Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would HOPE that since our browsers have not worked right since V9, that at least they could fix that. Dunno, since all updates seem to have stopped for me :p
I must be REAL low on the list now. How DARE I escalate my complaint of 16% instant loss!
My browser has stopped completely. It has lost the Address Bar which includes favourites and forwards and backwards. Seems I’m stuck with the last site I visited, forever.

Same lake, different boat. Check out Bjorn's YouTube video on the Model 3 issue.
My comment on this video about Capping has now started a thread (thanks Dan K). Potentially more publicity than writing to car magazines.

I do feel a bit guilty about hijacking Bjorn's video, but it is relevant to the Title and I think I’ll get over it.

Reserve means that the difference is still charge left in the battery vs capping which prevents the battery from being charged all the way.

I thought Audi was was capping the charge to prevent the battery from being charged to 100% but since they're doing it from the start, this is not loss of range to the customer since they never had it to begin with.
Vmax and Vmin just determine the section of the battery made available for charging. I’m not sure if it make a great deal of difference whether Vmin moves up, or Vmax moves down. The net effect is the Useable Capacity is reduced. And the owner is denied an amount they have paid more to use. Ironically if the had raised Vmin rather than reduced Vmax, we might not have known how they did it.

Several hundred posts ago, on here, there was a post from Germany where a customer had inadvertently been given what was believed to have been a script from Tesla to Service Centres giving a 'Line to Take' with customers that were complaining about battery capping. There was some debate about its authenticity due to the translation, but it’s still an interesting read and worth reminding people about.

German Statement

The cells have accumulated sufficient wear, mainly through DC charging, but also through regular cycles, therefore charging cells to the same level as when new would result in accelerated cell deterioration (both in terms of capacity retention and performance).

The system has adapted to the state of the cell and gradually adjusted the maximum state of charge of the cells over several weeks to maximise the long-term retention of capacity and performance.

The system can reduce the maximum state of charge of the cells by about 10% compared to the original state of charge.

From there, the cell is operated in an optimal range to maximize long-term retention and performance and to stabilize the range at full charge.

Reassure the customer that adjusting the maximum charge limit is, in most cases, a one-time event and means that the range [does not] continue to slip.

The system implements this proactive precaution to ensure that the cells of the HV battery have years and thousands of kilometers left to counteract accelerated cell wear, which would lead to a loss of capacity and a loss of performance.

This version would tie in nicely with wh057'S statement that there was a problem, but that those cars that were capped had the advantage that the problem had been addressed and whilst not solved, was at least overcome. I find it all very credible.

Last edited:
Is there anybody affected in the Chicago area?
I have a call in the morning with the Chicago Sun Times.
I am in the Chicagoland area. If you are referring to rust on a M3 than no my paint on my S has held up very well through our winters. If you are referring to charge gate than yes my supercharging is MUCH slower. This is an example of Tesla's best asset, us the early model S owners, becoming those who now say they wouldn't buy another Tesla due to the companies dishonest tactics. This wouldn't be so if they were HONEST and communicated the issue. Instead it seems they have abandoned us for M3 sales.

I will give you just a few examples. I want my large icons stationary at the top, not small icons on the bottom after a button push, I dont want nav running all the time and taking up screen space, I want to drag any icon anywhere I want it on the screen, without taking my eyes off the road like I did on V8, . You can read much more about the issues on the many posts about loss of functionality from V8 to V9.

Ok thanks. that was the information I was looking for. Thanks for the response. I was genuinely wondering why people would really prefer the old v8. Sorry for the distraction.

• Funny
Reactions: raphy3
IIRC, with the early Model S, there was a big drop in rated range around the 1-year mark, then it settled in. Not sure if that stayed true for later years or if that's relevant to the Model 3, but maybe...?
Not the case with my car (built Feb 2013, B battery). About a 4% drop over the first 5.5 years, and then another 4% this year. Still less than the original expectation: 5% the first year, 1% each year thereafter.

IIRC, with the early Model S, there was a big drop in rated range around the 1-year mark, then it settled in. Not sure if that stayed true for later years or if that's relevant to the Model 3, but maybe...?
Not with mine (March 16 delivery). It lost a little within a couple of months then very little (4-5%) over the next 3 years. Then 15% after THE download.

Or are you talking about earlier than that, perhaps pre AP? Can’t remember folk talking about it in the early days; it was all about the number of replacement motors.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just to set expectations for how not fast the NHTSA moves: Hyundai, Kia earmark $760 million to settle U.S. lawsuits over engine fires

The investigation comes after Kim Gwang-ho, then an engineer at Hyundai, flew to Washington in 2016 to tell the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) the companies should have recalled more vehicles over the problem, citing an internal report.

Hyundai Motor at that time denied allegations.

The NHTSA this year opened a fresh investigation into 3 million Hyundai and Kia vehicles after reviewing reports of more than 3,000 fires that injured more than 100 people.

So 2 years later and they are still investigating after thousands of fires and more than 100 injuries.