Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are calling it a CAC test. But, is this CAC really a test where they run a routine on the car for several minutes/hours, or like @qwk said it's just reading the data already stored on the car and displayed on the diagnostic screen they have access to?
The roadster CAC test was administered remotely and the data displayed on the screen in the car.
Apparently, the Model S CAC can also be administered remotely. But, the results are verbally reported with the data available to SC personnel.
This is NOT how it appeared in June when the phone support people said I should take the car in for battery testing. Maybe the "test" they performed at the SC is different than the CAC. The invoice calls it "HV battery test".
However, even that test did not actually charge or discharge my battery as far as I could tell. It took less than an hour to get the results.

Last edited:
CAC is always calculated by your car. You see it in my photo I posted and all I did there was open the door, enable dev mode, and take the picture. It took 3 minutes at most and I didn't know CAC would be shown so I didn't calculate it. @jaitch Dev mode either needs your service center or root. If someone with a limited battery can ask someone for temporary root, they can take a picture of that screen and show what I think will be 80% value for the soft cap and UI cap. A factory limited 40 or 60 owner will probably show the low % on cap & UI.
How does one get root access?
If this is a software modification then it DOES likely void the battery warranty.
Not that the warranty is worth the paper it is NOT printed on.

• Funny
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
If this is a software modification then it DOES likely void the battery warranty.
Getting root access will not void warranty. Warranty will only be void if you modify values. Such as, changing regen max from 60kW to 90kW. Tesla can use that as a case to void then your battery warranty. Or removing the supercharging rate limitation, for people such as myself whose packs have been limited to 94kW supercharge rate. If I were to modify the value to increase that back to where it was at time of purchase, that again can be used as a case to void the warranty. Just having root access doesn't void it.

Getting root access will not void warranty. Warranty will only be void if you modify values. Such as, changing regen max from 60kW to 90kW. Tesla can use that as a case to void then your battery warranty. Or removing the supercharging rate limitation, for people such as myself whose packs have been limited to 94kW supercharge rate. If I were to modify the value to increase that back to where it was at time of purchase, that again can be used as a case to void the warranty. Just having root access doesn't void it.
Unless you change settings to one’s you never paid for, Tesla cannot void anything. You are just taking back what they stole. Unless they pay off a judge, they won’t win that battle.

• Informative
Reactions: TJtv and Droschke
Root doesn't void warranty, it's the same as jailbreaking your phone and fully reversible - you can do it temporarily or just ask the service center to enable dev mode on your car and check your car's settings in their presence. No modification is ever made to battery systems, at most they could claim you broke the diag port plugging in a laptop to your car.

I can't root your car, someone else gave me root to help me with another project I'm working on but I thought it might help to show people with the limits there are ways to make your car show you proof of the exact % of battery Tesla has limited and if they are limiting the UI slider the same % to hide the limit.

I looked at your YT channel. Did not see you covering this topic though. Planning to?

I looked at your YT channel. Did not see you covering this topic though. Planning to?
Which topic? The 94kW charge rate limit? Or Rooting the car? If it's about rooting the car, I'm actively seeking someone who can do it for me at a reasonable price. The couple so far that said they'd do it, are beyond my budget. I'm living off a YouTube channel salary haha.

Tesla will also cover any accidental problem you cause if you sign up as a tesla security researcher by emailing your VIN and research focus (infotainment, AP, etc) to [email protected] - see Product Security | Tesla - they have an official program for owners rooting their Teslas.
That is VERY useful information.
But, in my case, they probably would not give it to me.

Which topic? The 94kW charge rate limit? Or Rooting the car? If it's about rooting the car, I'm actively seeking someone who can do it for me at a reasonable price. The couple so far that said they'd do it, are beyond my budget. I'm living off a YouTube channel salary haha.

Have you tried applying to the Tesla security research program just mentioned?

A Ranger must be able to get into developer mode to see the relevant bits. This might be the easiest option for anyone with a capped battery. I can't see an SC just agreeing to show the screen. But a nice Ranger after a nice chat etc might be willing.

My car charges 7 miles past what Tesla advertised when new. It’s over 4 yrs old. 2014 P85D that should only charge to 242 gets 249

I don't believe you. You probably have "Ideal" displayed, not "Rated". Show us a video of the rated/ideal setting, your mileage at some SOC(doesn't really matter what as long as it isn't almost empty), and that your P85D is not now a P90D.

You fail to realize this warranty pertains to all Tesla’s just as stated in the battery portion. So yes even your Tesla is applied to this warranty now
View attachment 455158

So outrageous and untrue that this guy is even making the guys that are on the other side of the fence look right. Remind you of any public figure in particular ;)

Can’t have the best of both worlds since your old warranty required a yearly service and this one no longer does. So do you think you still have to get it serviced yearly?
This was effective Feb 1st
View attachment 455160

My warranty requires no service at all the maintain the warranty. This is what Tesla gave up by not publicly providing repair documentation. Tesla has stated multiple times that if you never bring the car in for service, your warranty is fully intact.

First, that's not 7 miles (253 when new) and I'll bet that's not rated unless you've hardly driven the car (like less than 20K miles) and it's sat in Alaska most of it's life....or you're showing is a very old picture.

How many miles do you have?
Good luck getting a response out of an already banned member...