Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. Each cell has a nominal value (3.66V) a maximum value (4.2V) and a minimum value. When the cell gets to maximum value, the car says it is 100% full. When it gets to minimum value it says it is 0% or empty. What Tesla appear to have done is change the value when the car thinks a cell is full. I understand the new value is about 4.1V, or thereabouts. (It may be different per car). So now, when your cells get to 4.1V, it says it is 100% full and stops charging. But it is full of cells at 4.1V, not 4.2V.
Here's the thing:

That would account for a 2.4% drop in range ((4.2-4.1) / 4.2). Which some of us have experienced -- after a few charging cycles, I seem to have experienced this. This is about a 5-6 mile range drop.

This does not account for the *serious* drop in range which many people have experienced.

@Ferrycraigs, Thanks for linking this article. Very interesting. Besides the fact that long ago I read somewhere (I think it was associated with the crowdsourced data on the Tesla degaration stats), that the cars with higher supercharging usage were showing much less degradation.

The question is whether this is caused by positive effect on dendrite growth, or because most user of superchargers charge only to a lower SOC and the battery is immediately after charging.

Tesloop had supercharged its first Tesla always to 100 % and got a battery replacement at 200,000 miles.

Reactions: DJRas
Here's the thing:

That would account for a 2.4% drop in range ((4.2-4.1) / 4.2). Which some of us have experienced -- after a few charging cycles, I seem to have experienced this. This is about a 5-6 mile range drop.

This does not account for the *serious* drop in range which many people have experienced.
The 2.4% figure would be correct if Vmin was 0.0V, but it’s not. My research has shown that Vnom is 3.66V and Vmax (when the car registers as 100% full) is 4.2V. I have not been able to establish what Vmin (when the car registers as 0% or empty) is. But if Vnom is 3.66, then Vmin is more likely to be around the 3.0V mark. If so, a 0.1V drop from 4.2V is much larger in % terms.

The 2.4% figure would be correct if Vmin was 0.0V, but it’s not. My research has shown that Vnom is 3.66V and Vmax (when the car registers as 100% full) is 4.2V. I have not been able to establish what Vmin (when the car registers as 0% or empty) is. But if Vnom is 3.66, then Vmin is more likely to be around the 3.0V mark. If so, a 0.1V drop from 4.2V is much larger in % terms.

The voltage curve is far from linear. At 4.1V you're close to 80% SoC:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...cell-versus-State-of-Charge-28_fig5_289994303

I was thinking today what is it I actually want to happen. Do I want a battery replacement? With a new battery, or even a refurbished battery? Nope. I want my old battery, that I have cosseted for 3 years, de-restricted. That’s all. Return Vmax to 4.2V. I get my range back. I get my consumption figures back, and I lose the extraordinary levels of Vampire drain (sometimes 4% per night). And it should be easy. If some reports are correct, Tesla seem to be aware the restriction is unnecessary, and non effective, but prefer to leave it in place whilst they sort the dodgy coding. I would rather they reverse the restrictions whilst they sort the dodgy coding.

I'm so glad you have joined this discussion. Excellent posts!

1) From what I recall being reported here, not even one impacted owner has been told by tesla the battery needs to be replaced. I take that Tesla sees all those reported batteries indeed "safe". If Tesla is to be believed, well, that's pretty comforting. (So, I ask, why then 30 miles of range has been taken away from me overnight? See#2)

2) At the same time, Tesla has stated that the goal of the infamous update was to “protect the battery and improve battery longevity” and the range loss has affected only “a small percentage of owners”

- “protect the battery and improve battery longevity”: I see this as warranty replacement deflection (Even though who would argue their batteries should not be protected and should not age long!!!). What if some owners do not want to improve battery longevity but to keep the range? They never asked for it to begin with. To “protect the battery" from what? From driving with the "windows down" as Tesla tech support keep mentioning? Explain why these batteries need more protection beyond what BMS has been doing in the past? What's unique about this "small percentage" that has required extra protection?

- “a small percentage of owners”: Explain what that means, what's the percentage? Percentage of which total? All this needs to be communicated with this "small percentage of owners”.

BTW, #2 debunks the "software bug" myth. Tesla has already said it was intentional. Should we believe Tesla or not?

Imagine this:
You're hunting for X, but you unintentionally find something new: Z. Now let's assume you know X and it's actually a really bad thing that can make the battery catch fire randomly. You really wanna keep an eye out for it. You will have to *add* even more code to make sure you can differentiate between X and Z and lessen the impact of Z onto the BMS parameters.

Would you want to roll back the update hunting for X? What would people say if somebody died in a house fire because of an issue that they could have detected but rolled back the detection software so "a few" customers get their original range back.

I'd rather give those affected a loaner and try to sort it out correctly, even if it takes some time and will make some customers unhappy.

Would you want to roll back the update hunting for X? What would people say if somebody died in a house fire because of an issue that they could have detected but rolled back the detection software so "a few" customers get their original range back.

No, I want a safe battery with no fire. Tesla has already told me my battery is safe. Good.

Then what about the 30 miles range loss? Tesla is telling me is to protect and prolong. For how long it's protected/prolonged? Till warranty expires?

This is a very touchy topic.

Okay, quick newby question for those in the know. My 70D with 58,000miles from 1/2016 has a 100% of 186 miles left after the update, yay. Supercharging at best in the 70‘s and takes 30 to 40% longer. Phantom drain 4% a day.
I‘m currently overseas for another 5 weeks with the Tesla sitting in the garage at 50%, so if the electricity fails my baby will flatline in 13 days. Is it a problem to store a Model S and have it run out of juice for a few weeks? How paranoid should I be?

I truly hope I come back home to some fresh software and my 300+miles range restored...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
No, I want a safe battery with no fire. Tesla has already told me my battery is safe. Good.

Then what about the 30 miles range loss? Tesla is telling me is to protect and prolong. For how long it's protected/prolonged? Till warranty expires?

This is a very touchy topic.

My guess: your car was falsely diagnosed with X, so the BMS blocked the upper 30 miles, even though you have Z. A fix for misdiagnosing Z will come asap, which in this case might take a few more weeks, since you don't just slap new code on a fleet of vehicles without thorough testing.
I don't think the protect/prolong thing applies to your specific case, since it's misdiagnosing. They might have also changed loads of other stuff that we didn't notice, because that's what I'd imagine they'd aim for.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: neroden and DJRas
Tesla is walking on a very thin ice. It takes one mainstream journalist to make a story about this ant sh*t hits the fan.

Perhaps that would be the best for the owners with the problem. Tesla had enough time to explain what is the problem and how they will solve it.

I’m very happy my P85D has not the problem up to now ... but nobody knows what may happen the next time

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Matias
My guess: your car was falsely diagnosed with X, so the BMS blocked the upper 30 miles, even though you have Z.

I hope you are right on that.

A fix for misdiagnosing Z will come asap, which in this case might take a few more weeks, since you don't just slap new code on a fleet of vehicles without thorough testing.

"thorough testing" from Tesla? o_O

I don't think the procted/prolong thing applies to your specific case, since it's misdiagnosing.

I don't think my case is that specific based on what I've seen, it's pretty similar to others with the same degree of loss. But even if it is, is it possible for a manufacturer to drag the warranty period to its expiration date by prescribing painkillers in meantime? I believe so. It's in their best interest, but not mine. Furthermore, I've not read anywhere that the software updates are forever. What does an owner with no painkiller who is also out of warranty, the same warranty which would have resulted in no need for the painkillers if it would had applied earlier, would do? (Perspective: my car is 4 years old with only 43K miles, with the projection of much less than the double amount in 8 years)

Again, a touchy topic.