Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have reading this thread for a while but been silent thus far as I haven't seen a huge loss in RM, but have had a funny sequence of events many of which have been mentioned above:

2. I have noticed recently the "power" issue below about 50% charge, when I stamp on the gas I get a yellow dashed line and the power is limited a bit, getting worse the lower the SOC is (understand normal below c.20% but shouldn't be the case as high as 50%) I have asked the SC about this but they said it was "normal" as always;

4. My car now is constantly waking itself up. According to TeslaFi it now only sleeps for an hour at a time, then wakes up for 45 mins, all day and all night. This is obviously increasing vampire drain, but also makes me wonder if Tesla are pulling logs from it or something. Up until now it's slept fine so this is new, since the install of 2019.28.2.

The car is a 2014 S85, currently on 2019.28.2

I also had power limiting on Monday morning at 60% SOC when temps were in the mid 70's. I did an autocross on Sunday and didn't charge after. never used to see that + temperature sensitivity on regen is much different at middle SOC. range all seems the same on mine
1.JPG

I don't think that is 100% true. WK057 has said that going to a 100kWh pack requires suspension upgrades, at least for cars with coil suspension.

The 100kWh upgrade that Tesla did also required seat replacement and I think changes to the door panels.
I thought it was just a different pack connection + software to trick the car into thinking it has 2 motors
am really hoping to get a 100 in my car in the future.

I thought it was just a different pack connection + software to trick the car into thinking it has 2 motors
am really hoping to get a 100 in my car in the future.

That may be all that is technically necessary, but WK057 said he would not do it without making all the other necessary changes for liability reasons. So if you have air suspension it probably isn't that big of a deal, but if you have coil suspension forget it.

In either case I doubt Tesla will be doing it anytime soon. (If they are going to offer an upgrade I think it would be after implementing the new Maxwell battery technology so that the larger packs weighs the same/less than your current one to avoid any suspension issues.)

4. My car now is constantly waking itself up. According to TeslaFi it now only sleeps for an hour at a time, then wakes up for 45 mins, all day and all night. This is obviously increasing vampire drain, but also makes me wonder if Tesla are pulling logs from it or something. Up until now it's slept fine so this is new, since the install of 2019.28.2.
I don't have TeslaFi but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that following a SW recent update there is a bit of a conflict between TeslaFi and the car causing it to wake up much more often. If I recall correctly there is a fix where you set TeslaFi to poll slightly less often. Sorry to be vague but maybe if you do a search you can pull up a fix/workaround for the sleep issue.

Owners who experienced range loss report much higher vampire drain and the sound of something like a pump running frequently so I don't think that's happening in your case.

Got another 5 miles back today after charging to 90%. This plus the previous 5 miles gain after the previous charge to 90% sets me at the total of 10 miles gain so far @90% SoC. At least in my case, looks like the gains have definitely been gradual (the optimistic view), or all this might be temporary due to the adverse PR (the pessimistic view).

The update imposed loss was 30 miles total.

I'm still at 2018.28.2.

On Edit: Both charging sessions were at the superchargers.

Last edited:
I keep hearing that, though some people say it is 20 years. I have looked but never been able to find a law/regulation that states that. Can you point me to where that comes from?
CAL. CIV. CODE § 1793.2 : California Code - Section 1793.2
  • (a) Every manufacturer of consumer goods sold in this state and for which the manufacturer has made an express warranty shall:
    • (3) Make available to authorized service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and replacement parts to effect repairs during the express warranty period.
"US Federal Law"
1) Warranties

Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

The act says that warranties must be "conspicuously designated" as either a Full Warranty or as a Limited Warranty. I believe the terms of the act mostly apply to full waranties. I note that makers tend to advertise "powertrain warranties" etc rather than "full warranties". (example)

See FTC advice for more on "Full" vs "Limited" warranties and other aspects of the act. A powertrain warranty can be either full or limited (as defined in the act).

"Parts"
A consequence is that vehicle manufacturers must be able to provide parts during the term of a warranty (if any) made at the time of sale. They need not make or stock these parts themselves.

Vehicle makers could choose not to do so, but then they would be required to provide a replacement vehicle or a full refund of the vehicle cost. In practice it is usually more cost effective for makers to procure replacement parts to effect a warranty repair.

A further consequence is therefore that replacement parts are also available to people who do not have a warranty claim.

CAL. CIV. CODE § 1793.2 : California Code - Section 1793.2
  • (a) Every manufacturer of consumer goods sold in this state and for which the manufacturer has made an express warranty shall:
    • (3) Make available to authorized service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and replacement parts to effect repairs during the express warranty period.
"US Federal Law"
1) Warranties

Consumer products are not required to have warranties, but if one is given, it must comply with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

The act says that warranties must be "conspicuously designated" as either a Full Warranty or as a Limited Warranty. I believe the terms of the act mostly apply to full waranties. I note that makers tend to advertise "powertrain warranties" etc rather than "full warranties". (example)

See FTC advice for more on "Full" vs "Limited" warranties and other aspects of the act. A powertrain warranty can be either full or limited (as defined in the act).

"Parts"
A consequence is that vehicle manufacturers must be able to provide parts during the term of a warranty (if any) made at the time of sale. They need not make or stock these parts themselves.

Vehicle makers could choose not to do so, but then they would be required to provide a replacement vehicle or a full refund of the vehicle cost. In practice it is usually more cost effective for makers to procure replacement parts to effect a warranty repair.

A further consequence is therefore that replacement parts are also available to people who do not have a warranty claim.

I've seen that, but could not find a reference to the mentioned 10 years period. So, for the Tesla batteries it should be the same 8 years availability, which makes sense.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and DJRas
(3) Make available to authorized service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and replacement parts to effect repairs during the express warranty period.

That certainly isn't helpful since only Tesla is authorized to make a lot of the repairs.

"Parts"

Got it, so no requirement that parts be available for a specific length of time, be it the 10 or 20 years that people keep saying.

Though Tesla will need to have battery packs available, or the ability to repair them, for at least 8 years from the last time they sold a given model/capactiy. (Unless they want to replace whole cars.)

Got another 5 miles back today after charging to 90%. This plus the previous 5 miles gain after the previous charge to 90% sets me at the total of 10 miles gain so far @90% SoC. At least in my case, looks like the gains have definitely been gradual (the optimistic view), or all this might be temporary due to the adverse PR (the pessimistic view).
The update imposed loss was 30 miles total.
I'm still at 2018.28.2.

hi Droschke, are you using SC? Wanted to compare with my results. I'm charging at work at 3.5-6.7kW. Not sure if this would make any difference at this time.

I have a "feeling" that after my last update of 2019.28.2 that my regen has changed. I don't have the diagnostic equipment to prove it, but it sure feels like reduced regen to me for a longer number of miles after charging. I thought maybe with this latest software voodoo, I may have been possibly mistaken and was being hypercritical. Now that you have mentioned it, I bring forth my feeling.

It also "seems" that I am using more battery per miles traveled. However it is very hot here right now and all of the cooling that is necessary is obviously responsible for some but it seems like it is eating more battery than normal under the same conditions. I have not been as critical/observant before to make an accurate comparison.

Neither of my last two statements are based on scientific discovery.

Thanks Evoforce. Seems to me they have made changes to regen in the midst of the the issues after 16.x, at least on my car.
I've seen multiple changes in regen behavior aligned with SW updates since May 15. It seems to now have settled where above 50mph, the car just doesn't slow down much. I only charged above 90% once since May 15th, and I know regen was very weak initially, but I can't determine where it went back to normal as I went on freeway and drove for a while.
As far as miles, I can't quite tell if I'm using more miles for miles traveled (it seems somewhat), but what i do notice is that initial first miles after charge, especially if driven on freeway are usually reflected 3x in RM...and then it seems to normalize.
AC issue is completely new - this one I'm 100% certain about :(. Lack of communication makes me feel it also has something to do with battery usage so it appears car can travel more on certain capacity as AC is used less. More transparent and truthful communication would certainly help.

The latest 100 kWh battery will fit and work just fine in an old Model S from 2012. The battery and car are designed for that. Tesla has just been very reluctant. As far as I know they only allow same size batteries and they charge a ridiculous price while demanding the old battery back. A Tesla battery pack is worth $12-$18k on the market.

As opposed to all of the other car makers that offer spare and replacement parts at very low prices, with no profit included?

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE and bhzmark
At least in the U.S., the car companies are required by law to have parts available for the period of 10 years. I sure hope the battery pack is not excluded. Of course, the price is a different story.

When I bought my car the battery replacement was one of my questions and was told by Tesla not only it will be available, but will be a way much cheaper and also also bigger in capacity (upgrade)!

I'm suspicious that Tesla is nervous about creating new vehicle variants. Once they start putting newer gen batteries into old cars, they are creating new hardware combinations that never existed before, and that increases the number of combinations that have to be tested prior to pushing out new software.

I may be wrong... just a suspicion.

I'm suspicious that Tesla is nervous about creating new vehicle variants. Once they start putting newer gen batteries into old cars, they are creating new hardware combinations that never existed before, and that increases the number of combinations that have to be tested prior to pushing out new software.

I may be wrong... just a suspicion.

I wish that was the only reason. I think it's more like they want you to trade your old for a new car.

Once they start putting newer gen batteries into old cars, they are creating new hardware combinations that never existed before, and that increases the number of combinations that have to be tested prior to pushing out new software.n.

Testing? That's a thing that old school companies do. Tesla plays by silicon valley rules, ship it fast and worry about the problems later.