Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2497D4D6-F773-4922-A9FA-426189870C6E.jpeg

Did you pay that $195?
We did not pay the $195 when we picked the car up.

What amazes me is that the Service Reps appear to have been instructed to accept your description of the problem in a neutral manner without saying anything substantive or reassuring in reply. The Service Rep was quite patient and remained steadfast in both his politeness and unwillingness to say anything substantive, despite my obvious frustration with the functioning of the car.

The Techs then undertake a “diagnosis” unrelated to the identified issue and provide a boilerplate condescending response.

It would appear that uncapped batteries at 100% have a Vmax of 4.18V (2% down from 4.2V), this is from a 2017 Model S75 with around 30k miles. Looking at usable capacity, this is now 70.9kWh, which is 2% down from its official usable capacity of 72.5kWh. Without getting a spread of data, Tesla could have reduced ALL unaffected batteries by 2%, which many owners wouldn't notice.
For what population? What is the source of data?

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
For what population? What is the source of data?
even the new 2020 Raven has a 2% battery cap....typically a new Model S s/b at 373 miles at 100%....but with a capped battery at 98% you get 365 miles available......and at 90% you have 335 miles.....but I am only getting 323 miles at 90% with a capped battery......so I think the only way we will get a range increase is to get the hardware upgrade when it becomes available....but you must have the type “F” battery

even the new 2020 Raven has a 2% battery cap....typically a new Model S s/b at 373 miles at 100%....but with a capped battery at 98% you get 365 miles available......and at 90% you have 335 miles.....but I am only getting 323 miles at 90% with a capped battery......so I think the only way we will get a range increase is to get the hardware upgrade when it becomes available....but you must have the type “F” battery

You are saying if you buy a 2020 Raven today you can't charge it to 100%?

And, what's that hardware upgrade you are referring to?

You are saying if you buy a 2020 Raven today you can't charge it to 100%?

And, what's that hardware upgrade you are referring to?

what I’m saying is that my new 2020 Model S Raven (17 Jan 2020 date of mfg and 31 Jan 2020 delivery date) is capped at 98% of the batteries capacity (100%) and will only charge to 98% ...it may show100% but if you do the calculations, you will find out what your truck battery capacity is

PROCESS:

multiple the projected range by the average range shown on the consumption screen in the energy tab......then divide that by the percentage of battery energy you have left....then divide that by 1000....then you see what your battery capacity is

EXAMPLE

190 projected range x 202 average range = 38380........38380 / .39 = 98410.26........98410.26 / 1000 = 98.41kW

39% (.39) is the battery SOC

the hardware is something that Tesla told me that might be offered as a hardware upgrade to increase the range and that I would have to pay for it.....thats about all I now know because they would not expand on it or even say what is was or when it may come to fruition....I do know I have the “F” type battery though.....and you may have to have that in order to get OTA range updates....

hope this helps

BTW:

those are the current numbers on my cars consumption page and battery SOC

you did mean 2020, correct

EDIT: Model S cars made sometime after 1 Jan 2020 and designated as LR+ will probably get range updates because they were sold with 390 miles....mine was rated at 370 miles.....Tesla cuts in changes anytime they want.....some are lucky and get it and some are not.

Last edited:
what I’m saying is that my new 2020 Model S Raven (17 Jan 2020 date of mfg and 31 Jan 2020 delivery date) is capped at 98% of the batteries capacity (100%) and will only charge to 98% ...it may show100% but if you do the calculations, you will find out what your truck battery capacity is

PROCESS:

multiple the projected range by the average range shown on the consumption screen in the energy tab......then divide that by the percentage of battery energy you have left....then divide that by 1000....then you see what your battery capacity is

EXAMPLE

190 projected range x 202 average range = 38380........38380 / .39 = 98410.26........98410.26 / 1000 = 98.41kW

the hardware is something that Tesla told me that might be offered as a hardware upgrade to increase the range and that I would have to pay for it.....thats about all I now know because they would not expand on it or even say what is was or when it may come to fruition....I do know I have the “F” type battery though.....and you may have to have that in order to get OTA range updates....

hope this helps

BTW:

EDIT: Model S cars made sometime after 1 Jan 2020 and designated as LR+ will probably get range updates because they were sold with 390 miles....mine was rated at 370 miles.....Tesla cuts in changes anytime they want.....some are lucky and get it and some are not.
Could be buyers should pay a bit more attention to the EPA numbers and less to the Tesla hype.

Reactions: Droschke

"Shop supercharger" seems to be programmed as a ringer to give false high readings. They did the same to me and it's the only fast supercharger I've used in a year.

Comcast and a few other ISPs of I'll repute that operate like Tesla used to do the same thing with speed test websites, uncorking their test pages so throttles were harder to prove in court.

• Informative
Reactions: tinm and Droschke
EXAMPLE

hope this helps

BTW:

That 98.41 kWh value does not mean you are voltage capped. You would need to read your voltages to verify that. It is unlikely Tesla would voltage cap a new car.
Most cases I have seen do not get the 373 rated miles on the new cars, usually around 360 or so, and now supposedly the range is 390 miles.

That 98.41 kWh value does not mean you are voltage capped. You would need to read your voltages to verify that. It is unlikely Tesla would voltage cap a new car.
Most cases I have seen do not get the 373 rated miles on the new cars, usually around 360 or so, and now supposedly the range is 390 miles.
all I know is that my new car is capped as told to me by Tesla.....whether the voltage is capped or not, all I can tell you is the charge points and values I have obtained are not equal to advertised ranges to 373 or the new 390......if it is a good idea not to charge to 100%, and you charge to 90%, you should see around 365 not 322......to me that is not right.

bottom line is we are not able to fully charge to 100% or 90% and we should be told by Tesla that and mileage range will not be as advertised.....

Reading this service response makes me so mad. The ****ing issue is that it only charges at 40 kW.
That is ridiculous. I'll be bringing my car into service for several things under full bumper to bumper warranty next week. Let's see how they try to weasel their way out of fixing my car this time. My memory linked mirrors have never worked properly (in the 3 years i've owned the car). I'll be bringing it in for that again. I'll also bring up that the supercharging estimate on the screen significantly deviates from actual supercharging time.

That is ridiculous. I'll be bringing my car into service for several things under full bumper to bumper warranty next week. Let's see how they try to weasel their way out of fixing my car this time. My memory linked mirrors have never worked properly (in the 3 years i've owned the car). I'll be bringing it in for that again. I'll also bring up that the supercharging estimate on the screen significantly deviates from actual supercharging time.
Kinda guessing some of this stuff that's software related wont be covered under warranty and they may try to get you to pay a diagnostic/labor fee. They did that for my mom for her 1+ year old model 3 with homelink and voice command problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
Not much guidance from Tesla in this FAQ that would explain why it now takes 50 minutes at a SuperCharger in order for me to get the 48kwh of power required to drive for two hours (80 mph at 300 watts per mile): Supercharging

Does Supercharging affect my battery?
The peak-charging rate of the battery may decrease slightly after a large number of high-rate charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers. To ensure maximum driving range and battery safety, the battery charge rate is decreased when the battery is too cold, when it is nearly full or when its condition changes with usage and age. These changes in the condition of the battery may increase total Supercharger time by a few minutes over time.