Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some stats that don't add up. I have an MS60 2014, available capacity from new was 58.6kWh. Available capacity as of today 47kWh (via SMT). UK rated when new was 242 miles, rated miles now 206 miles. 58.6kWh downto 47kWh is approx. 20% reduction yet 242 to 206 is only 15% ? Is this downto Tesla changing the rated range efficiency? 242kWh/mile downto 228kWh/mile ?

I would trust SMT.

So I had my 12v replaced less than a year ago. I just got a warning asking for replacement/service again. I wonder if it's due to pumps and vents working constantly. Battery had also been draining faster but thought it may be colder temps.

Still have 40.2.3 waiting to install. Wonder if any of these are signs of possible imminent HV battery failure. Hope not. Also scared hearing about these on board charger fails. Feel like this car is falling apart. What a shame

• Informative
Reactions: raphy3
Even the 185 wouldn't be acceptable assuming it's software limited. They can't limit your car and then use that for your milage, otherwise they could limit the car to 1 mile then replace it with a sack of double As.
While they might have some problems with the EPA about how long Rated Range should actually have to be delivered, they are telling you in the new warranty only to count on 70%, which is 185 if Rated was 265.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I'm in a similar situation. My 12v battery was replaced 2-3 years ago and I just got a notification that it needs to be replaced again. I also have refused to install the latest firmware. However, I hope my main battery fails so I can get a new one.

So I had my 12v replaced less than a year ago. I just got a warning asking for replacement/service again. I wonder if it's due to pumps and vents working constantly. Battery had also been draining faster but thought it may be colder temps.

Still have 40.2.3 waiting to install. Wonder if any of these are signs of possible imminent HV battery failure. Hope not. Also scared hearing about these on board charger fails. Feel like this car is falling apart. What a shame

Reactions: gmo43
I'm in a similar situation. My 12v battery was replaced 2-3 years ago and I just got a notification that it needs to be replaced again. I also have refused to install the latest firmware.

You may have to update. People have reported that the current 12v battery Tesla installs is a new kind that requires a configuration change that is only available in newer firmware. I just don't know how current the firmware needs to be.

This "Unable to Fast DC charge/Supercharge" error can also be caused by Supercharger issues; it doesn't mean a problem with your car. I saw it the first time last Sunday when I tried to charge at Lincoln, NH. I tried all 3 pairs; all failed. I went down the road to Loon Mountain to use one of their 80A destination chargers (yay, dual chargers!), and found 2 others who couldn't charge. 2 more came by while I was charging. The Supercharger still shows "Temporary closure" in the nav system.
I assumed it might have been something like a SC cabinet communication issue. I saw another car (M3) arrive and back into the cabinet that I had a problem with and a few minutes later move to another cabinet.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
The figures for a new 85 Pack were 81.5kWh Total, 77.5kWh Usable. (Full figures above at post 10,366), so I agree, your pack seems pretty healthy.

The Warning that some owners are getting after 2019.40.2 was “Maximum battery charge level reduced”. That indicates a replacement battery is required. But that is not the warning you are getting.

So overall, I think you are in good condition. Nevertheless as you are getting the monitoring hardware (OBD and Cable) I would take a whole bunch of readings now, including a snap at 100%, whilst things are still good. They may be useful as a comparison in the future.
Thanks for the quote on those figures! I'd seen them somewhere before, but forgot the exact numbers. My approximate calculations came up to about 80-81-ish kW total pack capacity given the amount I could estimate from a 3-4% to 100% charge session and kW added numbers. I remember when I bought my car there was something I saw in the history that showed a relatively small amount of DC charing kW compared with AC kW added. I mostly charge at home, so I guess that keeps things going in a good direction. I'd like to think I can drive my current car for a good 5 or so more years with no major issues.... although I am considering adding a M3LR to the stable.

Reactions: Ferrycraigs
79A@239V - the HPWC is literally on the other side of the wall from the service panel, but I still mange to lose a volt in there somewhere :)

I agree the does not seem so high, but perhaps some weirdness between the onboard charger and the BMS/battery pack. I know, clutching at straws...

I thought that the single onboard charger was rated at 11KW while a Model S/X with dual chargers could accept 22KW

The max AC power my S is able to accept is 11KW with its single onboard charger (AC-DC converter)

Last edited:
Guy V said
While they might have some problems with the EPA about how long Rated Range should actually have to be delivered, they are telling you in the new warranty only to count on 70%, which is 185 if Rated was 265.

The cars we are discussing are not new cars and are not under any new car warranty, so I don't know what your point is. Our older cars warranty requires them to use a replacement battery with equal to or greater than the milage before the failure, that can't include an artificial imposed cap, put in place by Tesla.

Last edited:
use a replacement battery with equal to or greater than the milage before the failure,

Which if you think about it is a crazy way of looking at it, and as always driven by Tesla trying to keep their liability to rock bottom.

Imagine having a transmission 'fail' on an ICE car with say a stripped gear and being told by the manufacturer they were digging around tying to find a old transmission with the same amount of wear as yours had when it failed! Either fix the specific component that failed or the whole unit.

It should be a statement of maximum acceptable deterioration in energy storage from original spec and replacement with as new spec remanufactured. The notion that they can match a replacement to what your pack was like at the moment of failure is ridiculous. At that moment it had probably deteriorated excessively because it was faulty (or capped even!).

I thought that the single onboard charger was rated at 11KW while a Model S/X with dual chargers could accept 22KW

The max AC power my S is able to accept is 11KW with its single onboard charger (AC-DC converter)
Yep older MSs (pre face lift) had 11kW onboard chargers. Those that paid for dual chargers could draw 22 kWs, but that required 3 Phase supply for the post to deliver more than 7kW, so most owners opted for a Chademo Adapter, which allowed for 50kW DC, and was a significantly cheaper Option. The onboard charger was increased to 16 kW on facelift models.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Bjorn talks about his Model 3's battery reduced supercharging:

I agree with pretty much everything stated here.

If you research Power Wall type products - pure battery storage appliances - they typically have quite strict and clear warranty terms. When making my selection of storage battery, I preferred a clear cut warranty of the amount of energy passing through the battery. It's the energy that has value, and while how fast the energy can be added to or removed from the battery clearly makes a difference, I'm prepared to work around such limitations in order to fit in with what the battery prefers to give longest life. The longer the battery can continue processing energy usefully, the higher its value becomes.

We need to have a different view of our EVs to how we saw ICE vehicles. The battery has a predetermined life expectancy during which it can process a certain amount of energy while still meeting the needs of the application. The warranty should underwrite a large portion of that period. Outside of the expected reasonable performance, it's like free money the longer you keep your battery doing a useful job. You bought it knowing it had an anticipated life cycle, so the longer you can prolong that, the better off you are.

Elon keeps restating that slow charging is preferable for longevity, and he's right. Same as Bjorn points out. Battery care is something that every EV owner should take into account because it benefits them if they keep the car longterm, and whenever they sell it will benefit the next owner and the planet.

Bjorn makes an interesting point that's obvious but only recently become very clear to me. A higher capacity battery is not just about range. It can also process larger amounts of energy and be operated well within its 'comfort zone' for more of its life (especially by obviating DCFC).

It is a verifiable fact that stems from the physics / chemistry of the batteries that they have a known deterioration pattern that is exacerbated by certain use parameters - fast charge, fast discharge, use outside optimal temperature range, prolonged storage at full charge levels. No way around this stuff except to take them all into account and give your battery the most sympathetic use possible without making your car unenjoyable or impractical. That balance will be different for each owner, but I personally enjoy having and carefully using nice things and looking after them to maximise my enjoyment.

Last edited: