Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how many other owners are out their who still have not noticed an issue but have battery gate and charge gate?

I am still waiting on corporate to approve a fix for my battery the local service center has recommended a fix as well we will see. Maybe this is part of the so called escalation process and since I just got my car in May I am hopeful of some resolution which ideally would be a replacement battery.
what is battery gate and charge gate?

what is battery gate and charge gate?

Batterygate is capping of the max cell voltage from 4.2 down to 4.07V causing a 10%+ drop in battery capacity and therefore range.

Chargegate is a big reduction in DC fast charging speeds typically experienced when Supercharging. Some owners are reporting upto a 50% increase in Supercharging times compared to prior to the recent software updates.

Basically both are very bad news for owners; in some cases making the vehicle no longer suitable for the mission(s) it was purchased for (commute or long distance driving).

Batterygate is capping of the max cell voltage from 4.2 down to 4.07V causing a 10%+ drop in battery capacity and therefore range.

Chargegate is a big reduction in DC fast charging speeds typically experienced when Supercharging. Some owners are reporting upto a 50% increase in Supercharging times compared to prior to the recent software updates.

Basically both are very bad news for owners; in some cases making the vehicle no longer suitable for the mission(s) it was purchased for (commute or long distance driving).
2019.28.2 increased max cell voltage to 4.088V, up from 4.07 with 2019.16.x

• Informative
Reactions: boywonder and Guy V
BRICKED.

I have been having range concerns and voiced them to Tesla. Was recording range but doing low mileage city driving. Getting less than 2 miles per 1% charge. Run my charge level between 20-70 or 80%. Noticed more water under car. More fan noise. Been getting many many updates every week ( sometimes twice in a week - update note page blank -but have not monitored what numbers they are. But even my wife said Big Brother is visiting a lot as my dash gets frequent center screen set time for upgrade.

Last week it bricked after overnight in my garage with 50% read on battery charge. ( cannot see if firmware was updated) Not plugged in. Dash read 49% but with warning : cell low voltage. Undriveable. Then went black. 2015 P85D. 48K miles. Tesla Towed it in. No word yet. They have had at least two full shop days. App still set on August 20 can’t connect. Is Big Brother in California looking at this and the locals just waiting?

To @Droschke and @swegman who disagreed here is the statement from a Tesla service center earlier in this thread suggesting a 10% window related to warranty battery replacements. The 10% seems to be after age/mileage considerations but my point stands, could Tesla be wanting to delay battery checks after the new firmware update to avoid having this internal guidance exceeded? Did the initial update take some cars under 90% of range for cars of that age? (There are plenty of suggestions of that earlier in this thread but Tesla denied the relevancy of third-party data.)

To @Droschke and @swegman who disagreed here is the statement from a Tesla service center earlier in this thread suggesting a 10% window related to warranty battery replacements. The 10% seems to be after age/mileage considerations but my point stands, could Tesla be wanting to delay battery checks after the new firmware update to avoid having this internal guidance exceeded? Did the initial update take some cars under 90% of range for cars of that age? (There are plenty of suggestions of that earlier in this thread but Tesla denied the relevancy of third-party data.)

You could well be correct!
I noticed this too!
With the 2019.16.x updates my range dropped to 217 miles. Which is 204 miles using 295 Wh/mile. This was outside their 208 mile warranty replacement limit (but refused to use my calculation)
Today I am stable at 226 mile max range (or 211 miles using 295 Wh/mile]. Thus, comfortably within their 208 mile limit.
208 = 231 × 90%

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and Guy V

Thanks for clarifying. I now see what you are referring to (the @DJRas post). I was more thinking of any published Tesla document.

I reversed my vote to a Like ;)

Reactions: DJRas and Guy V

If not already, your post will be indexed by Google soon. It already has @Ferrycraigs post indexed and could have been looked up (@Ferrycraigs invented the phrases) , even though your definition is more dictionary type ;)

Reactions: Chaserr and Guy V
You could well be correct!
I noticed this too!
With the 2019.16.x updates my range dropped to 217 miles. Which is 204 miles using 295 Wh/mile. This was outside their 208 mile warranty replacement limit (but refused to use my calculation)
Today I am stable at 226 mile max range (or 211 miles using 295 Wh/mile]. Thus, comfortably within their 208 mile limit.
208 = 231 × 90%

Of course, that 231 miles Fleet-wide average is based on your car's variables of age and mileage. The problem is no one knows what their formula would yield for another car.

If not already, your post will be indexed by Google soon. It already has @Ferrycraigs post indexed and could have been looked up (@Ferrycraigs invented the phrases) , even though your definition is more dictionary type ;)
I think both terms were previously used in regard to the Apple battery issue. So however tempting, I can’t claim the invention. I use them here simply as a convenient term.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and Guy V
Ridiculous vampire drain!
So, I was in Norway for a week.
I parked Saturday Aug 17 morning 9:23 am with 129 mile rated range (57%)
I returned Aug 24 7:31 pm with 69 miles remaining (30%).
I lost 60 miles in 7.4 days or 8.1 miles per day

May 3 at 3:08pm I left my car for another trip with 136 miles (55%) and returned May 12 at 5:26pm with 83 miles remaining.
I lost 53 miles in 9.1 days or 5.8 miles per day.

That is a 38% increase in daily range loss.
All settings were the same between the trips.

Also, Teslas aren't supposed to be charged to 100% often, and only when immediately used on a long trip.
I don't think that's Tesla's official position. Elon has said many times that you shouldn't fear charging to 100% if you need the range. Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, and VW are building high-end buffers into their batteries and range calculations so as to avoid what's happening to Tesla owners. It's a smart move on their part that will lead to a more satisfying ownership experience when it comes to charging and range degradation.

The EQC, thanks to its top-end buffer, tapers only to 17kW at full charge. Compare that to Tesla's taper at full charge. Faster overall charge time w/ EQC due to its smarter buffer design.

Ridiculous vampire drain!
So, I was in Norway for a week.
I parked Saturday Aug 17 morning 9:23 am with 129 mile rated range (57%)
I returned Aug 24 7:31 pm with 69 miles remaining (30%).
I lost 60 miles in 7.4 days or 8.1 miles per day

May 3 at 3:08pm I left my car for another trip with 136 miles (55%) and returned May 12 at 5:26pm with 83 miles remaining.
I lost 53 miles in 9.1 days or 5.8 miles per day.

That is a 38% increase in daily range loss.
All settings were the same between the trips.
Isn't it curious that Tesla doesn't mention vampire drain when you buy the car? They tout all of these cost savings versus an ICE vehicle, yet they conveniently ignore the cost of vampire drain. Here in Arizona I can lose 10 miles or more per day. Where is that in Tesla's cost of ownership calculator?

Also, while in Norway I rented a Tesla Model S 75D.
I used the Superchargers there (very different connector - also, different again for M3s)
I charged to 100% 367 km (228 miles). It was still charging at 8 kW at 100% (unaffected by charge-gate!).
20190822_170449.jpg

300px-Iec-type2-ccs-combo2-and-iec-type2-charging-connectors-side-by-side.jpg

Most 75Ds are real 75kwh batteries. A few have an 85 battery that is limited to 75kwh (it's only like 2 or 3 kwh though, the only actual 85s Tesla made are labeled "90"

You could have checked the battery sticker in the wheel well.

I sold my 2014 P85DL seven weeks ago with a 30-mile loss of range at 100%. Now I am worried about my new P100DL Raven that has 1,800 miles in six weeks. When I took ownership I charged to 100% and was happy to get the 345 miles advertised range. Today I attempted to charge to 100% at a supercharger as I was going to the drag strip. At about 95% the charge rate was severely being reduced as it showed 10 minutes left over 40 minutes eventually down to 2 kw and finally giving up at 98% (charging compete) with only 332 mile range. On the positive side, I set a new record at dragtimes (submitted tonight) and any stock Tesla on You Tube. My time was 10.514 @ 123.46 at 91% charge.
Spending $4,000 for new lighter wheels (33# less) helped.

Also, while in Norway I rented a Tesla Model S 75D.
I used the Superchargers there (very different connector - also, different again for M3s)
I charged to 100% 367 km (228 miles). It was still charging at 8 kW at 100% (unaffected by charge-gate!).View attachment 446317
View attachment 446322
For others that may be venturing to Europe, the Picture on the right is the standard Type 2 AC plug used on virtually every EV in Europe. [This also works (for AC) on Model 3]. Uniquely Tesla also use this Type 2 plug for DC charging, but this is only possible for DC charging when using Superchargers. So one plug, for both systems. Owners wanting a non Tesla DC solution have had to buy a CHAdeMO Adapter, from Tesla. And it’s expensive at about £450. European Model 3 already has a CCS Socket as standard.
The picture on left is CCS plug (Combined Charging System). Combined as in it takes AC OR DC. An elegant solution. The top half is a standard Type 2 AC Socket, but it can also be used for DC charging using special DC Plugs (left photo) which also uses the bottom 2 plugs. In Europe both CCS and CHAdeMO chargepoints are widely available. CCS Chargepoints (like CHAdeMO) are often 50kW. However some networks are introducing higher powered CCS chargepoints, up to and beyond 100kW. These are being introduced now across Europe, providing a viable alternative to Supercharging. Model S and Model X are able to be converted, by Tesla Mobile technicians, to take CCS plugs.