Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reman packs get the original Tyco contactors replaced if they have them, and a few other small items are done. There is no module replacement. That’s why some reman packs are capped. They have also been using 90kwh packs as replacement for select 85kwh packs. That 100kwh pack posted here a while ago that is shy two modules, seems to be a unicorn so far, so I wouldn’t expect that to be anything other than a test pack(at this time).
What evidence or proof do you have with this claim?

Reactions: Guy V and fbitz777
Reman packs get the original Tyco contactors replaced if they have them, and a few other small items are done. There is no module replacement. That’s why some reman packs are capped. They have also been using 90kwh packs as replacement for select 85kwh packs. That 100kwh pack posted here a while ago that is shy two modules, seems to be a unicorn so far, so I wouldn’t expect that to be anything other than a test pack(at this time).
Where did you get the impression that reman packs are capped (voltage wise)..so far we have only observed that they are degraded but not capped.
If you claim NO module replacement is being done then I claim these reman packs are coming from trade-ins/lemon or salvaged cars...i.e low mileage packs

Reactions: Guy V
Where did you get the impression that reman packs are capped (voltage wise)..so far we have only observed that they are degraded but not capped.
If you claim NO module replacement is being done then I claim these reman packs are coming from trade-ins/lemon or salvaged cars...i.e low mileage packs
Obviously the really bad packs are scrapped, but Tesla probably isn’t going to scrap most used packs.

Reactions: Guy V
If I had been told by Tesla 5 years ago that supercharging regularly would eventually cause my charging speeds to be cut in half, I would have behaved very differently. I would have used supercharging only for long trips instead of frequently (once a week), as I did. They need to compensate me for their screw-up because I now have a car that is not longer suitable for out of town travel. I can't do a road trip with a Tesla that won't charge over 50kwh, despite Tesla's ridiculous new claim in their updated warranty that charging speeds will increase by "a few minutes". Try double!

People here keep talking about how Tesla is going to manage replacing all these battery packs. I see that as highly unlikely. I think a cash settlement is far more likely, which I would be fine with. It would need to cover the loss of value that will undoubtedly occur as this knowledge becomes widespread, as well as the loss of function of the car. I would guess something in the range of $15-20k would make me whole.
I just want a reasonably priced, current technology replacement battery. They are going to have offer this sooner or later, so let them get on with it. (I wouldn't mind a customer loyalty discount for the trouble and inconvenience though.)

Reactions: VT_EE and Droschke
IIRC, the 100 kWh pack cells have different chemistry, so that might be a plus. As Elon mentioned on the last earnings call in response to the evergreen "will the S&X get 2170 cells" question, the chemistry of the 18650 cells has been improved a number of times over the years so, newer packs, even reman pack, are an improvement to some degree. The question is if the improvements are related to things like range or longevity or maybe a bit of both.
How do you know reman packs are better? Other than they may currently work better than the pack they replaced when it failed.

Reactions: Droschke
I just want a reasonably priced, current technology replacement battery. They are going to have offer this sooner or later, so let them get on with it. (I wouldn't mind a customer loyalty discount for the trouble and inconvenience though.)
Maybe they should just offer replacement packs outside of warranty at cost. It isn't typical to do for replacement parts but it would help with customer retention. Its a lot harder to gain a customer back than to just keep them.

2014 Model S 85.

I got a quote of $24k(plus or minus) to replace my affected capped battery for a 90kw battery. So this is how Tesla takes care of their customers.
Take the money,
Let the driver enjoy a few years of enjoyment.
Take away a percentage of the battery capacity
Charge like hell to replace the battery.
Hmmmm.... Maybe a Prius Hybrid ain't so bad after all. At least, they won't reduce my fuel tank without me knowing about it.

How do you know reman packs are better? Other than they may currently work better than the pack they replaced when it failed.

Well, wouldn't than make them better? :). In my case, my reman pack addressed all the shortcomings my old pack--the only outstanding item is SC speed, which I have not had an oppty to test. My point was that if you get a newer pack, even if its reman, it probably has better cell chemistry than the pack it replaced if the reman pack is a newer rev.

Reactions: Ferrycraigs
I've just had a pack failure. The car notified me that battery capacity was reduced, and it refused to charge from any source, so it was flat towed 300km to Tesla as, of course, I didn't have the range to get there. They confirmed the pack failure but they apparently can't get a replacement pack until mid-May. They told me that it either be new or factory reconditioned, I don't think that they knew which. The good news is that I'm getting a new non-voltage limited battery and normal charge rate. The better news is that they've given me a 100D in the meantime. I've never been so happy to get a major car failure, nor to have my car off the road for so long:D

I'm not sure why it would take so long to get a replacement battery, hopefully, it means that they are making up a new 85kWh pack with new chemistry cells.
The good thing is that Australian consumer law will make the 8 year warranty apply to the new pack

After a few european trips, and heavy 0-110 mph accelerations, plus a couple of autobahn cruises at 140 mph Tesla is replacing the battery on my P49D.

After the recent update to improve the battery management system, I have has the warning message about the charge level restriction.

Now I have a loan car, and am waiting on a 90kwh battery. Tesla did some checks to ensure that a battery replacement really was necessary under warrantee, apparently my car passed this... And I am looking forward to the car back.

My car has 75k miles and is a 2016 classic P85D

There certainly seems to be an uptick of pack replacements going on thanks to the latest firmware updates. I take that as a good sign for the regular posters here. Here's hoping @Droschke, @Gixx1300R, @Ferrycraigs, and the rest of the crew have failures in the near future. It's kind of bizarre viewing failures as a good thing, but hey, this is sort of uncharted territory in the automotive world.

Perhaps some trips to the local drag strip are in order to hasten the pack's demise. It would be fun trying.

I've just had a pack failure. The car notified me that battery capacity was reduced, and it refused to charge from any source, so it was flat towed 300km to Tesla as, of course, I didn't have the range to get there. They confirmed the pack failure but they apparently can't get a replacement pack until mid-May. They told me that it either be new or factory reconditioned, I don't think that they knew which. The good news is that I'm getting a new non-voltage limited battery and normal charge rate. The better news is that they've given me a 100D in the meantime. I've never been so happy to get a major car failure, nor to have my car off the road for so long:D

I'm not sure why it would take so long to get a replacement battery, hopefully, it means that they are making up a new 85kWh pack with new chemistry cells.
The good thing is that Australian consumer law will make the 8 year warranty apply to the new pack

Let's all hope the new 350v "85" kwh pack with 89 capacity is greenlit as a real fix and enters mass production in early May.

Took my annual trip to Austria for skiing last week. It's about 1000km away.

My car is not voltage capped (368 km at 100%) and has about 7-8% degradation after 160,000km. I charged to 100% before leaving and installed software 2020.4.1 a day before.

Usually I take 6 or 7 supercharger stops. Overall it took me about ~45 minutes longer overall charging than usual. Chargegate is definitely a thing. However, I did still see speeds of 120kW+ at low SoC (5-10%), up to about 20% it's still above 95 kW and then tapers off (50% SoC is about 60kW, 70% is about 35-40kW).

Arrived with about 20% remaining at my destination, charged it up with a 22kW AC to 90% and parked it (indoors) for the remainder of the week.
I rarely checked the SoC of the car as I just want it sleeping. However, after 7 days and packing the car the SoC was at 74% and a "maximum battery charge level reduced" error was on the screen.

Drove 150km to a Supercharger. Arrived with about 10%. It showed I used about ~35 kWh / 65%, or extrapolated a maximum capacity of ~54 kWh. The supercharger wouldn't allow it to charger further than 19% (and 15-19% took 20 minutes), as well as showing "charging completed".

I called roadside assistance and they saw a highly imbalance in the pack. They advised me not to supercharge further and try to make it to the service center in Munich. I used two destination chargers to get there. At that point it wouldn't even charge above 7% anymore.

Had to get a rental car (ICE) to get home, the fee will be reimbursed if it's a warranty problem (which it should be). They wouldn't give me a Tesla loaner, as they don't have European wide insurance, so I wouldn't be allowed to take a Tesla loaner outside Germany to the Netherlands :rolleyes:. Even more annoying is that I will have to drive 800km with the rental, then 800km back home to pick the car up.

My pack has part number: 1014114 - 00 - E.
Funny enough, the battery is at 0% now (24h later) and still parked where I left it (6%) after telling them specifically the drain is enormous. Their problem now...

So, even though everything seemed fine at first, the pack just gave up. Will keep you guys informed about any developments.

Edit: Couple minutes after typing this I received a call. New battery is ordered and hopefully it will arrive early next week. The car should be ready soon after then too. Everything (including the rental) covered under warranty.
I note some bad charging habits in your statement above, if this is typical of your charging scenarios I'm really not surprised you finally had an issue.