Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was digging through some older posts from 2017 and some folks were under the assumption that slower Supercharging speeds might not necessary be due to just each individual car's software, but the hardware and programming at the Supercharger might be a source of restriction as well. Some cited high charger wand temperature as a correction with less than peak SuC rates regardless of pairing/SOC%/battery temperature.

as someone who has 205k+ miles where more than 60-70% of that is supercharged and who has been denying updates since before batterygate, I believe it is the software firmware update that does the #batterygate voltage cap on the battery (hence why I keep denying updates), but #chargegate is entirely done at the supercharger. I'm not voltage capped but my supercharging sessions take about over hour to get from 10-80%, 1.5 hours to get to 90% and over 2 hours if I want to go to 100%. The rate might start at 118kw but within a few minutes its down to 70kw and not long before it gets to 50-60kw where it sits for a majority of it. post 50% SOC its below 50kw usually around 42kw and then its just the paaaiiinnn of waiiittttinnnngggg to get enough charge to make it to the next supercharger...

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
I believe it is the software firmware update that does the #batterygate voltage cap on the battery (hence why I keep denying updates), but #chargegate is entirely done at the supercharger.

I am no sure about that. There is no way for an SC to independently know what's going on. with a car. Minimally the BMS needs to signal the mothership that there is an issue and the VIN gets flagged when the car goes to SC, but I was under the impression the the SCs are pretty dumb and the BMS controls the charging voltage, so it would seem to me that the BMS also implements chargegate. This would align with my experiences supercharging, where, immediately on plugging in, the charging voltage would show something high (i.e. 90 kW), then its like someone yells "hold on there, skippy" and the charging voltage immediately drops before charging actually starts.

I am no sure about that. There is no way for an SC to independently know what's going on. with a car. Minimally the BMS needs to signal the mothership that there is an issue and the VIN gets flagged when the car goes to SC, but I was under the impression the the SCs are pretty dumb and the BMS controls the charging voltage, so it would seem to me that the BMS also implements chargegate. This would align with my experiences supercharging, where, immediately on plugging in, the charging voltage would show something high (i.e. 90 kW), then its like someone yells "hold on there, skippy" and the charging voltage immediately drops before charging actually starts.

I think there are two issues that determine Supercharging speeds. The first issue is detected in our batteries themselves by the BMS. When the batteries are sufficiently warm enough, the SC sends the maximum current to the battery while the BMS does its voodoo. Within a few seconds, the charge rate (say at 15% SOC) will plummet from a transitory 110 +/- kW to the gimped 83-85, and drop quickly after that. The BMS has detected a certain condition with the batteries so caps the Supercharging rate.

The second issue is temperature. I could visit a local SC at 9AM on a 45-degree day and receive about 90 kW at a low SOC. Under similar conditions today, the maximum rate I see is around 45-50kW. I might get to around 60kW at 35-40% once the battery warms, but then the taper starts from there.

I think this is borne out because during our cooler months with a 50-70% SOC, regenerative braking is limited to ~45kW when the temperatures are below 60 degrees or so until the battery is sufficiently warm. I never saw reduced regenerative braking limited in years past at such low SOC.

Hi All!

I have, as noted above, a knee capped 2014 Late build S85-no sunroof, which in response to my request tfor a buy back by TESLA,through the service manager at my service center, I was offered $34,400 for a 32K mileage white trade in value. They responded with the usual "operating normally...."

I'll have to see what the street value is at this point for the car, though. Not sure what disclosure documents for gated cars would be tough I wonder if this thread link is enough?

Thank you very much

FURY

• Funny
Reactions: faughtz
Hi All!

I have, as noted above, a knee capped 2014 Late build S85-no sunroof, which in response to my request tfor a buy back by TESLA,through the service manager at my service center, I was offered $34,400 for a 32K mileage white trade in value. They responded with the usual "operating normally...."

I'll have to see what the street value is at this point for the car, though. Not sure what disclosure documents for gated cars would be tough I wonder if this thread link is enough?

Thank you very much

FURY
If Tesla says your vehicle is operating normally and there is nothing wrong with your battery, why would you specifically say anything different to a prospective buyer? What is there to disclose, your suspicion that Tesla is lying? Tesla, itself, does not disclose actual range when it sells a trade-in. In fact, Tesla advertises the EPA range (when new) on its used cars. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but why screw yourself with an unnecessary disclosure?

Ask Tesla to perform a battery diagnostic. Tesla will give you something in writing on your invoice regarding their findings. Share that writing with your prospective buyer. You have shifted liability away from yourself to Tesla, while protecting your resale value.

Last edited:
If Tesla says your vehicle is operating normally and there is nothing wrong with your battery, why would you specifically say anything different to a prospective buyer? What is there to disclose, your suspicion that Tesla is lying? Tesla, itself, does not disclose actual range when it sells a trade-in. In fact, Tesla advertises the EPA range (when new) on its used cars. I'm sure some will disagree with me, but why screw yourself with an unnecessary disclosure?

Ask Tesla to perform a battery diagnostic. Tesla will give you something in writing on your invoice regarding their findings. Share that writing with your prospective buyer. You have shifted liability away from yourself to Tesla, while protecting your resale value.
I respectfully disagree with that suggestion. Someone else's, including a company's, wrong behavior does not make it ok if you do it. Showing a perspective buyer an invoice that says it's just fine when you know it's not fine is deliberately deceitful. You are pretty upset that Tesla is wronging you, over 11k posts in this thread with people upset about it, so don't do the same to someone else. Consider sending it to auction. At auction the car is sold to a buyer who should know that they are taking a huge risk buying the car vs tricking someone into thinking its fine.

same care here. lost 26 miles. Had a discussion with service adviser and tech last week. They said they'll discuss with the manager on what to do next and i should hear this week. Interestingly, neither argued the usual stuff about range, style of driving, etc. and also seemed genuinely surprised by what i said. Maybe this time, they'll actually do something.

I had requested to speak with the senior head of engineering here in Hong Kong, but they never got back to me. Even after multi call's and reminders i never got to speak with ANYONE till date. I keep installing all the latest software updates that come thru via OTA in some hope that i will get my missing KM back. It just really sucks when you're stuck in my kind of situation and Tesla pretends to not understand a word of what i am saying.

I had requested to speak with the senior head of engineering here in Hong Kong, but they never got back to me. Even after multi call's and reminders i never got to speak with ANYONE till date. I keep installing all the latest software updates that come thru via OTA in some hope that i will get my missing KM back. It just really sucks when you're stuck in my kind of situation and Tesla pretends to not understand a word of what i am saying.
There's a pretty good chance your local Tesla people genuinely do not understand a word you are saying, and it's unlikely there is even a position in Hong Kong related to engineering let alone a senior head of engineering as of course the cars are not designed, engineered, or built there. This decision unfortunately was likely made at the highest levels and not shared with service personnel and certainly not sales. We all know about the class action suit but I'm sure 98% of Tesla employees you are likely to encounter have no idea about it.

There's a pretty good chance your local Tesla people genuinely do not understand a word you are saying, and it's unlikely there is even a position in Hong Kong related to engineering let alone a senior head of engineering as of course the cars are not designed, engineered, or built there. This decision unfortunately was likely made at the highest levels and not shared with service personnel and certainly not sales. We all know about the class action suit but I'm sure 98% of Tesla employees you are likely to encounter have no idea about it.

I do have to agree with you on this - I was at the service center last week and i spoke to 1 of the reps there and told him about my MCU not coming on automaticially a couple of times when i enter the car and i told him that i wasn't sure if this was happening due to the eMMC's having some problem. His answer...... What's an eMMC?

I do have to agree with you on this - I was at the service center last week and i spoke to 1 of the reps there and told him about my MCU not coming on automaticially a couple of times when i enter the car and i told him that i wasn't sure if this was happening due to the eMMC's having some problem. His answer...... What's an eMMC?
What's an eMMC? About £3500 if Tesla replace it. Or £500 if done by a Third Party.

as someone who has 205k+ miles where more than 60-70% of that is supercharged and who has been denying updates since before batterygate, I believe it is the software firmware update that does the #batterygate voltage cap on the battery (hence why I keep denying updates), but #chargegate is entirely done at the supercharger. I'm not voltage capped but my supercharging sessions take about over hour to get from 10-80%, 1.5 hours to get to 90% and over 2 hours if I want to go to 100%. The rate might start at 118kw but within a few minutes its down to 70kw and not long before it gets to 50-60kw where it sits for a majority of it. post 50% SOC its below 50kw usually around 42kw and then its just the paaaiiinnn of waiiittttinnnngggg to get enough charge to make it to the next supercharger...

Your charge taper curve is totally defined in the car. Has nothing to do with the supercharger. The only time the supercharger gives less than the car asks for is if there's less than the car asks for due to pairing, utility supply, or other issues.

I just hit 136KW in my v8 P85DL the other day in Scotts Valley and the new V3 supercharger. I plugged in at 15% and it it stayed above 120KW until about 25%. By the time 54% rolled around, I was at my usual 68KW.

you can do this 100% in supercharger without needing firmware update by using the existing car's api. if the supercharger is merely querying the status of the BMS (basically the same or similar to what we see with scanmytesla obd2) and VIN number, then no changes are needed on the car's side. the supercharger can use this info to cap the charge rate because it will already know the age/cycles/state of the pack and along with the VIN it knows exactly what to do aka 'nerf all 85kw packs'.

I'm not convinced that will give you a warm enough battery to get good speeds at a local supercharger.
@Droschke, I hereby withdraw this statement - I tested twice, and saw the battery heater warm the pack from ~0C to ~20C. I'm not sure how long it took (I got distracted and didn't keep track of time), but it can definitely warm the pack to the point of getting a decent (but not ideal) supercharging rate.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just a quick update from my car. Rated range is now down to 209. I can't charge to 100% (9 out of 10 times it stops at 95-96%) I have to subtract another 9 miles. Since the software 'update' my car shut down 3 times before 0% (it never did this before) so I have to subtract another 5-10 miles safety at the bottom. That brings me down to 190-195 miles of rated range. Down from 270 when it was new. F***

Just a quick update from my car. Rated range is now down to 209. I can't charge to 100% (9 out of 10 times it stops at 95-96%) I have to subtract another 9 miles. Since the software 'update' my car shut down 3 times before 0% (it never did this before) so I have to subtract another 5-10 miles safety at the bottom. That brings me down to 190-195 miles of rated range. Down from 270 when it was new. F***
So, a NomFullPack value of 61.7 kWh? Only good news is you might be on your way to a "new" battery soon.

@Droschke, I hereby withdraw this statement - I tested twice, and saw the battery heater warm the pack from ~0C to ~20C. I'm not sure how long it took (I got distracted and didn't keep track of time), but it can definitely warm the pack to the point of getting a decent (but not ideal) supercharging rate.

Thanks for confirming. Did you get more than 32kW @60% SoC? That's what I get regardless.