Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None I've ever seen.

Even if you see it, how is an owner supposed to know what this means: "High Voltage Battery Diagnostic Improvements"?
I turned off wifi -- so I didn't get this "update". Tesla pushed it. Keeps bugging me with 1 press to avoid updating. But now today -- I have to click through two different prompts each time I drive to NOT update.....

I think this means -- we want to take away more features -- so we can ensure your battery lasts even longer/improves our diagnostics (as we have to do less).

It literally gets worse and worse. The recent software significantly reduced regen power when the battery is cold. I did some data logging before and after the recent software update (2019.40.x). Very noticeable in normal driving and the data shows it clearly as well.
For the last 4 years my car has been crippled, reduced and downgraded with every software update. This is unprecedented in the car industry. How on earth Tesla thinks they can just mess with our cars this way.
Regen limit vs cell temperature (old vs new)(1).png

I guess I am fine with that, it kinda makes sense. It would be great, however, if they bought back the dashed lines to show limited re-gen. They have disappeared from both my non-AP S and AP1 X and it kinda sucks to have to guess how your car is going to slow down (or not) when you begin driving.
Er, what? My AP1 S on 2019.40.2.3 still has the dashed yellow lines on the power meter. Yesterday I went for a drive after being parked, unplugged, for 2 days in sub-freezing weather (lows 0F, highs 22F). The dashed yellow lines clearly showed a 75kW power limit with 0 regen.

1. A replacement battery pack MAY solve it. Remember most cars, my estimate 90%+, don’t suffer from battery capping. It’s just us, the 'small percentage'. If the issue is a dodgy battery, and I think it is, I don’t need new chemistry in my replacement pack, a replacement pack with the old chemistry that works for the 90%+ would do me just fine.
I disagree, it is the old battery chemistry that is the issue, Tesla has painted themselves in a corner. There are no new 40,60,70,75,85 and 90 packs. Only refurbished packs with the old battery chemistry. I would think Tesla would be forced to make new battery packs for those that are effected.

Reactions: David99
1. A replacement battery pack MAY solve it. Remember most cars, my estimate 90%+, don’t suffer from battery capping. It’s just us, the 'small percentage'. If the issue is a dodgy battery, and I think it is, I don’t need new chemistry in my replacement pack, a replacement pack with the old chemistry that works for the 90%+ would do me just fine.
They wouldn't be widening the net with this latest update if the number wasn't going to keep increasing

Not to disagree, but I've not been convinced of the validity of this 'small percentage' claim. We do not know what the % is and what this percentage is of?

Remember Wk057 claimed it was EVERY Model S/X up to (I think) the 75kwh. When we were backing him into a corner to get his to share info he let it slip that it was a safety problem, and when we kept pressing on his "less than 100 left to force-update-without-permission" he again let it slip that it was every battery ever made for certain capacities at least.

It literally gets worse and worse. The recent software significantly reduced regen power when the battery is cold. I did some data logging before and after the recent software update (2019.40.x). Very noticeable in normal driving and the data shows it clearly as well.
For the last 4 years my car has been crippled, reduced and downgraded with every software update. This is unprecedented in the car industry. How on earth Tesla thinks they can just mess with our cars this way.
View attachment 492205
How is it legal to change a feature so drastically and not even mention it or forwarn those who are about to install???....

View attachment 492205
I have written earlier that the curve has been raised by 3C.
And you can't use the Max that the BMS is reporting. Using SMT i can see that regen. gives a max of 60-65kW

Owners who have updated to 40.2.3 are now reporting that the battery cooling fan runs continuously (even when off), if battery is >= 90% SoC !
Do you mean literally continuously as 24/7?

Is there any point then to charge to high Soc, if car then depletes it by cooling? What is the limit for this continuous cooling?

Last edited:
Not to disagree, but I've not been convinced of the validity of this 'small percentage' claim. We do not know what the % is and what this percentage is of?
I agree we don’t know, I use it merely as a catch all term. I use it to describe those of us that have had their batteries capped. In the UK very broad brush research indicated out of around 5000 owners on one owners' forum, around 30-40 people indicated they were affected by battery capping. So it would suggest batterygate % to be +/- 1% of the whole fleet. The % figure for the pre facelift fleet is obviously going to be larger, but I wouldn’t like to put a figure on it. Does anyone know the ratio of pre facelift to post facelift S/X fleet?

I don’t think it’s inaccurate to describe us as a small %. I’m sure it is a small %. That does not make it a small number. It has been suggested the worldwide numbers are in the low thousands. I think that’s entirely possible.

I disagree, it is the old battery chemistry that is the issue, Tesla has painted themselves in a corner. There are no new 40,60,70,75,85 and 90 packs. Only refurbished packs with the old battery chemistry. I would think Tesla would be forced to make new battery packs for those that are effected.
The point I was trying to make is I don’t class the old tech as completely flawed tech. Not all old tech batteries have been capped. Only a very few. So the majority of old tech batteries continue to operate as designed (for the moment). But I do agree, of the batteries affected, they all contain the old tech cells. I also agree getting a refurbished old tech pack is no guarantee. But if the % of old tech cars affected is a small %, 10%? 15%? (I don’t know the figure so I am just wet finger in the air speculating here) but if they are in that ball park range, then surely that suggests that a refurbished pack has a 85%-90% chance of being just fine.

Whether Tesla even has a supply of old tech batteries is a different issue. I don’t have the answer. I doubt for instance they have a supply of the pre Silicon cells, although the newer silicon cells also had their own problems and when I questioned a Ranger about them his impression was they were not as good as the old Gen 1 cells. Also if Tesla now only have 100 kWh batteries, that is not a solution for us, as they are not a straight swap item. So I agree they may have to build from new. Perhaps that is why they are wriggling so hard?

Remember Wk057 claimed it was EVERY Model S/X up to (I think) the 75kwh. When we were backing him into a corner to get his to share info he let it slip that it was a safety problem, and when we kept pressing on his "less than 100 left to force-update-without-permission" he again let it slip that it was every battery ever made for certain capacities at least.
Must have missed that one. That changes things. I shall have to locate it. It’s important.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke
How would you know? The whole capping is the result of fire incidents.
It is probably correct that Tesla went looking for Dendrites because of the fires. They didn’t find any (many) but did find Condition Z, which resulted in battery capping. So whilst it may be correct to say fires started the whole process, I find it risks being misunderstood to say Capping is a result of fires as the inference is capping has been done to avoid fires. That is not a view I have ever held.

Reactions: DJRas and MP3Mike