Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cells in parallel act as a single cell and don't need balancing.

But surely they don't behave the same, as at some point some individual cells become so different from the others that they fail, blow their individual fuse and drop out of the brick.

So what is really being said is that to achieve balance, there must be a (long) period of low / reducing current at least current through individual bricks to allow energy absorbtion to reach equilibrium between bricks. The longer and more gentle the balancing phase, the more even the energy load across all cells will be.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I expect that would be very unusual with the closely matched cells Tesla uses.
Well, you'd hope so, but nothing is perfect and surely it is those minor differences between bricks / cells that necessitates balancing and to a large extent puts bigger stress on certain parts of the battery and can lead to premature failure of some type.

All the words I see from Tesla point towards long known truths like extreme loads / extreme temperature / high current charging / extended periods at highest SoC all speeding up deterioration and demand the highest quality cells to mitigate. And of course less abuse (ie pushing to limits) = longer service life.

Last edited:
Only Model 3 heats the battery on the way to Superchargers. My Model X Raven does not.
I have absolutely seen bettery being heated (evidenced by available regen increasing from 20kw to 50kw +) in the 15 minutes prior to arriving at Supercharger. (compared with identical trip, same day same conditions) without Supercharging where regen remained at 20kw or less.

Raven S LR

Model S/X do preheat the battery en route to superchargers. The Tesla app shows the battery heating icon.

My Raven X preheats all the time (if very low regen) if range mode is off and not at all if range mode is on. Routing to supercharger has no influence. I turn range mode off when I route to a supercharger. I normally keep range mode on.

Also Model 3 puts a message up that you can’t clear when the car goes into this supercharger heating mode. My Model X displays nothing.

My Raven X preheats all the time (if very low regen) if range mode is off and not at all if range mode is on. Routing to supercharger has no influence. I turn range mode off when I route to a supercharger. I normally keep range mode on.

Also Model 3 puts a message up that you can’t clear when the car goes into this supercharger heating mode. My Model X displays nothing.

I never use range mode in my Raven S. I've been keeping an eye on battery heat icon and not noticed battery heating all the time for sure. Latest software update gave me battery heating back with climate pre-heat. Need more low temps and predictable journeys to get more data.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
I never use range mode in my Raven S. I've been keeping an eye on battery heat icon and not noticed battery heating all the time for sure. Latest software update gave me battery heating back with climate pre-heat. Need more low temps and predictable journeys to get more data.
Does range mode behave differently now? Before it was just the speed in which it thermally managed the battery up to 106' F.

Does range mode behave differently now? Before it was just the speed in which it thermally managed the battery up to 106' F.

I can't say if its different in latest as the 'benefits' didn't seem likely to help me any so haven't used rm with latest software.

Anything that regularly draws energy through the battery adds to battery deterioration, even if very marginal. So unless I am certain and in control of battery pre-heating and agree that there will be a net energy benefit, then I prefer to not pre-heat especially while driving. Might as well just drive a bit harder 15 mins before super charger arrival from what I can tell. Range mode seems to potentially be 'less range and waste energy' mode unless you are sure that it is actually going to have a benefit in a specific situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJRas
I've never seen it. Which years, or all of them?
My car is Raven S LR. Never checked battery heater in app, but a couple of recent 100 mile trips gave me very predictable journey, one in which I did not charge and a second identical run where half way I did charge. Using regen indicators as guide to battery temp the first non-charging run (steady 65 mph on freeway) regen stayed fixed at below 25kw. Return journey, regen still below 25kw until about 12 miles from supercharger when regen limit started lifting to over 50kw. After supercharge, regen stayed high for remainder of journey.

My car is Raven S LR. Never checked battery heater in app, but a couple of recent 100 mile trips gave me very predictable journey, one in which I did not charge and a second identical run where half way I did charge. Using regen indicators as guide to battery temp the first non-charging run (steady 65 mph on freeway) regen stayed fixed at below 25kw. Return journey, regen still below 25kw until about 12 miles from supercharger when renen limit started lifting to over 50kw. After supercharge, regen stayed high for remainder of journey.

On S/X, you won't get the battery heating info on the car's UI, when navigating to a Superchager. However, the Tesla mobile app shows the battery heating icon under the climate control screen.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and DJRas
My car is Raven S LR. Never checked battery heater in app, but a couple of recent 100 mile trips gave me very predictable journey, one in which I did not charge and a second identical run where half way I did charge. Using regen indicators as guide to battery temp the first non-charging run (steady 65 mph on freeway) regen stayed fixed at below 25kw. Return journey, regen still below 25kw until about 12 miles from supercharger when regen limit started lifting to over 50kw. After supercharge, regen stayed high for remainder of journey.

Yes, I am talking about the OG cars, not the new ones.

Reactions: supratachophobia
Just to be sure, I'm talking about seeing the icon on the Tesla mobile app and not the car's instrument cluster or the 17" monitor. I see it on the app when the battery is cold enough to be preheated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200111_095237_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20200111_095237_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: DJRas and Droschke