Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
finally got my cable/adapter/scanmytesla and hooked it up. I posted the results of my 201k mile 85kw pack here: 7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

but since I posted in this thread that I was always curious if I was capped or not I'll post the results here too:

2013 (feb build) P85, B Pack.
Version: 2019.16.2
(I've been hitting NO to updates for a while...)
201k miles.

Original battery

Charged to 100% (well, according to scanmytesla it stopped at 97.5%, I guess it can't go to 100%?)

Odometer: 201039 miles
Nominal full pack: 68.7 kWh
<-- based on original of 81.5 kWh, seems I am at ~16% battery degradation
Nominal remaining: 67.1 kWh
Usable full pack: 64.7 kWh
Usable remaining: 63.1 kWh
SOC: 97.5% <-- I had slider at 100% and it said Charging Complete...not sure why it did not go to 100%?
SOC Min: 97.6%
SOC UI: 97.6%
Rated range: 226 mi
Typical range: 262 mi
Full rated range: 232 mi
Full typical range: 269 mi
Cell min: 4.141 Vc <-- does not look like I am capped, but I'm on old firmware and refuse to update...
Cell avg: 4.144 Vc
Cell max: 4.146 Vc

Cell diff: 0.004 Vcd
Cell imbalance: 4.27 mV

so based on the cell voltages it looks like I'm not capped. And at about 16% actual battery degradation, doesn't look like I'm in the ballpark for any kind of warranty replacement.

I know my 100% (97.5%?) charge only shows 226, and in the real world I can't get anywhere close to the 278Wh/mi rate required to hit that rated range. My average over 201k miles is around ~375Wh/mi, which corresponds exactly to why I can only get about ~167 real world miles on a 100% -> 4% charge. I'll guess just keep hitting that DENY UPDATE button...

They told him a limit of 2500 kWh of charging before the SuC rate is capped? This is only roughly 8000 miles of driving. If this were a cap for all 100kWh cars, I would think we would be seeing a lot more rate capped 100s at this point. 50K miles total on the odometer with 25K miles of supercharging on a ~3-year old 100D or P100D would not be at all uncommon.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and Guy V
They told him a limit of 2500 kWh of charging before the SuC rate is capped? This is only roughly 8000 miles of driving. If this were a cap for all 100kWh cars, I would think we would be seeing a lot more rate capped 100s at this point. 50K miles total on the odometer with 25K miles of supercharging on a ~3-year old 100D or P100D would not be at all uncommon.

I thought they capped the charge rate (aka nerfed the curve) for everyone across the board, regardless of whatever mileage or dc charge total you have.

Reactions: Droschke
I thought they capped the charge rate (aka nerfed the curve) for everyone across the board, regardless of whatever mileage or dc charge total you have.
From what I understand, that seems to be the case (about 10% slower speeds above 50% SOC). However, he's reporting something more drastic - never even reaching the previously attainable 118kW, much less the new upper limit of 150kW.

• Informative
I was capped on my 90D after 2 months of ownership, right in the middle of my first road trip. It made the trip exponentially longer. Milwaukee, WI to Creator Lake, Oregon, 2500 miles each way by the route required to follow the superchargers.

Supercharging Rate is only controllable by BMS.
Thanks. I was pretty sure that was the case.

Very sorry if I've been exceptionally slow in spotting the blindingly obvious.

Does that mean by capping / charge limiting, Tesla are demonstrating that - since HSDC, Ludicrous launches, high regen levels are all made available by Tesla and in the case of HSDC and to a slightly lesser extent regen levels outside of user control - they have certainly allowed the technology to be pushed too far and had to back track?

* not saying "you are using this wrong" but rather that owners have use cases, charging patterns and operating scenarios that were not envisioned or tested by the SW engineers

And therein lies the problem. How can hundreds of thousands of use cases throughout the world be anticipated by a handful of software engineers and their cohorts? I have no doubt that these individuals are among the best in the theoretical world, but there is a wide gulf between theory and application.

Does that mean by capping / charge limiting, Tesla are demonstrating that - since HSDC, Ludicrous launches, high regen levels are all made available by Tesla and in the case of HSDC and to a slightly lesser extent regen levels outside of user control - they have certainly allowed the technology to be pushed too far and had to back track?
Absolutely on point. We don't know why and Tesla isn't talking, but their backtracking actions tell us they went too far.

Thanks. I was pretty sure that was the case.

Very sorry if I've been exceptionally slow in spotting the blindingly obvious.

That's obvious isn't it? The problem is that all these limitations are secretive and not disclosed in advance. The owners do not know about them till they find out, let's say, by being on TMC!

Reactions: Blu Zap and Chaserr
That's obvious isn't it? The problem is that all these limitations are secretive and not disclosed in advance. The owners do not know about them till they find out, let's say, by being on TMC!
Yes, but I keep feeling that I am seeing yet another perspective on the same problem. Yes, secretive, deceptive and what I was going to add to my post was that it is screaming louder and louder for disclosure from Tesla about all this.

In order to decide how I want to use my car, my asset, I have to have open, full information and a reasonable level of control available. I realise this goes against many concerns listed here, but it just struck me that if I decide that hsdc is a potential risk to my asset, I have no way of using Supercharging without also accepting Tesla's evidently misjudged view of potential down side risks.

Last edited: