Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update on my battery replacement from a few pages back. After completing my 670 mile road trip and supercharging seven times, I can safely say I have no improvement in supercharging speed. In comparing my TeslaFi data along the same chargers along the same route, there is no appreciable difference. Looks like no cure for #chargegate in my case.

I wish I had TeslaFi back in 2015! I am certain I spent a lot less time charging along this particular route (CT to NC), but I don't have the data to back that up.

Quick update on my battery replacement from a few pages back. After completing my 670 mile road trip and supercharging seven times, I can safely say I have no improvement in supercharging speed. In comparing my TeslaFi data along the same chargers along the same route, there is no appreciable difference. Looks like no cure for #chargegate in my case.

I wish I had TeslaFi back in 2015! I am certain I spent a lot less time charging along this particular route (CT to NC), but I don't have the data to back that up.
Oh my goodness...

There is probably 100 pages of insults and bickering here, which we are all guilty of contributing to.
There should be 1000 of shameful swearing if you ask me. No need to try to try to blame it on us. This is cheap mass control techniques 101 (when you are the one to blame, make them fight one another). Blame Tesla instead for the existence of this entire thread.

@SmartElectric
Brother you clearly seem to have an agenda here. Why do you constantly defend Tesla on this matter?
You are not affected by any of this or at least you'll make it sound like this. So your input here is of absolutely no value.
People here have severe problems and have any right to vent since Tesla is not communicating at all. This is a thread about battery and charging issues introduced with firmware 2019.16.1.1 and manifested with the ones thereafter.
I would be happy if you would stay out of this thread
Who is this SmartElectric you speak of? There is a vague memory I have of someone who was continually posting, imo, noise in what I believe was more a disinformation campaign than useful.
I do remember there’s an option to ignore people who don’t add substance to a thread. Just click on their profile name and click on ignore:
F05B16F8-4836-4C79-9EEF-9E6AE4F2A1A4.jpeg

I also notice that I have a 100 or so less pages, and lots of gaps in the thread post number sequence...

It’s disappointing to have to do and I don’t do this for many, though I have a special place for those who I believe are not helpful to progressing a productive discussion or debate. Once someone meets my threshold, I ignore them. I’ll revisit occasionally their post via their profile and unignore when their posts have some semblance of objectivity and respectful of others’ viewpoints.

Last edited:
Laser focus? How about 300 pages of what degradation means to different people?
It's always the same person bringing up that red herring over and over and they do it intentionally. Block people like that and your world will improve - there will always people looking to provoke for fun or profit, and the best way to handle them is to never give them any of the attention they're begging for.

And even the people trying to make people fight each other to distract everyone here are still focused on excusing Tesla's intentional software capping that led to "sudden loss of range" that is the reason we are all here discussing this topic. Even the disagreeables and agents provocateur are hyper-focused on that point, though for different reasons than owners infcted by Tesla's virus OTA come here to discuss.

Last edited:

So, it looks like if Tesla replaces a defective 85kWh battery with a remanufactured 85kWh battery, the Supercharge rate does not improve. Can we infer from this that the original 85kWh packs had some sort of issue with inter alia, the BMS and the cell chemistry if charging rates exceeded a certain threshold? Accordingly Tesla will continue to throttle Supercharging speeds for the original 85kWh battery configuration.

Sometimes complying with the letter of the law does not necessarily mean that the spirit of the law is considered. This is disappointing.

Yes. Since their remans are flawed and gimped as much as old batteries, the safe assumption is the battery itself is inherently flawed and the gimping was put in place to stop fires. Since Tesla said the changes to charge and BMS were responses to fires and didn't actually recall or fix any the only reasonable deduction is all old batteries need to be replaced.

Yes. Since their remans are flawed and gimped as much as old batteries, the safe assumption is the battery itself is inherently flawed and the gimping was put in place to stop fires. Since Tesla said the changes to charge and BMS were responses to fires and didn't actually recall or fix any the only reasonable deduction is all old batteries need to be replaced.
Somewhere back a few hundred postings, someone posted that their replacement battery was still chargegate'd. When they bitched to Tesla, the cap was removed and supercharging returned to pre-chargegate levels. I don't recall precisely, but I think this was a 16 module, 400V battery, not the mysterious 14 module, 350V battery.

Maybe they'll see this and correct me. I'm not digging through a month of posts to try and find it.

Somewhere back a few hundred postings, someone posted that their replacement battery was still chargegate'd. When they bitched to Tesla, the cap was removed and supercharging returned to pre-chargegate levels. I don't recall precisely, but I think this was a 16 module, 400V battery, not the mysterious 14 module, 350V battery.

Maybe they'll see this and correct me. I'm not digging through a month of posts to try and find it.

I would like to see that too. It's possible that my reman battery is capable of higher speed charging but my car has been flagged for lower speed.

I'll send a message to the service center and see what they come back with.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce

I read all messags. I dont remember EVER any one replaced a battery and reported restored charging time

I have a 2015 70d with a reman pack from last June, part number leads me to believe that its a v3. I am still charge throttled.

1069504-01-E

I have a 2015 70d with a reman pack from last June, part number leads me to believe that its a v3. I am still charge throttled.

1069504-01-E
On my 70D I got my battery replaced august '17 - with the above part number. An even the battery only had driven 70.000km in may '19 - and not much Super charging done in this battery - I also got reduced SuC speed with 2019.20.1

I'm curious, for those of you who had your batteries replaced, when you got the new batteries, had the status been reset so that the battery odometer was effectively zero after it was installed, along with the charging statistics for AC and DC charging, or were they notably non-zero?

I'm curious, for those of you who had your batteries replaced, when you got the new batteries, had the status been reset so that the battery odometer was effectively zero after it was installed, along with the charging statistics for AC and DC charging, or were they notably non-zero?
The can-bus data I can read looks like a battery that has been used for the entire 175.000km the car has driven - not the 95.000km I have driven the reman. battery

Last edited: