Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6
DO NOT INSTALL 2019.40.2.3 at this time. I think it contains something evil.
I agree. AP1 only means they only want to install it on older cars (that are already targeted for infection) and they are pushing it over 3G (meaning they have to pay for it). They wouldn't do this if it wasn't an especially nasty malware. People that already ran it show notes that make it sound like they are going after performance now too - that threat alone made me start looking up how to unplug my 3G antenna. Has anyone done that? Can we just remove the data antenna to block malware permanently?

This is my dash yesterday with pretty severe limitations worse than I have ever seen. You can see it is a "cold" 50 degrees in Texas and even after driving > 10 miles @ 75 mph it has my regen and max limited.

Just awful.

I charged to max today and reads 245 (new 265- a month ago 255). This may be the first time my round trip to meet my dad for dinner for his Birthday from College Station to Katy may have to be done in my wife's giant pickup instead of the Model S. (I have to drive 25ish miles @ lunch as well for a meeting)

Sad day for me a former Tesla superfan.

When pre-heating the car up before departure by the Tesla app, the app used to show a battery icon in red indicating the battery is also being heated. I do not see that icon at all even after pre-heating the cabin using the app for 45 minutes!!!

I'm thus far uncapped, and was hoping to try to answer that question.
I planned to charge up to 100% this morning and would report back if the voltage was lower or not.
However, I only allowed 4 hours to charge from 65% to 100% (dual charger / 80 amp) and that wasn't enough time. I still have 30 minutes before I need to unplug, but I've only hit 93%. I'll plug in again this afternoon and try again once I'm back home.

Screenshot_20191219-111228.png

When pre-heating the car up before departure by the Tesla app, the app used to show a battery icon in red indicating the battery is also being heated. I do not see that icon at all even after pre-heating the cabin using the app for 45 minutes!!!
Battery preheat seems to be a bit more decoupled from cabin preheat as of late. I preheated this morning, and the battery heater icon stayed off. I just checked the app while charging @ 6kW, and the battery heater was on (see below). A few minutes later, it was off. Outside temps around 15F. With a 14-30, it's easy to confirm if either heater is running by looking at charge time remaining.

rps20191219_123359_743.jpg

Is 2019.40.2.3 aimed only at non-capped cars? Anyone knows?
I got 2019.40.2.3 last night with battery at 70% (non-capped). I'm currently charging to 90% to check cell voltages.

Battery preheat seems to be a bit more decoupled from cabin preheat as of late. I preheated this morning, and the battery heater icon stayed off. I just checked the app while charging @ 6kW, and the battery heater was on (see below). A few minutes later, it was off. Outside temps around 15F. With a 14-30, it's easy to confirm if either heater is running by looking at charge time remaining.

View attachment 490145

I got 2019.40.2.3 last night with battery at 70% (non-capped). I'm currently charging to 90% to check cell voltages.

Thanks for the picture. That's the icon I'm not seeing anymore if I pre-heat the cabin only (I used to see it last winter). It was 12F this morning, BTW.

Are you saying they have changed the behavior recently so you only see the battery heating icon when the car is being charge but not when the cabin is being pre-heated?

This is my dash yesterday with pretty severe limitations worse than I have ever seen. You can see it is a "cold" 50 degrees in Texas and even after driving > 10 miles @ 75 mph it has my regen and max limited.

Just awful.

I charged to max today and reads 245 (new 265- a month ago 255). This may be the first time my round trip to meet my dad for dinner for his Birthday from College Station to Katy may have to be done in my wife's giant pickup instead of the Model S. (I have to drive 25ish miles @ lunch as well for a meeting)

Sad day for me a former Tesla superfan.
This is terrible. I'm definitely going to hold off on installing any new updates from now on. It seems like tesla is extremely hesitant on any large amount of energy going into the battery (just over 30kw regen, supercharging capped at less than 50kw). That's less than 1C for a 77kwh pack.

Reactions: Chaserr
I finished morning clinic early so I went home and plugged in. It stalled out at 98% then dropped to 97% but no change in max range looks like. I took my Boxster to the meeting so I will have range tonight but this situation is very frustrating and the lack of information from Tesla is infuriating.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191219-133706_Dashboard for Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20191219-133706_Dashboard for Tesla.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 63
I believe you. You would have thought they would not have messed up this feature since it helps to “protect” and “prolong” the battery life.

"Although fire incidents involving Tesla vehicles are already extremely rare and our cars are 10 times less likely to experience a fire than a gas car, we believe the right number of incidents to aspire to is zero.

As we continue our investigation of the root cause, out of an abundance of caution, we are revising charge and thermal management settings
"

It seems even mild preheating might contribute to the root cause of battery fires in our cars.

It seems even mild preheating might contribute to the root cause of battery fires in our cars.

If the preheating is done when the car is unplugged the HV battery is used as the energy source.

But, in my case, the car is in the garage and always stays plugged. I know for fact the preheating is done by my HPWC (not by HV battery as long as plugged in) and I still don't see the battery heating icon to show up. This is something definitely new.

The next time I preheat the car, I'll also initiate charging at the same time to see if the icon shows up at all (as @tga is reporting). Even if it does, it does not explain why the icon is not lit when the car not being charged.