Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that is 12% degradation, same as in rated miles. Do you have a before the update screen shot of scan my Tesla to share?
Photo taken on dash in December showing 181 miles at around 98%. I've only recently started to use Scan My Tesla.

Attachments

• 20190708_084448.jpg
    20190708_084448.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 61
If they changed the rated range calculation such that they made the loss of range from the update “appear” less severe than it really was, that would be scandalous. But I don’t think Tesla did that.

I agree it would be scandalous.

Such a change was claimed to have happened earlier in this thread:
Also, somewhere along the trail of software updates Tesla HAS changed the rated range constant from 295 Wh/mile to 276 Wh/mi.
This has occurred on all cars that I have seen ScanMyTesla data from - including cars that have NOT been affected by the sudden range reduction.
This change to 276 Wh/mi artificially inflates your rated range.
I know of NOBODY that can average under 300 Wh/mi. My average over the last 2 years is 317 Wh/mi. The ONLY time I get below 300 is on the downhill half of my commute from 3,000 ft elevation to 4,240 ft and down to ~1,000 ft.

I tried to use this information to show that MY car now exceeds their 10% beyond normal degradation limit for warranty replacement.
But, they will not even look at my data from 3rd party apps.

Note below that TM-Spy data uses Nominal Full Pack and Nominal Remaining (includes to 4 kWh "brick buffer").
Their SOC is the SUC UI info in ScanMyTesla data.
I asked the author of TM-Spy about this and they believe showing the total battery capacity is the "truest" information. Even though the SOC does not track the vehicle's SOC display.

View attachment 426387

When I got home I sold my Tesla at a reduced price and reordered my Raven performance with ludicrous which I had canceled because I could not sell it. Luckily it was still available as they had turned it into a demo but it only had 58 miles on it. I will pick it up next week.

So Tesla bend you over and have their way with you with an SW update and you decide to sell with a loss and buy a new car from them straight away? I don't really understand the reasoning behind this.

So Tesla bend you over and have their way with you with an SW update and you decide to sell with a loss and buy a new car from them straight away? I don't really understand the reasoning behind this.

Tesla is still the only game in town for some folks, it is understandable from a long-range BEV/charging infrastructure point of view. That is why Tesla gets away with things many companies probably would not get away with.

But I’m sure it has some effect. I know people (myself included) who are today more hesitant about buying more Teslas than a year or two ago.

The math may be more complicated than that, because at some point this may have been accompanied by Tesla changing the rated range calculation. If the before number comes from the 295 Wh/mile era and after number from 276 Wh/mile, the difference would be significantly larger than 12%.

See discussion earlier in the thread eg:
This is not the case at least in my european car.

Please see this
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

• Informative
Reactions: electronblue
Btw @Matias or others, how relevant is the Energy app Projected Range when assessing Rated Range changes?
I’m sure if you would really want, you could tweak both, so there would be no discrepancy.

But one additional data point for supporting, that my cars “typical range” (term in european cars) is not affected is, that I charged my car to 100% almost exactly one year and 20t km intervals (the latter just last week), and the typical range has not changed (it was exactly the same). My car is in the plateau-part of the battery degradation, so it is imho possible, that the real range has not changed during one year and 20t kms.

Of course it could be possible, that Tesla has secretly cut my range and simultaneously exactly masked it by tweaking the typical range calculation.

Moderator, thanks for deleting my post. I monitor so many forums and threads, sometimes I forget where I am. My bad, I didn’t realize I was posting on this S thread. I’ll be more careful in the future.

I live in Denmark and i have a 2014 Model S. I have lost about 12% range, since updating. I contacted Tesla SC in Denmark in mid June. They didn't know anything and said they had run a diagnostic of my cars battery, but found no issues.

After I found this forum, I wrote to Tesla and complained. They told me that they were not aware of the update and range issue, when I contacted them in June, but now they had been made aware and were very sorry. They did not have any solution to the issue.

My latest.

From the shop foreman:

Good afternoon Mr. yuyyy I just wanted let you know that I have performed a second review of your battery capacity concern. As you have experienced a decrease of capacity since resent firmware it is all due to an updated profile that Tesla has determined to be a better operating range for your battery pack. This update is to promote a longer life span of you high voltage battery in the future. As any components in the vehicle, the HV battery as a whole and its internal components wear as it accumulates charge cycles and drive cycles. There an establish fact that all lithium batteries loose capacity over time. That being said, the profile Tesla has added to is to prevent future big drops in capacity or damage to battery cells. Why some vehicle are effected more than others? There are many factors that contribute such as age, charge and discharge cycles, operating temperatures over time and many others. Rest assure that Tesla will continue to improve the product and give you what is best for your current battery, as to the normal wear and decrease in capacity it is expected over time. Please feel free to reach out and ask any other questions you may have. Thank you.

My reply:

Mr. xxxx

This is unacceptable. Please restore the battery capacity and performance I purchased, minus the normal, expected, and to date experienced degradation.

If my battery is experiencing “normal degradation “ then it shouldn't need protecting via the recent software update, it would have been known to tesla for the last five years. If tesla decides to suddenly "protect" something five years after I was manufactured it, I suspect it's because something is very, very wrong.
I understand that you may not have the authority to for now, during these discussions, to push 2019.16.1.1 697c2ff to my car. Please send this email to someone that does have that authority, and copy me.

Regards,
yyyy

Provocative food for thought:

could it be, that we had a higher degradation throughout all those years and Tesla kept it artificially "masked" by OTA´s?

I wouldn't say so. If that's what has been taking place, we would have noticed the drop of the actual range anyway. The car can not stop with the dead battery when you would still see 20 miles/km of range to go, unless someone has already seen that.

Last edited: