Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is going to be a battery replacement program. I doubt there was much urgency to have a replacement program until the early batteries were out of warranty. I suspect there is more urgency now that they realize some of these batteries aren't holding up as well as planned.
How do you know there is going to be a replacement program? Its obvious there is a replacement supply constraint and quotes of $24k for a replacement are not reasonable.

Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
My car is worth maybe $20k because it is so old and has so many miles. If I scrap along a wall or something scratching one side of my car, the cost of replace front and rear quarter panels and two doors would way exceed the value of my car. The insurance would total the car. Yet there is no reason to disable supercharging if I decide to buy those parts and fix it myself. No critical parts that would affect the battery or any electrical parts were damaged.
You damage the hood and a fender they may total it. No I am not exaggerating, go look at auction cars many newer teslas then ours are totaled with very little damage.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I wonder how they find out.
I do know they know if the air bags have been deployed. I got a call almost immediately. Also likely a service monitors registration changes and reports it. Example I had gap insurance on a travel trailer, sold the trailer and got a refund for the gap insurance. I never let the gap insurance know I sold the trailer so it was a nice surprise.

You damage the hood and a fender they may total it. No I am not exaggerating, go look at auction cars many newer teslas then ours are totaled with very little damage.
I remember a few years ago a post on here where somebody scraped a rear quarter panel in parking garage. Back then, pretty much all MS's were "new." It was totalled, even though it was really just cosmetic.

Thanks David. I did notice the thread's title while back and thought it was only the seal (which still doesn't make sense). Missed the contactor was denied as well. Apparently they make up new bizarre rules as they go.

Yes. To quote a famous literary character:

"'When I use a word', Humpty Dumpty said in a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'" L. Carroll

We all know what happened to the aforementioned H. Dumpty.

• Love
Reactions: Droschke
But that says they are only going to permanently disable Supercharging on cars that have been written off. So no wrecks glued back together and back on the road. Good thing. So write offs, once written off, only useable for spares. Perhaps a bit extreme, but not sure its going to stop me sleeping. And that has been pretty much their position for many years. In the past they would only re-instate Supercharging after they had done a thorough investigation of the car. Did they ever pass one? I have no idea.
But that will likely reduce salvaged tesla values. Reducing what insurance gets for them at auction therefore higher insurance rates.

• Informative
My car is worth maybe $20k because it is so old and has so many miles. If I scrap along a wall or something scratching one side of my car, the cost of replace front and rear quarter panels and two doors would way exceed the value of my car. The insurance would total the car. Yet there is no reason to disable supercharging if I decide to buy those parts and fix it myself. No critical parts that would affect the battery or any electrical parts were damaged.
Don’t disagree. Although if it’s written off, what’s the problem with buying another one with the insurance, that hasn't been crunched. But I completely accept some write offs are repairable. In your example, you would still have to get Tesla to inspect and approve it for Supercharging. They might, but it sounds like they don’t. Maybe a high risk strategy, that might result in the repair bill being money down the drain. I am definitely not saying I approve of their policy. But it sounds like that’s what they did anyway, now they are just formalising it into policy.

An unneeded degradation that BMS failed to keep under control? Is that what you are saying?

You are twisting my words.

An unneeded degradation would be if there was another way of charging equally fast with less degradation?
The BMS assumed a higher remaining capacity than actual remaining capacity.
Possibilities are many:
- Degradation from High Current charging likely under estimated
- Constantly cycling at high SoC and never resting at low (to recoverable capacity) perhaps was not programmed in?
. . . . .

Just completed a Supercharge session tonight.

MS 85D 45k miles. Voltage capped and reduced supercharging.

Here's my latest charge graph (courtesy of Teslamate; I'm not affiliated in any way)

Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 22.53.49.png

The yellow line is Power (min 38KW, max 115KW). Blue is (typical) range in miles and green is SOC.
Basically added 160 miles of range in 50 minutes which is worse than a year ago.

• Informative
Reactions: caps04 and Droschke
You are twisting my words.

An unneeded degradation would be if there was another way of charging equally fast with less degradation?
The BMS assumed a higher remaining capacity than actual remaining capacity.
Possibilities are many:
- Degradation from High Current charging likely under estimated
- Constantly cycling at high SoC and never resting at low (to recoverable capacity) perhaps was not programmed in?
. . . . .

I'm not trying to misrepresent what you have said, rather simply looking for more insight, including the bottom line question:

Who is responsible for these mishaps?

How do you know there is going to be a replacement program? Its obvious there is a replacement supply constraint and quotes of $24k for a replacement are not reasonable.
Because I firmly believe they are not so stupid they would let their vehicles die an early death due to a lack of replacement batteries. Nobody would buy their cars. To clarify, replacement program means Tesla will have new packs available for older vehicles for purchase and to replace failed units under warranty.

• Helpful
Agreed, and to take it further, in my case, on other vehicles I've owned (non-tesla), I've had 3 totaled cars in the last 18 years (Not my fault), in each case, I was able to buy them back, and the titles were never branded. They just said keep it, and took the buy back cost out of the cost of my settlement/payout. At least here in Wisconsin, I've never seen a branded title unless the vehicle left the owners possession. Such as when the insurance company takes ownership and brings it to auction. Once you hand the title over, thats what happens here.

Agreed, and to take it further, in my case, on other vehicles I've owned (non-tesla), I've had 3 totaled cars in the last 18 years (Not my fault), in each case, I was able to buy them back, and the titles were never branded. They just said keep it, and took the buy back cost out of the cost of my settlement/payout. At least here in Wisconsin, I've never seen a branded title unless the vehicle left the owners possession. Such as when the insurance company takes ownership and brings it to auction. Once you hand the title over, thats what happens here.

It varies by state. Here in Oregon the insurance company is required to report it to DMV and the registration is immediately terminated. Then you have to apply for s me branded title and repay for the registration. The only inspection required is that the VIN matches. (And emissions if it is an ICE.)

Because I firmly believe they are not so stupid they would let their vehicles die an early death due to a lack of replacement batteries. Nobody would buy their cars. To clarify, replacement program means Tesla will have new packs available for older vehicles for purchase and to replace failed units under warranty.
I hope you are right. However the replacement program should have been running a year ago and everything else indicates they want the older model S cars to go away and they don't seam to care how it affects PR. People are buying their cars new now anyway despite all of this.

Just completed a Supercharge session tonight.

MS 85D 45k miles. Voltage capped and reduced supercharging.

Here's my latest charge graph (courtesy of Teslamate; I'm not affiliated in any way)

View attachment 511905

The yellow line is Power (min 38KW, max 115KW). Blue is (typical) range in miles and green is SOC.
Basically added 160 miles of range in 50 minutes which is worse than a year ago.
Same car (85D) with a bit more millage (65k). Started charging at 60kw today at 29%SOC, battery warmed up and exterior temperature at 9 Celsius. And of course noone next to me. On top of that, Tesla seems to be constantly improving their lies. Apart from the same typical range, the car is now incorrectly giving me way off charging time estinates. 29-90% SOC estimate was 45 mins. 30 mins later with SOC at 62% (39kw), the estimate is now 30 mins. The car took 1:10h to do a 29-90% charge.

Last edited:
I hope you are right. However the replacement program should have been running a year ago and everything else indicates they want the older model S cars to go away and they don't seam to care how it affects PR. People are buying their cars new now anyway despite all of this.
Well now, let's all make sure they don't from now on

Same car (85D) with a bit more millage (65k). Started charging at 60kw today at 29%SOC, battery warmed up and exterior temperature at 9 Celsius. And of course noone next to me. On top of that, Tesla seems to be constantly improving their lies. Apart from the same typical range, the car is now incorrectly giving me way off charging time estinates. 29-90% SOC estimate was 45 mins. 30 mins later with SOC at 62% (39kw), the estimate is now 30 mins. The car took 1:10h to do a 29-90% charge.

2015 85D 125k miles. Battery capped and charging throttled. Good God it's borderline unusable for any trip requiring a supercharge session.

Pulled up at 37%. Battery fully warm (90 min drive to here). Outside temp 60 degrees F. No shared charger. Maxed out at 62kw, and started to fall quickly. Now at 75% and 36kw.

Just horrid.

2015 85D 125k miles. Battery capped and charging throttled. Good God it's borderline unusable for any trip requiring a supercharge session.

Pulled up at 37%. Battery fully warm (90 min drive to here). Outside temp 60 degrees F. No shared charger. Maxed out at 62kw, and started to fall quickly. Now at 75% and 36kw.

Just horrid.

Another typical example of how poorly charging speeds are for these cars (even on a warm battery!).