Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded the car last week for a new MYP. I’ve just had enough with the out of warranty repairs.
I cannot believe how shockingly fast the new cars charge. Even on V2 SC. That said I have sticker shock from not having free unlimited SC. I kind of wish I kept the car but it would have become a liability next year when battery warranty expires.

In retrospect the coolant pump issues may have been caused by pothole damage that I had when the car bottomed out in a large hole on the long island expressway. The rear drive unit was replaced (under warranty) and whenever the error happened the rear DU was disabled and the car drove on the front only. Still don't know what happened or why. That car was at the shop so many times, including for a full HV battery replacement early on in my ownership which started in 2018.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE LATEST

- At the time of settlement, the documents show among the affected vehicles:

Max battery voltage fully restored = 1,552 cars
Between 93% and 95.5% restored = 34 cars
Between 95.5% and 99% restored = 79 cars
Battery replaced: 57 cars
Vehicles with data unavailable to access = 21 cars
Total = 1,743 cars

- The U.S. impacted owners are expected to get $625 each from the settlement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was there a final list of the 1,743 VINs that were affected?

Any person / vehicle that was part of this case released Tesla from all future claims. For $625, Tesla got a heck of a deal. They could essentially do whatever they want with these vehicles and be protected.

Last edited:
Would a new battery pack on an older model increase the charge speed?
Yes, especially if you get a new version 90 or 100. The main changes for charge speed are cooling. the original 60-85 packs cooling was inadequate, hence the faster charge taper. There was a re-design with the 100 packs that increased the cooling efficiency of pulling the heat away from the cells considerably.
Example in real world: Original 60-85's, after one good hard acceleration onto the freeway, acceleration was often limited (dotted lines) for a short bit after.

Was there a final list of the 1,743 VINs that were affected?

Any person / vehicle that was part of this case released Tesla from all future claims. For $625, Tesla got a heck of a deal. They could essentially do whatever they want with these vehicles and be protected.
If I understood this correctly, payment was strictly for the loss of use during that period. In that case, it does not apply to any future issue, reduction of capacity, etc. maybe someone here has more specific and factual information?

Reactions: DJRas and Droschke
If I understood this correctly, payment was strictly for the loss of use during that period. In that case, it does not apply to any future issue, reduction of capacity, etc. maybe someone here has more specific and factual information?
I thought it was broader but after reading it again, it looks like it's related only to that period. Thanks.

(bolded for emphasis)
Release of Claims 1. As of the Effective Date of this Agreement as defined below, Releasing Parties hereby fully and irrevocably release and forever discharge Released Parties from any and all liabilities, claims, cross-claims, causes of action, rights, actions, suits, debts, liens, contracts, agreements, damages, costs, attorneys’ fees, losses, expenses, obligations, or demands, of any kind whatsoever, whether known or unknown, existing or potential, or suspected or unsuspected, whether raised by claim, counterclaim, setoff, or otherwise, including any known or unknown claims, which they have or may claim now or in the future to have, that were or could have been alleged or asserted against any of the Released Parties in this Action arising from or relating to the changes to maximum battery voltage caused by the software updates Tesla issued in May 2019, July 2019 and March 2020 (“Released Claims”). The Released Claims do not cover claims relating to a motor vehicle accident or involving personal injury or property damage.

I received this "timely" response from the settlement administrator in this morning's email:

Thank you for contacting the Rasmussen et al. v. Tesla Settlement Administrator.

You are included in the Settlement Class if, anytime during the period from May 15, 2019 through September 1, 2020, you owned or leased a Model S vehicle that experienced a limitation of maximum battery voltage as the result of the May 2019 software update, provided that you do not exclude yourself from the Settlement.

For more information, please visit www.ModelSVoltageUpdateSettlement.com.

Nothing like a bunch of word salad six weeks after they shut the barn door.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I received this "timely" response from the settlement administrator in this morning's email:

Thank you for contacting the Rasmussen et al. v. Tesla Settlement Administrator.

You are included in the Settlement Class if, anytime during the period from May 15, 2019 through September 1, 2020, you owned or leased a Model S vehicle that experienced a limitation of maximum battery voltage as the result of the May 2019 software update, provided that you do not exclude yourself from the Settlement.

Did you contact them by email? Or snail mail? When was it sent?

Today, I also received the same canned reply to an inquiry I made in April of this year.

Did you contact them by email? Or snail mail? When was it sent?
I telephoned them and I emailed them in the spring after the settlement had been announced and several of you had received a postcard from the administrator.

My guess is that they ignored all correspondence until recently as they will be closing up shop and wanted to clear out their loose ends to satisfy their contract with the lawyers.

All that have contacted the settlement administrator and received one of these notices please PM me and I will contact the lawyers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015_090330.jpg
    Screenshot_20221015_090330.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 104
Capped packs are generally not capped on supercharging rates and packs that are crippled (software, BMS) have a max charge rate regardless of the source (the limitation is in the battery).
What you are describing sounds like an urban supercharger (what you call ‘v2’). Urban superchargers have a distinct look (shorter, black/white) and are paired with another stall - each with max 72kw.

has anyone with these 85 or less kw battery packs noticed a 70kw hard cap charging at v2 chargers?
i feel like mine started doing it this year sometime, v3 chargers still goes above that at low %

Well usually my charging speeds don't approach anything near that when it's in the steady state. Last time I supercharged probably several months ago it would still ramp up to about 118 maybe 119 KW but only for about 15 or 20 seconds before it quickly tapered back into the 70ish range and then would settle in to do the bulk of the charging in around 50 to 60