Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about the option that they put a bug in their BMS update?
ZERO. If that's all it was, wk057 would not have been told to stay out of the discussion either by Tesla or legal counsel. Tesla would not be telling owners, nationally, that this update limited range in order to extend the life of the battery. None of Tesla's actions are consistent with your conjecture. None. Why do you work so hard at defending Tesla's bad behavior? Are you a major stockholder or something?

Last edited:
Regrettably, I've been advised to stay out of this issue.

Suffice it to say, I'm less than convinced they're going to do the right thing here... but, unfortunately I just don't have the resources to waste defending myself should Tesla actually decide to try something stupid against me on this.

Best of luck with the class action case.

Understood, and thanks so much for helping us as much as you could.

Suffice it to say, I'm less than convinced they're going to do the right thing here... but, unfortunately I just don't have the resources to waste defending myself should Tesla actually decide to try something stupid against me on this.

(Truth) Not what I was hoping to hear, but again not surprising. Thank you for looking into this on our behalf.

(Speculation) It sounds like the Vmax limits are here to stay for some time, if time passes without any spontaneous battery combustion they might get a bump of 10 mV or so at a point in the future and that may repeat every time 6 “safe” months pass.

(Opinion) Tesla seems to be protecting itself like a wounded wild animal right now. This might be far worse than we know, and they are being silent about the issue because being forced to replace tens of thousands of battery packs might be a killer blow to the company, both in terms of replacement costs and lost sales.

(Pessimistic doomsday scenario) Tesla is bankrupted from having to replace what NHTSA or other government agencies consider unsafe battery packs. General Motors or Ford buy what is left of the technology and designs, promptly shelve all of it and continue to build giant 15 MPG SUVs.

Load the most recent updates when you get them. It’s looking like range/battery capacity is slowly coming back for some affected vehicles.

I have yet to see one CANBUS screen shot showing any capacity increase. I'm still on v8 and my kWh total capacity varies throughout a 1 kWh range from week to week. Someone posting that they think they saw a two mile increase in range since the last update means nothing.

Well - for what its worth, my range went up a bit after updating to 2019.28.2 320fba0. It is a single point. My first SC after updating. The chart doesn't reflect it as Teslafi doesn't record all my charges, but on getting my car, charging and range were very solid, repeatable numbers. Then SW updates, range and SC rate dropped and remained low. SC rate fluctuates but has not come close to high rate previously. Today was the closest it has come to pre-sw update territory.
Capture.JPG

I too have seen some recovered capacity since 2019.28.2.
I have gotten back 2 kWh and 8 miles rated range.
Still have 6kWh and 24 miles to go.
But it is a start.

Again this shows this was not normal degradation and PURELY artificial software limitation.

I still HOPE this was never related to the fires or Lithium dendrites or plating.
Until Tesla opens up about this... we still have issues.

Do you have any vmax readings before and after the new update?

Concern: Customer states: Range has drop from 219 miles @ 90% in May 2019 to 197 miles @ 90% in 1 month.
-NO REPAIRS NEEDED.-Wear is expected on the HV battery pack along with some alteration of performance.-We are aware that a very small percentage of owners who own older Model S and Model X vehicles may notice a small reduction in range when charging to a maximum state of charge.-This occurred following a software update that we released last month to protect the battery and improve battery longevity of Model S and X cars, and does not have any other impact to the vehicle. While charging behavior will always vary based on how a vehicle is driven, charged, vehicle age, and other factors, we will improve the impact on range for this small group of owners.

This should be exhibit 1 in the class action. You have it in writing that they consider a sudden overnight reduction in range from 249 to 217 a "small reduction" in range and that they did it simply to increase longevity which the customer could do on their own by not charging above 90% very often.

No change to my car with the update still the same mileage 2019.28.2 version. I had lost 30 miles and that has stayed the same. I ordered a battery reader and waiting on correct cable then I can hopefully tell if capacity is higher or lower, and no I have not supercharged with the new update.

Can you provide URLs for the correct equipment? Cable and monitor...

Thanks!

So you first lost 14 and now got 7 back?
My initial 100% charge after being clipped, was 237 miles down from 254. So as much as 17 with a subsequent charge of 239 miles. Then I had a charge of 244 miles @100%. After update 2019.28.2, I had a 90% charge in the morning of 216 miles, and a night time charge to 247 miles @100%. So currently clipped 7 miles @100%. Will find out if that improves with subsequent charges.

Well - for what its worth, my range went up a bit after updating to 2019.28.2 320fba0. It is a single point. My first SC after updating. The chart doesn't reflect it as Teslafi doesn't record all my charges, but on getting my car, charging and range were very solid, repeatable numbers. Then SW updates, range and SC rate dropped and remained low. SC rate fluctuates but has not come close to high rate previously. Today was the closest it has come to pre-sw update territory. View attachment 440206

That is encouraging but I still want to see voltage at x range with y update compared to voltage at x range with z update before I believe there was a true bump in range.

Reactions: Guy V
Sorry I'm late to the party here. 2013 P85 83K. Mine started a little different. My HV battery went bad 3 months ago and was replaced shortly before the update, At pickup it only showed 226 and I was told to the BMS needed to cycle a few times and it would go back to 250 or better (I have a nice clip). After many cycles, no change. I could go 210 miles at 300 wh/mi and hit motor reduction, with 10 miles left. 6 visits were terminated with texts like these;

Good morning this is Tedd with Tesla service. I have looked into your vehicle over your battery range concern. I am pleased to say that the High Voltage battery in your vehicle is healthy and shows no signs of issues or active alerts. The HV battery installed in your vehicle is a Tesla re-manufactured HV battery that is slightly better rated than the HV battery that was removed due to an internal failure. It is also important to remember that the rated range displayed next to the HV battery charge level on the center display is just an estimation and does not reflect the true range of the vehicle, as the end-of-drive conditions are based on real-time battery measurements of reducing battery power, rather than software estimates.No further diagnosis is needed and service visit not required at this time, would you like to cancel your appointment?

Further diagnosing into your concern along with your recent timestamp found no faults or active issues or alerts with your vehicle or the High Voltage battery system. The HV battery installed in your vehicle is a Tesla re-manufactured HV battery that is equal to or better than the HV battery removed. Both batteries have a build date of 2013 and the HV battery installed in the vehicle right now shows to be slightly better than the battery removed. For trying to calculate the batteries Kilowatt hour capacity it is important to remember that HV battery contains an energy reserve within the over all capacity. It also will use battery energy to maintain the 12v battery and run the vehicle's HVAC system to heat or cool the HV battery when the even when the vehicle is not in use. Your vehicle is working as designed for its age and usage. We can cancel this appointment at this time.

I finally got an appointment at a different SC that wasn't cancelled. On Friday the 9th of August, I went in and instead of blowing me off they fell all over themselves. Told me that they had this happen to someone else and would see if my pack had been limited to 90%. Surprise! My pack had this mysterious bug. They said they would call California and get me on a list. They said an update would come this week that I would not notice and it would be back to 248 or better. We'll see.

--

Tesla doesn't want wk057 talking, either, as they have shut him down. It's quite clear Tesla are trying to keep the lid on something potentially damaging.

Advised by whom?

I’m not so familiar with the U.S. legal system, but how could Tesla impose that?

There’s the first amendment...

I think it’s implied that wk057 has people inside Tesla engineering that communicate with him off the record and if he wants to keep those communications channels open he should not wade to deep into this one.

Apologies for being purposely vague, but let me just clarify that my decision to back off on this is not dictated by Tesla or anyone at Tesla... as much as they seem to wish that were the case. I can legally continue doing what I do, saying what I say, etc... but, unfortunately, the risk in continuing to do so on this matter is just a bit too high for me to deal with at the moment.

So while I can technically keep poking the bear on this by posting more information, revelations, and such... the bear has quite a few more teeth than I do (read: money and lawyers) if it decides to make my life miserable... and I have good reason to believe this particular bear will tolerate no further poking from me on this.

Edit: On that note, it does seem like a lawsuit is the only way this is going to get anywhere... so, again, best of luck with the class action.