Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a 2013 S85 owner, I have been watching this thread for weeks now with sympathy for the affected members here and dread for any large range reduction on mine, which has not occurred. I just Supercharged my car and it shows 223 miles of range @ 90%. That is minimally down from my last observation in June. My 85 has 103K miles on it and since reading this thread I have avoided further upgrades from its current 2019.16.2 version. Do you folks think I should continue to postpone upgrades?

Again, my sincere sympathy to those of you who have seen extreme range depletion. Tesla should be much more forthcoming with this issue.

Seth

Can you scan and post that? It's an open admission that they are attempting to throw their battery warranty in the trash.
I might be sceptical but that sounds more like a service manager's opinion than him forwarding official Tesla policy. But if he is paraphrasing official policy rather than just giving his opinion then yes, that’s ammunition.

Reactions: Droschke
As a 2013 S85 owner, I have been watching this thread for weeks now with sympathy for the affected members here and dread for any large range reduction on mine, which has not occurred. I just Supercharged my car and it shows 223 miles of range @ 90%. That is minimally down from my last observation in June. My 85 has 103K miles on it and since reading this thread I have avoided further upgrades from its current 2019.16.2 version. Do you folks think I should continue to postpone upgrades?

Again, my sincere sympathy to those of you who have seen extreme range depletion. Tesla should be much more forthcoming with this issue.

Seth
It is widely held that 2019.16.1.1 is the battery restricting update (sometimes referred to as batterygate). So your feet are already in the shark tank. 2019.20.4.2 seems to be the one that restricts charging speed (sometimes referred to as chargegate)

I am also on 2019.16.1 and personally it will be cold day in hell before I download another update, or until such time as Tesla publish a solution to batterygate and chargegate. But many people will, and do, advise that there are always advantages to updating. Your choice!

• Informative
Whether he made it up or not he's representing Tesla and is admitting this is theft perpetrated to avoid an admitted warranty issue.

Theft isn't a compromise, it's one taking and one side getting taken. Compromise would be refunding $10k - $35k that was spent buying what tesla admits they have stolen. They took money for a product they took back with nothing exchanged, and tried to hide what they did after they were caught. That's not a compromise by any definition.

I don't think many of us will update any more, tesla turned OTA into a game of russian roulette or global thermonuclear war, and teh only winning move is not to play. They know it too, since they tried to retroactively change their warranty terms to force updates.

Imagine what they'll do after the warranty is over and they don't feel like hiding downgrades any more.

Whether he made it up or not he's representing Tesla and is admitting this is theft perpetrated to avoid an admitted warranty issue.

Theft isn't a compromise, it's one taking and one side getting taken. Compromise would be refunding $10k - $35k that was spent buying what tesla admits they have stolen. They took money for a product they took back with nothing exchanged, and tried to hide what they did after they were caught. That's not a compromise by any definition.

I don't think many of us will update any more, tesla turned OTA into a game of russian roulette or global thermonuclear war, and teh only winning move is not to play.
Well I didn’t see any admission of theft or that it was done to avoid warranty issues. It actually said it was done to avoid fires and was viewed by them as a compromise. Of course whether we believe that or agree that, is a very different matter.

And yes, whether it’s his opinion or not, he is absolutely representing Tesla so should chose his words with care.

• Informative
Do you folks think I should continue to postpone upgrades?

I personally wouldn't. @wk057 is investigating (see earlier in this thread... sorry I'm not going to find exactly where) and his recommendation was that if you get the range drop, there may be legitimate safety reasons for it.

If you regularly need your max range, then maybe the risk is worth it. Just don't leave your car parked too close to your house :D

I personally wouldn't. @wk057 is investigating (see earlier in this thread... sorry I'm not going to find exactly where) and his recommendation was that if you get the range drop, there may be legitimate safety reasons for it.

If you regularly need your max range, then maybe the risk is worth it. Just don't leave your car parked too close to your house :D
Actually he said, in post 1647, 'if you have a car with an 85 Type pack (85 or 70) then you should probably update if you either Supercharge a lot or charge to 100% often, or both.

But of course that advice relates specifically to the capacity problem.

Attachments

• 60279E6A-2EF3-40C2-B53F-7EF7B96FBA10.png
    60279E6A-2EF3-40C2-B53F-7EF7B96FBA10.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • E883982F-1930-4613-9194-F696BD0B515F.png
    E883982F-1930-4613-9194-F696BD0B515F.png
    951 KB · Views: 75
  • 85E3D8EC-1045-46F6-947F-61870C81D2B9.png
    85E3D8EC-1045-46F6-947F-61870C81D2B9.png
    681.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

I never leave it parked when full.... Period.

Reactions: Whiteblaze
Actually he said, in post 1647, 'if you have a car with an 85 Type pack (85 or 70) then you should probably update if you either Supercharge a lot or charge to 100% often, or both.

But of course that advice relates specifically to the capacity problem.

Ah, thanks for digging it up.

I feel like this thread needs some kind of sticky post that highlights key parts like wk's investigation, the google spreadsheet, and that awesome summary whose author I unfortunately don't recall (another reason we need all that stuff in one place!) @lightningltd was it?

And just to be clear, when I said "I personally wouldn't..." above, I meant I wouldn't postpone the update, not that I wouldn't update.

Ah, thanks for digging it up.

I feel like this thread needs some kind of sticky post that highlights key parts like wk's investigation, the google spreadsheet, and that awesome summary whose author I unfortunately don't recall (another reason we need all that stuff in one place!) @lightningltd was it?

And just to be clear, when I said "I personally wouldn't..." above, I meant I wouldn't postpone the update, not that I wouldn't update.

Summary, In a nutshell , courtesy of @lightningltd.

Reactions: DJRas
I didn't dispute what you wrote but didn't understand what you were taking issue with. I see now and thanks for explaining. I was misremembering that I thought someone else explained the Porsche counter as resulting in some performance changes on the car, but I see now it was just used to deny warranty claims ? Or the purchase of extended warranties ?
I understand now - we were talking past each other. No hard feelings, I hope! Supposedly, type 2 and higher revs were supposed to deny warranty coverage/CPO eligibility, but your 911virgin.com link implies they loosened up on that. I was slightly annoyed to discover that my GT3 was CPO'ed with a few type 2's and hidden accident damage (despite the clean carfax).

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark

Look at this smeghead breaking the trendline:
Image 8-5-19 at 8.59 PM.jpg

So about two months ago I was stuck on 2019.4 because my MCU was dying and unable to connect to Wi-Fi to update and eventually died from the e-MMC issue. My replacement MCU came with 2019.24 installed and after driving my car for less than 50 miles I dropped from 221 rated miles at 90% to 199 rated miles at 90%.

2013 Model S P85 with A series battery. Battery was rebuilt by Tesla at about 50,000 miles due to a "cell imbalance" which hindered supercharging and charging.

I challenge anyone in this thread to try and connect with someone from Tesla or through Facebook twitter however you can get attention to this issue. I have looked and searched a lot of profiles on LinkedIn and almost 99% of employees at Tesla lock their profiles. I did tick off that engineer at Tesla and he posted a response still waiting for the follow up. Class action pending sorry too much money on the table to let this one slide. Tesla your playing with fire on this one.

Whilst I can see the sense in trying to avoid fires, and reducing the capacity may help achieve this, (but will it or are there better alternatives) but surely the solution is to replaced the capped battery with a larger capped battery that, after capping, equals the same as the original battery before it was capped. After all, we are told this only affects a small percentage of owners.
I have a friend who is also suffering from reduced capacity. He drives, unusually, a 75D which is actually a corked 85D. After he downloaded THAT update, his capacity dropped further, as normal. After complaining, a lot, they uncorked the 75-85 bit, and his capacity rose back up to 68kWhs. Not quite back to the original 75, but much better than it was. So, sort of what I was suggesting above.