Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the root of that allegation and speculation is @wk057 ’s message that he would have to defend himself potentially should Tesla decide to pursue the issue and that he has been advised to stay out. The details are unknown of course as is the interpretation’s accuracy but defending does not sound like an action taken at an end of a professional (or any) relationship unless there is a threat of a lawsuit.
I’m absolutely sure we are allowed to have different interpretations of what he meant.
What do you @Ferrycraigs think @wk057 was thinking of ”defending” himself against if not a threat of a lawsuit from Tesla?

Also where does @wk057 say Tesla did not threaten him with a legal action?

Genuinely curious.
Regrettably, I've been advised to stay out of this issue.

Suffice it to say, I'm less than convinced they're going to do the right thing here... but, unfortunately I just don't have the resources to waste defending myself should Tesla actually decide to try something stupid against me on this.

Best of luck with the class action case.

I've done some speculating, but rather than something nepharious going on, it seems just as likely a precautionary measure. An analogy might be discovering you have a roof leak but you are unable to find the specific leak point so you tarp that roof panel temporarily to prevent damage while you investigate the specific location. Once you find the small hole, you patch it and then take the tarp off. We don't know: Tesla may remove (or reduce) the capping after, by their words, finding the "root cause". While I like putting facts together to figure out what they are doing, I personally draw the line at speculating at their end game or their intentions.

Mike
This is a nice idea and outcome, but it's probably also equally likely that Tesla will say, "hey the problem is fixed and it'll cost millions to do the extra work to find the root cause, and even more if we replace batteries. We're getting almost no bad press from the few affected people so hey, let's leave it at this, keep our money in our pockets, put our heads down and move on."

That's why constant pressure needs to be applied and this lawsuit definitely has to move forward. Until the last range is restored either via software or new batteries, no one should let up and hope Tesla fixed the problem out of the goodness of their hearts.

Honest question: how did you even communicate with them? At this point Tesla works very hard to keep you from communicating with humans at service centers (or any other humans at Tesla). Did you show up in person over and over until they talked to you?
The entire process started with texts to the service center after i set an appt and they remotely tested my battery and said it was normal. I told them i was totally pissed and bought a 85D not a 75D and had loss or range and usability. At the end of it i requested they move it up the change of command and requested a new battery. This is at the same time that i filed a complaint with my state attorney general. During that process the service manager reached out to me via email and i stated my concerns loss or range, slower charging, depreciation, and that i just bought my car. He i think felt for me in my situation and escalated it to corporate and requested a fix. Fast forward through June and July was getting updates via email they were waiting on corporate approval for a remedy. Then come this past week they finally approved it. Normally when you set a service appt they will reach out via text to confirm details ect that's how that initial conversation started. I think working through the local channels really helped we have always had an outstanding service center here in MN filled with great people. All along this process i have been extremely vocal about this issue online via linkedin posting comments ect as well as trying to get someones attention. One more thing to add is i ALWAYS put comments on the surveys when they sent them after my service appts complaining about the battery condition and asking for help. Hope that helps,

As I said when I started posting here, I don't currently own a Tesla but I have a vested interest in this thread which is why I continue to follow what is happening and try to glean as much information as I can. I currently own a Bolt; love the car and it fits my needs for now but my plan is to pass that car down to my son and get a Model 3 in the next year to 18 months. Once the kids have left the nest and I only have to worry about my own insurance, I'd like a sportier car and had decided on the Model 3. Until this thread. Ultimately, how Tesla handles this situation will determine my next purchase. I've always been a Tesla fan but if they don't end up doing the right thing here, I absolutely will not be buying a Tesla of any kind. There will be more options by the time I'm ready. As unlikely as it may be and even with the improvements they've made with respect to the Model 3, I won't want to deal with a company that can just summarily decide to hobble my car and there's nothing I can do about it.

So yeah, I think this issue needs more light of day. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Mike

The entire process started with texts to the service center after i set an appt and they remotely tested my battery and said it was normal. I told them i was totally pissed and bought a 85D not a 75D and had loss or range and usability. At the end of it i requested they move it up the change of command and requested a new battery. This is at the same time that i filed a complaint with my state attorney general. During that process the service manager reached out to me via email and i stated my concerns loss or range, slower charging, depreciation, and that i just bought my car. He i think felt for me in my situation and escalated it to corporate and requested a fix. Fast forward through June and July was getting updates via email they were waiting on corporate approval for a remedy. Then come this past week they finally approved it. Normally when you set a service appt they will reach out via text to confirm details ect that's how that initial conversation started. I think working through the local channels really helped we have always had an outstanding service center here in MN filled with great people. All along this process i have been extremely vocal about this issue online via linkedin posting comments ect as well as trying to get someones attention. One more thing to add is i ALWAYS put comments on the surveys when they sent them after my service appts complaining about the battery condition and asking for help. Hope that helps,

Miron's case is an exception rather than a rule, for at least two reasons: 1) He buys a 85D this year in may only to have his battery capped a month later, and 2) It appears his SC manager was understanding and was willing to cooperate in order to get his case escalated and to advocate for a battery replacement. That's a great outcome and a wonderful news for Miron as it's a plus for Tesla since they did the right thing. We just need Tesla to also make it right for the rest of us, who have been in the dark since May. The impacted owners have been very accommodating with the possible acceptable remedies (options) for Tesla, as outlined under multiple posts in this thread, to resolve this fiasco.

The winter is around the corner and in subzero temperatures, I lose up to 30% range where I live. A 30% loss on an already capped battery is tremendous.

What do you @Ferrycraigs think @wk057 was thinking of ”defending” himself against if not a threat of a lawsuit from Tesla?

Also where does @wk057 say Tesla did not threaten him with a legal action?

Genuinely curious.
OK, I did say it was fine that we had differing interpretations. It could, I think, have gently gone to sleep at that point. I really am unsure it merits more airtime. You do realise there are 247 pages and not quite 5000 posts.

Different people do read things differently. Because someone says they are thinking of defending themselves, does not, IMO, lead inexorably to legal action. I find that conclusion to be a very large jump. I will concede that it was one that others took at the time, and one that was corrected by the OP. It is perfectly possible to defend yourself or your position on here, in a discussion, in business, in trying to maintain a professional relationship with another company. The list is a long one. I agree right at one end of spectrum comes defending oneself in court.

But even if those possibilities were not enough for me, I would be persuaded, as I’m sure I said, when the person themself says ‘my decision to back off is not dictated by Tesla'

QUOTE="wk057, post: 3911628, member: 21811"]--
Apologies for being purposely vague, but let me just clarify that my decision to back off on this is not dictated by Tesla or anyone at Tesla... as much as they seem to wish that were the case. I can legally continue doing what I do, saying what I say, etc... but, unfortunately, the risk in continuing to do so on this matter is just a bit too high for me to deal with at the moment.

So while I can technically keep poking the bear on this by posting more information, revelations, and such... the bear has quite a few more teeth than I do (read: money and lawyers) if it decides to make my life miserable... and I have good reason to believe this particular bear will tolerate no further poking from me on this.[/QUOTE]

As I said I read this to mean that he has a professional relationship with Tesla, which he wishes to maintain. I read his continuing involvement on the issue on here might put that relationship in jeopardy. I didn’t read anywhere, other than Tesla have lawyers but that’s hardly breaking news, that legal action was threatened. And I have absolutely no idea if the OP is subject to any NDA which of course might be a factor.

But all of this is just my reading of his words. I’m sure others will see other things in between the lines.

But I would rather just concentrate on the Thread topic, not this, so please don’t hold the front page for any further clarification. If we don’t agree, I don’t mind. I will still be able to sleep.

As I said when I started posting here, I don't currently own a Tesla but I have a vested interest in this thread which is why I continue to follow what is happening and try to glean as much information as I can. I currently own a Bolt; love the car and it fits my needs for now but my plan is to pass that car down to my son and get a Model 3 in the next year to 18 months. Once the kids have left the nest and I only have to worry about my own insurance, I'd like a sportier car and had decided on the Model 3. Until this thread. Ultimately, how Tesla handles this situation will determine my next purchase. I've always been a Tesla fan but if they don't end up doing the right thing here, I absolutely will not be buying a Tesla of any kind. There will be more options by the time I'm ready. As unlikely as it may be and even with the improvements they've made with respect to the Model 3, I won't want to deal with a company that can just summarily decide to hobble my car and there's nothing I can do about it.

So yeah, I think this issue needs more light of day. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Mike

I only hope Tesla reads your post. Assuming, if they do they might care a bit more!

That does help. So mainly text and email. Good to know that works. They also text me after appointment scheduling but are very selective about what and when they want to respond to. Eventually when I show up in person they have to listen to me, though.

Mike
Here here. This.

Reactions: Droschke
I believe he implied he was advised to make his decision, to me that sounded like his own attorney told him to avoid getting mixed up.

He recently implied that the reason for the battery down grades are safety related. The problem with that is is they are safety related, Tesla's refusal to notify the government or issue any sort of safety notices - and their repeated claims to us that is not safety related - escalates this from what might have been a software error or a mistake to something much worse. If Tesla is maliciously attempting to hide safety problems from all of us and is refusing to notify people who may have missed the update (that is still unlabeled, optional, and not yet installed on a significant number of cars) they are guilty of crimes much worse than theft. And if Wk057 has knowledge of those crimes, he could wind up implicated in a federal criminal investigation against Tesla. Especially if he had fallen through with his original promise to tell us everything if Tesla continued the cover up (which they have continued to do). They still haven't told us or the NHTSA whether or not this is a fire hazard that could kill people. If a single fatality happens now, that coverup makes it murder and not just a "whoops we didn't know!" problem. Wk057 doesn't want to risk murder charges - Tesla still does. That's probably why Wk057 is carefully avoiding admitting he knows the problem is lethal, but still saying v9 is terrible, 2019.16 will permanently cripple your car, your resale will drop to nothing, but apply the update anyway. He doesn't want to spend his life in prison, and he may not have been threatened by Tesla. He sees the writing on the wall more clearly than we do (and I wish he's stop hiding that from us if anything I say here is true) and he knows enough to be scared!

Mike
I haven’t followed this thread closely but once in a while have read small chunks of it and today noticed this post near the end of the thread. So if I understand correctly, you are a happy owner of a Chevy Bolt and may someday soon buy a Model 3 if you find out Tesla does the right thing by posters in this thread? Otherwise you will only deal with a car manufacturer that has much higher standards of ethics than Tesla? Since you are a happy Bolt owner, I assume you believe Chevrolet Inc. is a car manufacturer with much higher standards of ethics than Tesla? I didn’t know that but thank you very much for informing me.

I am not currently upset about the range of my two Teslas, but am very PO’d that the main screen in my S has the dreaded yellow stripe around the perimeter and Tesla no longer routinely replaces the screens under warranty because they have decided recently that it is a “mere cosmetic defect.” Of course what they probably have really decided is the bottom line cannot afford mass replacements, especially since the replacements can have the same problem — I am on my second screen with the defect.

I wasn’t sure how to deal with my anger but thanks to you I now have the solution. I will never again buy a Tesla. I will instead buy my next car from Chevrolet. Of course if it wasn’t for that car company, no one would have ever heard of Ralph Nader, but that was many years ago. I am sure they are more ethical these days.

I guess you have figured out your post struck a nerve. I sympathize with a customer of any company that isn’t treated fairly, but for a Bolt owner to come here tossing gasoline on a fire is pretty low.

Last edited:
I haven’t followed this thread closely but once in a while have read small chunks of it and today noticed this post near the end of the thread. So if I understand correctly, you are a happy owner of a Chevy Bolt and may someday soon buy a Model 3 if you find out Tesla does the right thing by posters in this thread? Otherwise you will only deal with a car manufacturer that has much higher standards of ethics than Tesla? Since you are a happy Bolt owner, I assume you believe Chevrolet Inc. is a car manufacturer with much higher standards of ethics than Tesla? I didn’t know that but thank you very much for informing me.

I am not currently upset about the range of my two Teslas, but am very PO’d that the main screen in my S has the dreaded yellow stripe around the perimeter and Tesla no longer routinely replaces the screens under warranty because they have decided recently that it is a “mere cosmetic defect.” Of course what they probably have really decided is the bottom line cannot afford mass replacements, especially since the replacements can have the same problem — I am on my second screen with the defect.

I wasn’t sure how to deal with my anger but thanks to you I now have the solution. I will never again buy a Tesla. I will instead buy my next car from Chevrolet. Of course if it wasn’t for that car company, no one would have ever heard of Ralph Nader, but that was many years ago. I am sure they are more ethical these days.

I guess you have figured out your post struck a nerve. I sympathize with a customer of any company that isn’t treated fairly, but for a Bolt owner to come here tossing gasoline on a fire is pretty low.

I've found @MikeyC's posts very helpful. He also just said why he is here. So, please clarify these two statements, as they do not sound right:

for a Bolt owner to come here tossing gasoline on a fire is pretty low.

There are lots of Chevy discussion boards. Do you really need to be here?

Reactions: VT_EE
I haven’t followed this thread closely but once in a while have read small chunks of it and today noticed this post near the end of the thread. So if I understand correctly, you are a happy owner of a Chevy Bolt and may someday soon buy a Model 3 if you find out Tesla does the right thing by posters in this thread? Otherwise you will only deal with a car manufacturer that has much higher standards of ethics than Tesla? Since you are a happy Bolt owner, I assume you believe Chevrolet Inc. is a car manufacturer with much higher standards of ethics than Tesla? I didn’t know that but thank you very much for informing me. <snip>

I can't make any statements about the "ethics" of any company, not even Tesla as I consider this issue unresolved currently. I even stated in a prior post that maybe the capping is a temporary precautionary measure since Tesla said they are still looking for the root cause. Seems reasonable, IF they make good (somehow) to those affected by the capping once they do find the root cause.

I also stated that I chose the Bolt because it fits my family needs better than a Model 3 at the moment and I wanted to go EV as soon as possible. To put it bluntly, I'd probably already have a Model 3 if I only had myself to worry about and I wanted the best car for ME since I got the Bolt prior to finding this thread. I have no idea whether Chevy is more "ethical" than Tesla but I've owned several Chevy vehicles and have been happy with them. I've never seen any other car company do anything like what Tesla has done with rangegate and chargegate, which is why I took notice since I've had my eye on the Model 3 for a while as my next car.

Mike

I am not currently upset about the range of my two Teslas, but am very PO’d that the main screen in my S has the dreaded yellow stripe around the perimeter and Tesla no longer routinely replaces the screens under warranty because they have decided recently that it is a “mere cosmetic defect.” Of course what they probably have really decided is the bottom line cannot afford mass replacements, especially since the replacements can have the same problem — I am on my second screen...

They have a fix for this now. I have an appointment this monday 9/16 to get it fix. They are using some UV machine so let's hope it works for the long haul and just a quick fix. Call your service center.

Reactions: Guy V

Mike

The results of this thread/issue wouldn't stop me from buying a Tesla. But it might push me to buying used instead of new.

I can live with the shorter range / slower supercharging speeds so long as the price is lower as well.

Unlike other posters I'd lose no sleep parking it in my garage at night.