Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounded to me that many people here think that if Tesla replaced your battery with a new or refurbished one, you will automatically gain back your supercharging speed. That is questionable. I, for one, will not consider slower charging as acceptable under any circumstances
My battery has just been replaced under warranty and I've lost 12% of range, from 9% degradation with my old pack to 21% degradation with the refurbished one ! My S85 has now a 85kwh pack that could barely hold 64kwh ! If they don't want to replace that shitty pack with a good one I'm gonna sue them for warranty breach. It's like having a 500hp V8 engine beeing replaced under warranty with a 300hp V6. Not gonna work.

I've got VIN p01283 and I can't get it to supercharge over 74kW. I've got S00037 Model X and I can never get above 96kW. I'm really frustrated about a popular t-shirt coming out to monetize them owning their challenges, but when it comes to real challenges early adopters get the reach-around. I love everything else, but they are taking a big chunk of my value and use out of the car and acting like nothing happened.

My battery has just been replaced under warranty and I've lost 12% of range, from 9% degradation with my old pack to 21% degradation with the refurbished one ! My S85 has now a 85kwh pack that could barely hold 64kwh ! If they don't want to replace that shitty pack with a good one I'm gonna sue them for warranty breach. It's like having a 500hp V8 engine beeing replaced under warranty with a 300hp V6. Not gonna work.
What firmware where you on when your HV battery failed?

I think the days of really fast supercharging are done for everyone, Looking at the current Supercharging page, the emphasis is on ubiquity, and cost, with few specifics on speed--it even says charging above 80% isn't typically necessary.
That simply means that tesla replacing batteries is just a gimmic . And by far not a warranty satisfaction. Is just mud in the eyes to keep your car drivable, even just like nothing you bargained for.

My 2013 S85 currently gets 220 miles on a 100% charge. I've been thinking about downloading the latest update in the hopes that it will lead to my receiving a battery defect warning and then a new battery. However, now I'm going to hold off in light of the story below. 206 miles at 100%? That's crazy.

Tesla Model S85 Year: 2014 Millage: 61,477
Original Owner purchased April 1, 2014

Charging max when new:
Trip-Max: 262 (100%)
Recommended -Daily 238 (90%)

As of January 20, 2020
Trip-Max: 206 (100%)
Recommended -Daily 190 (90%)

Hi David,

Thank you for your efforts in trying to resolve this issue. It’s nice I am not alone with trying to resolve this. I have experienced everything you have gone through and as of this last weekend have now experienced a new low in the battery charging performance. The spiral downward all started after the software update.

This weekend having to make a longer trip that required Super Charging I set the car at trip (100%) and was only able to get up to 206 miles at home with my Tesla home charger. Stopping at a Supercharger on the way home I was able to only get 43 miles in 45 minutes. I arrived at home with the car at 38 miles and charged at 90% last night This morning the car was at a new low 190 miles.

I want to also point out that on a recent longer trip I ran the car down to 23 miles with only 2 miles needed to reach the Supercharger. The car was not in low milage mode. I accelerated to pass another car and the Tesla prompted me to pull over and the car was shutting down. The car was towed and serviced.

I was first told from the service center the motor needed to be replaced, I found this hard to believe because as I had a new motor under warranty as 3 years ago installed. Then I was told it was not the motor but the main battery, which I thought seemed to be the issue. Then on the last call from the service center I was told it was not the main battery but the 12 volt battery. The last time the 12 volt was replaced was about 2.5 years ago and there was a warning on my instrument cluster stating that it was in need of replacement. No warning appeared this time.

My car has the extended 4 year warranty and I was charged for the 12 volt battery replacement. As a kind gesture they waived the towing charge. This was in late November 2019 and since then the charging capacity has really began to diminish.

I have read and concluded on my own that the reason the car shut down from various posts and am convinced there is something seriously wrong with the main battery. I have an appointment with my local service center next week to review the cars charging ability and performance.

My question is as a California resident am I automatically represented in your class action law suit and would receive the benefits of justice against Tesla if your were to succeed?

Thank you
Skipper

Reactions: First EV and gmo43
That simply means that tesla replacing batteries is just a gimmic . And by far not a warranty satisfaction. Is just mud in the eyes to keep your car drivable, even just like nothing you bargained for.

Disagree...
  • Getting range back would be hugely valuable
  • Mitigating any underlying safety issues would also be welcome
  • Anything above my current 70kW-80kW, especially with a more reasonable taper would be great
I am OK not going back to the 100kW+ speeds if that turned out to be the root cause of all this

Wow that's really bad. The warranty clearly says you get at least the same capacity of better. Replacing it with one that is clipped by #batterygate is just ridiculous.

Disagree...
  • Getting range back would be hugely valuable
  • Mitigating any underlying safety issues would also be welcome
  • Anything above my current 70kW-80kW, especially with a more reasonable taper would be great
I am OK not going back to the 100kW+ speeds if that turned out to be the root cause of all this

No Sir. Wrong. You might be happy that you getting miles back, but that is not the car you bargained and paid for. With this slow charge it is impractical to use the car for what I paid for. As a matter of fact, I would say if anyone uses the car for out of town trips (i assume majority do) , charge time is more significant than 10% miles.

No Sir. Wrong. You might be happy that you getting miles back, but that is not the car you bargained and paid for. With this slow charge it is impractical to use the car for what I paid for. As a matter of fact, I would say if anyone uses the car for out of town trips (i assume majority do) , charge time is more significant than 10% miles.

After many, many SC-fueled road trips in our S and X over the last few years, the practical difference between a peak rate of 100kW+ and, say 90kW charging is negligible, to me at least. Restored range and a more reasonable taper are of more practical benefit for me.

After 6.5 years and 130K miles, I expected some loss or range and slowing of charging speed. I don't expect my S to drive like new, but I also expect better than I am currently getting.

After many, many SC-fueled road trips in our S and X over the last few years, the practical difference between a peak rate of 100kW+ and, say 90kW charging is negligible, to me at least. Restored range and a more reasonable taper are of more practical benefit for me.

After 6.5 years and 130K miles, I expected some loss or range and slowing of charging speed. I don't expect my S to drive like new, but I also expect better than I am currently getting.

It really depends on how reduced the battery is. Mine is heavily reduced and the other batterygate issues pile up that it becomes a major issue.

Really, I dont know what you talking about. You talking about diff. Bet 90 and 100kw. We are talking here about charge time at supercharger has went up 70 to 90% since the dreaded firmware of may June 2019.

If you using your car to commute, that is one thing. If you using your car on long trips, this a show stopper. The car, simply, does not fit ANY MORE, what I bought it for.

Really, I dont know what you talking about. You talking about diff. Bet 90 and 100kw. We are talking here about charge time at supercharger has went up 70 to 90% since the dreaded firmware of may June 2019.

If you using your car to commute, that is one thing. If you using your car on long trips, this a show stopper. The car, simply, does not fit ANY MORE, what I bought it for.

I am in the same boat. Range is now -200 miles and SC times are -50% longer. My point was that if a replacement pack gets me back to 90 kW with a good taper, I’ll be happy. I am not expecting the 100kW+ rates of a few years ago, I would not see it as a gimmick.

The BMS only allows 90-ish kW max charge rate no matter what on my 2014 85 battery (revision D). I'm monitoring this value every day as I drive and under all kinds of conditions. In reality the charge rate is often lower. It seems the BMS has this max charge value only as 'general guide'. There must be a secondary system that regulated charge rate and it has higher priority. For example I see 90 kW as the max value, I plug in at a supercharger and only see 40 kW (unpaired stall). After about 30-60 seconds the max charge value 'catches up' and goes down to 40 kW as well.
The same is true for the max discharge rate and max regen rate. The values on the CAN bus are one thing, but the car often limits these values different. For example when the battery is cold, the max regen you get driving is very close to what the CAN bis says. When the regen is limited by the state of charge (let's say it's at 95%) the CAN bis might say you have 40 kW max regen but the car will only do about half of that. I'm not sure what to make of that. Why is there a value set but then the car does something else?

Reactions: Droschke
I am in the same boat. Range is now -200 miles and SC times are -50% longer. My point was that if a replacement pack gets me back to 90 kW with a good taper, I’ll be happy. I am not expecting the 100kW+ rates of a few years ago, I would not see it as a gimmick.
The loss we talking about here on this thread is NOT DEGRADATION that YOU EXPECT AFTER FEW YEARS OF USAGE. it is something resulting from selling defective merchandise. The car is NO LONGER FITS WHAT YOU OR ME BARGAINED FOR.

I dont see how can anyone be happy with that!!

What firmware where you on when your HV battery failed?
I honestly don't remember the exact the version number but it was the version that said they were making change in the battery management algorithm. When the car was at Tesla Service I received on the phone App a software download/installation message, so they obviously installed another version on the car. The current version is 2019.40.2.6.

My 2013 S85 currently gets 220 miles on a 100% charge. I've been thinking about downloading the latest update in the hopes that it will lead to my receiving a battery defect warning and then a new battery. However, now I'm going to hold off in light of the story below. 206 miles at 100%? That's crazy.
My previous battery gave me 215 miles range before I got the infamus "Maximum battery charge level reduced"... after replacement under warranty I'm down to 186 miles of max. range. So DO NOT INSTALL ANY UPDATE ANYMORE... EVER !