Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning on it. I've had to delay slightly, as I have a certain amount of service credits I don't want to disappear before I can fully use them. About $2500 left, so most likely going to upgrade my MX to MCU2, once thats done

I wonder how that will work since they say you have to buy the upgrade via the upgrades section of your Tesla app. Does it know about the credits or will it charge your card and you will have to have them refund it?

This #batterygate thing will not affect Tesla and they know it. That's why they are not doing anything about it.

This statement is laughably false, they are doing something, and perhaps it's not everything you'd demand, but they are absolutely working on this issue.

Tesla is releasing firmware updates, notifying owners with in-car prompts to bring for service and replace with a new or re-manufactured pack, and recently have attended to other elements of the longevity of the older Model S/X with MCU2 upgrade among many other initiatives within Tesla.

It was only 1 year ago you had posted on this site and bragged how much you supercharged and were seemingly delighted with your experience. Perhaps some balance is appropriate on this thread. May you mark this "funny" to down vote because I had the gall to call you out on your continued over-reliance on exaggeration and absolute statements.

It's not like there is a fundamental issue for old or re-manufactured packs.
Our 2013 Tesla S85 pack is 97% original capacity after 7 years and 140000 km.
The pack (and it's cells) are holding up exceedingly well.
After 570 pages of this thread, you'd think all old packs are doomed, but that is not statistically the case, and not by a long shot.
How do we know if 10% or 90% were affected? And how many were affected and do not know about it (it took me 5 months to figure out that something was wrong, simply because I hadn't supercharged for 5 months and didn't charge to 100%) or do not actually care to report it?
All that we that were affected care about, is that Tesla is actually telling us that we are actually not affected. If you think of it, the way Tesla handles this makes 0 sense apart from the case where we are looking at a potential massive recall related to the most expensive part of the car

Last edited:
After 570 pages of this thread, you'd think all old packs are doomed, but that is not statistically the case, and not by a long shot.

Unless you happen to work for Tesla, you are not in a position to make this claim. We know there is non-zero chance there is a problem based on both empirical and anecdotal data. How big a problem? Well only Tesla knows (and they may not know for sure) but they are taking fleet-wide actions (capping, HV diagnostics) and the number of people impacted seems to be growing, not flattening or dropping, so that would imply the scope is significant or at least not well understood.

Through your posts you keep telling us how well your car is doing. For that, I am happy for you. But your attitude comes across as "hey, I don't have a problem, so there must not really be a problem"--perhaps you intend to be dismissive and perhaps not, but that's how it reads.

You're in a thread with 570 pages of laser-focused dedication to a single issue, not a thread about the state of the union, and it's not surprising to anyone that people will discuss this thread's focus in this thread. Tesla's handling of this issue might make you feel like all old batteries are doomed, and Tesla might agree with you, but that's up to you to decide for yourself. Those of us impacted have been doomed for a year now. We're inside of Mount Doom right now, and we're looking for Tesla's contractually guaranteed way back out.

they are doing something, and perhaps it's not everything you'd demand, but they are absolutely working on this issue.

He's not wrong. they're doing criminal things, illegal things, and anti consumer things, so they are doing things.

It's not like there is a fundamental issue for old or re-manufactured packs.
Our 2013 Tesla S85 pack is 97% original capacity after 7 years and 140000 km.
The pack (and it's cells) are holding up exceedingly well.
You said: "Our 2013 Tesla S85 pack is 97% original capacity after 7 years and 140000 km."
The displayed range/capacity is at 97%? Or is that that the real achievable range? My 2016 90D still shows about 95% of full charge rated range. But the real, achievable range is 70% of that.

Removing the top of the battery case usually damages it. Maybe if you have some sort of thin hot wire or knife to slice cleanly through the adhesive. Plus a bunch of other issues once you actually get it open. Not impossible but you'd be better off just getting a complete pack from a salvaged vehicle.

Has anyone done this already. If the salvage car was pre v10 and the receiving car post v10, will the bms be overwritten by the car getting the salvage pack?

This statement is laughably false, they are doing something, and perhaps it's not everything you'd demand, but they are absolutely working on this issue.

Tesla is releasing firmware updates, notifying owners with in-car prompts to bring for service and replace with a new or re-manufactured pack, and recently have attended to other elements of the longevity of the older Model S/X with MCU2 upgrade among many other initiatives within Tesla.

It was only 1 year ago you had posted on this site and bragged how much you supercharged and were seemingly delighted with your experience. Perhaps some balance is appropriate on this thread. May you mark this "funny" to down vote because I had the gall to call you out on your continued over-reliance on exaggeration and absolute statements.
It is not laughably false. Recently a Tesla technician told me explicitly that unless the car is reporting a battery fault, they will not replace the battery. For any amount of degradation.

Unless you happen to work for Tesla, you are not in a position to make this claim. We know there is non-zero chance there is a problem based on both empirical and anecdotal data. How big a problem? Well only Tesla knows (and they may not know for sure) but they are taking fleet-wide actions (capping, HV diagnostics) and the number of people impacted seems to be growing, not flattening or dropping, so that would imply the scope is significant or at least not well understood.

Through your posts you keep telling us how well your car is doing. For that, I am happy for you. But your attitude comes across as "hey, I don't have a problem, so there must not really be a problem"--perhaps you intend to be dismissive and perhaps not, but that's how it reads.
"We" do have some data, third hand, from the "TezLab" folks who have data from a large number of Tesla owners. At TezLab you can see that on average, Model S owners have 70% "efficiency". Elsewhere you can find that their definition of "efficiency" is actual miles driven divided by rated miles counted/used. So if your cars full charge range shows 280 miles, the average real achievable range would be 196 miles. This fact that YMMV has the number 70% ought to be more honestly presented by Tesla and their sales folks. I was told that Rated Range was realistic and readily achievable. An honest admission that: "You will most likely get 70% of rated range" surely would have influenced my purchasing decision.

You kind of misquoted me here by only picking one line and answering in a way as if that was the only thing I said. My point was to explain why Tesla isn't going to be affected by the issue. What I meant is they are 'doing nothing' to fix the problem as they should. Sure they are doing 'something'.

I find it funny that you say they are releasing firmware updates as proof that Tesla is doing something. I don't even know how you can say that. These updates are exactly the thing that has crippled our cars and is the key point of the lawsuit. The batteries are failing and they are on an artificially limited mode to not fail in a dangerous way.

Laser focus? How about 300 pages of what degradation means to different people?
The first page has 80% of what has happened here. The rest of us, naive people, have spent the rest of the 570 pages trying to figure out the last 20%. You must have realized that all of us that are in here are not Tesla funboys anymore. Why are you posting here and what are you trying to say? If what we claim is correct, what do you believe Tesla should do about it?

The first page has 80% of what has happened here. The rest of us, naive people, have spent the rest of the 570 pages trying to figure out the last 20%. You must have realized that all of us that are in here are not Tesla funboys anymore. Why are you posting here and what are you trying to say? If what we claim is correct, what do you believe Tesla should do about it?
I'm trying to say this thread is too long because of too much argument and off topic remarks like these I just started. I'm not affected, still on v8 because I hate the new interface; but I'm very afraid it will eventually catch me too.
What do I think Tesla should do? Tell affected owners what they're doing and why, both regarding the software, and possible intentions towards a remedy, if any; rather than keep everyone in the dark. I like to think most of us owners are reasonable, and would accept an explanation that they are attempting to remedy this situation. Owners are instead being told their batteries are fine.

I'm trying to say this thread is too long because of too much argument and off topic remarks like these I just started. I'm not affected, still on v8 because I hate the new interface; but I'm very afraid it will eventually catch me too.
What do I think Tesla should do? Tell affected owners what they're doing and why, both regarding the software, and possible intentions towards a remedy, if any; rather than keep everyone in the dark. I like to think most of us owners are reasonable, and would accept an explanation that they are attempting to remedy this situation. Owners are instead being told their batteries are fine.
I honestly disagree. There can be no remedy. This is Tesla's fault, not mine. I will not take one for the team. Instead I will also be looking for compensation for the fact that Tesla has been forcing me to live with an inferior and potentially dangerous product for 9 months now. I would not do that if they were more transparent. But based on their reaction, mercy is not in my intentions any longer