Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's your comparison, but I agree with your "invalid" assessment and I'm glad you recognize why it's weird to hold Tesla up as a separate economy. That didn't really make as much sense as you probably thought it did at the time. Since "Tesla has no middle man dealers taking additional margin" their markups are actually even higher than I pointed out earlier. Great news for Tesla, people really love paying those even higher (as you point out) markups! Thank you.

Trade batteries with one of us!

Just an interesting observation for Chargegate.

My MX on latest firmware, whatever it is not looking right now.

I can arrive at the supercharger with battery temp about 33-34*F. NO Regen what so ever, and plug in, and get 10-20ish kW rate.
I can arrive at supercharger with about a 40*F battery temp, have 1-5 kW regen, plug in and instantly get 30-40kW rate.
Seems Tesla is treating Regen and Supercharging differently. MUCH differently. I'm also having it work the opposite direction! I could have 60-70kW REGEN rate, plug in to the supercharger and only get 20kW.

I took the car for service today. 85D, 2015, 65k miles, capped. I sent the service center a video 2 weeks ago, with maximum supercharging speed of 60KW at 29% at 40F. They supercharged today at the service center at 15%, still 60KW and the same temperature. I am waiting for the technical review now, which will be done remotely. Taking bets with myself if my battery is within acceptable limits, or if it needs to go down even more.

• Informative
Reactions: caps04
I took the car for service today. 85D, 2015, 65k miles, capped. I sent the service center a video 2 weeks ago, with maximum supercharging speed of 60KW at 29% at 40F. They supercharged today at the service center at 15%, still 60KW and the same temperature. I am waiting for the technical review now, which will be done remotely. Taking bets with myself if my battery is within acceptable limits, or if it needs to go down even more.
Tesla supposedly guarantees battery capacity within certain degradation limits with varying compliance. They make no guarantees about surcharging speed. You are about to be told that your battery is operating within normal limits.

Sadly my S85 is capped at 50kwh supercharging speed, making it basically a longer range Nissan Leaf since that's too slow to actually road trip anywhere beyond the capacity of the battery unless time means nothing to you.

Tesla supposedly guarantees battery capacity within certain degradation limits with varying compliance. They make no guarantees about surcharging speed. You are about to be told that your battery is operating within normal limits.

Sadly my S85 is capped at 50kwh supercharging speed, making it basically a longer range Nissan Leaf since that's too slow to actually road trip anywhere beyond the capacity of the battery unless time means nothing to you.
Never said it is about a warranty claim. If you buy a 100HP car and after 3.5 years it artifically goes down to 50HP, that is not covered by warranty terms either. My lawsuit will be for customer fraud, not warranty terms.

Hi guys- I was #batterygated last year; at the time I posted here and added my info the the spreadsheet. Seems like such a long time ago.To summarize, my 2014 P85D's max range went from 242 to 208 miles basically overnight.

I have good news. Like a few others here, I eventually received the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" error (after it only charged to 146 miles). I took it to the service center and they verified that they needed to replace the battery under warranty. This was on Feb 18. Today, March 4, I got my car back with a new battery, with max range restored back to 242.

Here is my new battery sticker, for the curious:
IMG_7573.JPG

I will find out tomorrow whether I am still #chargegated, as I'll be on a 600 mile road trip.

Nice try, not a valid comparison.
Tesla is not inflated when you factor in dealers.

Tesla has no middle man dealers taking additional "margin".
BMW lower margin is because the dealer takes a big chunk too.
Hi guys- I was #batterygated last year; at the time I posted here and added my info the the spreadsheet. Seems like such a long time ago.To summarize, my 2014 P85D's max range went from 242 to 208 miles basically overnight.

I have good news. Like a few others here, I eventually received the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" error (after it only charged to 146 miles). I took it to the service center and they verified that they needed to replace the battery under warranty. This was on Feb 18. Today, March 4, I got my car back with a new battery, with max range restored back to 242.

View attachment 517970

I will find out tomorrow whether I am still #chargegated, as I'll be on a 600 mile road trip.
V.good news
Sounds like new, not reman, battery. What is the new warranty.
Also, before you going on your trip. What the charge time 10 to 90% on the new battery. On trips, charge time often much more important than total miles.

View attachment 517970

Thanks for sharing. It's kind of a bummer that you didn't get one of the 89kwh packs. I was hoping they would become the standard replacement for warrantied 85kwh packs. Maybe because performance cars need 400v packs?

Last edited:
V.good news
Sounds like new, not reman, battery. What is the new warranty.
Also, before you going on your trip. What the charge time 10 to 90% on the new battery. On trips, charge time often much more important than total miles.

I didn't ask about the warranty- I assumed I would have the remaining years of the 8 year original warranty left.

I won't be checking the charge time before I start my trip. It's kind of a long story, but this happened while in the middle of a road trip, and I actually flew home and back after they recommended not trying to make it home with the Max Charge error. I'll be trickle charging on 110v tonight and then hitting superchargers along the trip home tomorrow. Will post my results after that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
Thanks for sharing. It's kind of a bummer that you didn't get one of the 89kwh packs. I was hoping they would become the standard replacement for warrantied 85kwh packs. Maybe because performance cars need 400v packs?

I suspect that's exactly the reason! To be honest, I'm not sure what I would have chosen had they offered me a choice of the longer range or the higher voltage for performance. I'm at the point where I think I'd value the range over the performance. I know a lot of people would not choose that though.

I'm Sorry Sir!
Your Battery is testing within normal limits and operating properly. No further action needs to be taken at this time, I'm going to go ahead and cancel the reaminder of your service visit.

According to this - via OTA's - you will soon receive a range "boost" ... so does that mean we get prior voltage capacity restored?

Tesla Deploying Range Boost Software to Model S, Model X - Tesla Motors Club

Oh wait - that's only if you go out & buy "new" ..... that is - until the engineers also decide your new ride is in jeopardy of costing Tesla a traction pack under warranty.

I suspect that's exactly the reason! To be honest, I'm not sure what I would have chosen had they offered me a choice of the longer range or the higher voltage for performance. I'm at the point where I think I'd value the range over the performance. I know a lot of people would not choose that though.
I am assuming your P85D does not have the Ludicrous upgrade or it might have received a 90 kWh pack.

Edit: removed “reman” comment as it has already been pointed out. Too slow.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Keshk