Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are kind of freaking me out as to possible battery issues in my future. Should I be concerned? What are your thoughts?

Stop updating so Tesla can't cripple your car intentionally and enjoy its magnificence. There's nothing to worry about if it's running OK and the only worry you should have is from updates that might take that away from you. If you have any real problems that cause a failure, the warranty will cover you, and updates on an old 2015 will only make your car worse so keep it the same!

Reactions: kavyboy
I purchased it from a close friend who has ordered a 2020 Model S. It was close to 250 on a full charge. I appreciate your comments. Like I said, I do not mind the extra time for charging since I charge from home overnight. I also read the throttling or nerfing was to protect/preserve the battery. I just don't want to start having all kinds of issues and have to fight with Tesla over them. I will continue to follow this thread and keep up on the latest news regarding this issue. Again, thanks for your response, very helpful.

Stop updating so Tesla can't cripple your car intentionally and enjoy its magnificence. There's nothing to worry about if it's running OK and the only worry you should have is from updates that might take that away from you. If you have any real problems that cause a failure, the warranty will cover you, and updates on an old 2015 will only make your car worse so keep it the same!

It sounds like you can only keep from doing the updates for only so long before you are forced to. I really hope updates do not cause issues. It does run amazingly well, and I am not a hard driver. I like to take care of my vehicles, especially one like this. Thank you for the advice.

I purchased it from a close friend who has ordered a 2020 Model S. It was close to 250 on a full charge. I appreciate your comments. Like I said, I do not mind the extra time for charging since I charge from home overnight. I also read the throttling or nerfing was to protect/preserve the battery. I just don't want to start having all kinds of issues and have to fight with Tesla over them. I will continue to follow this thread and keep up on the latest news regarding this issue. Again, thanks for your response, very helpful.
Those with 85D can tell you better, but if it has 250 for 100% SOC at 33k miles, then you might have already gotten capped. The good news is, if it's true and you are ok with 250, then nothing to worry about at this time. Mine has been very stable since capping wrt max charge (read range), and it got capped at 23k, but it's a 70D.
One way to check for max without waiting for full charge is in the app, charging section, you can scroll charge limit to 100% and on the left side it will show how many miles that equals to.

I just recently purchased a 2015 Model S 85D with 32,000 miles on it. The car is beautiful and runs superbly. Super Charging does take about 30% longer, but I charge at home, so no real issues. You guys are kind of freaking me out as to possible battery issues in my future. Should I be concerned? What are your thoughts? I am still under warranty until 2023. Thanks.

If you use your car just for commute, it will be ok. If you go on trips, your car is almost useless.

Reactions: caps04
If you use your car just for commute, it will be ok. If you go on trips, your car is almost useless.

True.

Also, besides the slow charging speed issue if you have a capped car (batterygate impacted) it's very risky to go on any long trip since your battery is presumably ill and you might get the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" message anytime in the middle of nowhere.

So, here is
Screenshot_20200226-184213_Chrome.jpg
my new battery report!

Those with 85D can tell you better, but if it has 250 for 100% SOC at 33k miles, then you might have already gotten capped. The good news is, if it's true and you are ok with 250, then nothing to worry about at this time. Mine has been very stable since capping wrt max charge (read range), and it got capped at 23k, but it's a 70D.
One way to check for max without waiting for full charge is in the app, charging section, you can scroll charge limit to 100% and on the left side it will show how many miles that equals to.
Thank you so much. I will check that out.

Hey @faughtz , what year is your P85DL? I wasnt tracking with Fi previous to the may downgrade so mine looks much better. But I've lost quite a bit more since May than I had for the past 2 years. Will post later on.

Same here. I had pictures of fully charged range before capping, but it appears i deleted them.
Is there any other way to see the data before capping? i'm guessing no without asking Tesla to provide them, but maybe someone knows more. Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Keshk
Teslafi new battery report is very useful, mine compared to another S60 owner, with the same odometer range in the last 6 months has seen a range difference of 18 miles increasing to 24 miles!.. 6 months ago they where on 186 miles, mine 168, theirs is now 185 miles mine is 161 !.. clearly not suffering from batterygate, with acceptable degredation.

There are only 24 S60 on Teslafi, so not much data to compare against ! :(

Mine's at the SC right now for "Car needs service, may not restart" and "Acceleration and top speed reduced" errors. I was hoping for the magical "Battery charge level reduced" or whatever it is. Sounds like a battery heater issue. Probably out of warranty. Sinking more money into this car that is becoming less and less usable.

I did mention while there about the abysmal supercharging rates now, and got a relative shoulder shrug.

Sigh.

Just a follow-up. I thought it was going to be a common battery heater/cooler issue that I have seen others with these alerts. However after no updates they finally texted and said no diagnosis yet and they are involving engineering. Hmm.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this but...

I don't believe blanket statements like "your car is almost useless" are helpful to a new owner. @dfndr90's car will Supercharge slower than it did when it new (and I think many people here could quantify this). But no one except the owner can say whether that's acceptable or not.

Peace,

Bruce.

So you have over 270k miles and seem to have more than 70% of original 265 range available, even accounting for inability to get to 100%? right?

265 * .7 = 185 miles

A good data point.

I wonder if any other EVs provide > 70% of original range after > 250k miles.

You got to be joking, right? Did you see the battery report screen shots? It is not degradation.