Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt that v. much. Even though, tesla might be able to make charging location-dependent, all people here who are charge gated reported that they now spend on trips hours more than they were accustomed to due to extended charging time.

I hear you. That's why I waited 3 months and tested it over and over. My car is still able to charge faster than those 40-some kW. Yet only at night it will be charging that slow. During the day it will charge faster all the time.

But maybe it is something else that just happens to trigger that extra slow charge rate and it just happens always at night because of my daily routine. One way or another, it's 1/3 of what it was originally.

I hear you. That's why I waited 3 months and tested it over and over. My car is still able to charge faster than those 40-some kW. Yet only at night it will be charging that slow. During the day it will charge faster all the time.

But maybe it is something else that just happens to trigger that extra slow charge rate and it just happens always at night because of my daily routine. One way or another, it's 1/3 of what it was originally.
FWIW, I didn't notice any particular difference between day and night. The only thing I noticed was that last spring it charged at 120 kW and now never charges higher than 80 kW (five different SCs and the same five). Service Centre says that replacing the battery won't help the charge rate. So I can't wait two or three years for the Cybertruck the way I originally planned. Ordered an X.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
FWIW, I didn't notice any particular difference between day and night. The only thing I noticed was that last spring it charged at 120 kW and now never charges higher than 80 kW (five different SCs and the same five). Service Centre says that replacing the battery won't help the charge rate. So I can't wait two or three years for the Cybertruck the way I originally planned. Ordered an X.

They're letting more more cats out of the bag

That's rather odd if others with this same size battery are experiencing faster charge rates. Or is it possible all batteries this size are charged limited this slow? If so, why aren't we hearing even more complaints?

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
My final update for my 2014 Model S 530.000 km.
I returned from Vienna where they replaced the battery. This is the battery serial. Looks like it is a 2015 Reman. If you have additional info please let me know.
The battery appears to be healthy. When the car first got online I saw on the app ideal range on the cold battery 433 km.
After a while the ideal range dropped to 400km. Typical is 320 for 400 ideal. This is the range I had before the battery has died.
I have a cap on the voltage now. The cap is around 80% from all the available capacity. Correct me if I am wrong. I attached a picture with voltage at 100% at CHADEMO adapter. 394V charging complete and still charging at 30kw just before stop.
The warranty say that Tesla has to give me a battery with the same or better capacity. Looks like I got the same capacity. I discharged from 100 to almost 0% and I got 59.7kw.
The battery charges like new. I saw 100 kw at 30% and 40 kw charging speed at 90%. See the attached pictures.
Taking in to account the km of the car and that they let me use the same capacity I had before the error, I am OK with that. I would like to have it all, but I understand that they try to make sure this is the last battery they change for me in warranty. Limited to 80% I am sure the battery will go a long way.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Chargin 89.jpg
    Chargin 89.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Charging 100.jpg
    Charging 100.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 113
  • SN.jpg
    SN.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 96
It's been 9 months since this thread started, and the FAQ in the first post hasn't been updated in 3 months. Does anyone have any actual news about the lawsuit and current mediation with Tesla? I'm getting the distinct impression that there will be no resolution to this matter during my ownership.

It's been 9 months since this thread started, and the FAQ in the first post hasn't been updated in 3 months. Does anyone have any actual news about the lawsuit and current mediation with Tesla? I'm getting the distinct impression that there will be no resolution to this matter during my ownership.

The most recent news is that mediation is currently scheduled to end by March 31st. At which point we should find out if they came to some kind of agreement or if the law suit will continue. (Though they have extended the mediation once, so they could extend it again.)

But if there is no agreement that comes mediation I wouldn't expect a resolution for quite some time, these things don't normally move quickly. Just look at other class actions to see how long they took to get to the end, for example the tuna fish one, or the Experian one. (Oh wait, the Experian one still hasn't finished up yet...)

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: raphy3 and bhzmark
Courts set time limits, Tesla requests extensions, repeat. Tesla is delaying on purpose; it's very likely they knew at the beginning that all batteries were affected and all would be capped eventually unless they designed a new battery that doesn't have the defect any more and they hired one of the most expensive and high profile legal teams in the world to represent them for Batterygate, which is unusual for Tesla to put it mildly.

Not having any plan to address batterygate at the outset would explain their lack of a response and the anti-owner attitude they adopted from the beginning, as well new 350v 89kwh "85" replacement in testing now. If it gets eventually capped 10% it will still hold 265 miles of range, and that doesn't seem accidental to me. Nor does the 2020 warranty exclusion term changes that explicitly say they will software limit range as much as 30% even on brand new cars, along with the reduction in warranty coverage to 150k miles. Batterygate may not have a real fix and could just be an inherent limitation in Tesla (or all) car battery technology. Or at last that's how Tesla presents it with their responses, and since they don't talk we can only assume based on their actions that lead to these conclusions.

I think they were blindsided by all those fires last year, but came up with a quick fix they thought would be invisible. When they realized their mistake it was too late, and now they are scrambling to come up with ways to address the problem before legal responsibilities force their hand. Thus, delay delay delay and all the while they increase their warranty coverage reserves. If they weren't delaying, and had no actual fix, everybody would be ordered to get new batteries, and Tesla would have the same problem again in a few years when the new batteries started showing the same flaws.

Last edited:
My final update for my 2014 Model S 530.000 km.
I returned from Vienna where they replaced the battery. This is the battery serial. Looks like it is a 2015 Reman. If you have additional info please let me know.
The battery appears to be healthy. When the car first got online I saw on the app ideal range on the cold battery 433 km.
After a while the ideal range dropped to 400km. Typical is 320 for 400 ideal. This is the range I had before the battery has died.
I have a cap on the voltage now. The cap is around 80% from all the available capacity. Correct me if I am wrong. I attached a picture with voltage at 100% at CHADEMO adapter. 394V charging complete and still charging at 30kw just before stop.
The warranty say that Tesla has to give me a battery with the same or better capacity. Looks like I got the same capacity. I discharged from 100 to almost 0% and I got 59.7kw.
The battery charges like new. I saw 100 kw at 30% and 40 kw charging speed at 90%. See the attached pictures.
Taking in to account the km of the car and that they let me use the same capacity I had before the error, I am OK with that. I would like to have it all, but I understand that they try to make sure this is the last battery they change for me in warranty. Limited to 80% I am sure the battery will go a long way.
Hope this helps.

Hello Adrian,
I had the same issue after getting my battery exchanged. After some discussions with my SC and sending them the attached picture they have uncapped my battery to the typical 365km range. Good luck !

Attachments

• 20191001_230014.jpg
    20191001_230014.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 96
Somewhat off topic, but question: Why do these things (mediation and legal proceedings in general) take so long? Are there daily activities that one or more people are busy doing for that duration, or is it mainly scheduling and just waiting?

I do not practice law. This lawsuit asserts actual damage claims (tortious and non-tortious) and claims with various federal and state consumer protection laws regarding vehicle safety and warranty. Tesla reads the complaint and must respond. Of course, the easiest response is to agree and throw themselves upon the mercy of the plaintiff. We know that ain't gonna happen.

Instead, there are pretrial solutions to avoid trial. Mediation is one of them. So is arbitration.

The purpose of a trial is to get at the truth that is supported by facts. Getting to the truth is a time-consuming process. The plaintiff will ask questions of Tesla (interrogatories) to get answers and evidence that can be used at trial. These answers will also reveal the identities of key Tesla personnel who are or were involved with the battery design, testing, engineering, repair, and other relevant issues. Those individuals will then have to be interrogated by lawyers in depositions to answer specific questions about their personal knowledge of all the complaints in the lawsuit. All of this is called discovery. Just how much discovery Tesla wants to reveal is likely going to be a major sticking point for mediation and arbitration and even trial.

In addition to all this fact-finding, there is always pretrial litigation by both parties to be decided by the judge. Maybe Tesla refuses to answer questions or turn over emails. The plaintiff will sue to compel. The lawyers argue. The judge decides. Maybe Tesla thinks that six claims should be dismissed. The plaintiff refuses. The lawyers argue. The judge decides. Rinse and repeat.

All this posturing takes time--and in a case like this it could take a lot of time.

And sometimes, the decision by the trial judge in pretrial litigation gets appealed. This takes even more time.

Hello Adrian,
I had the same issue after getting my battery exchanged. After some discussions with my SC and sending them the attached picture they have uncapped my battery to the typical 365km range. Good luck !

Do you know whether your supercharging speed with the new battery was restored after they uncapped it (assuming it was previously slowed)? In my case, my range was restored but supercharging is still slow.

Do you know whether your supercharging speed with the new battery was restored after they uncapped it (assuming it was previously slowed)? In my case, my range was restored but supercharging is still slow.
No my supercharging is still slow. I am fighting with my SC to restore this also. My supercharging is not so worse than some are describing it here, but for long trips it is no pleasure. Hope to get this also improved over the time again.
By the way it will be nearly Impossible to really restore it fully, because before may Tesla charged with up to 4,3Volt per cell and now they really keep the 4.200 extremly precise.

• Informative
Reactions: Whiteblaze
Small Correction:
By the way it will be nearly Impossible to really restore it fully, because before May 2019 Tesla charged with up to 4,3Volt per cell and now they really keep the 4.200 extremly precise. So for me it is clear why it takes so extremly long for the last 10% SOC. My mistake, never made a screenshot with ScanMyTesla during charging short before reaching the 100% SOC. Maybe someone with firmware before May 2019 can do this ?

By the way, attached the pic of exchanged battery with still capped capacity and range restored after complaining.Screenshot_20200314-100116.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jaitch and Chaserr
No my supercharging is still slow. I am fighting with my SC to restore this also. My supercharging is not so worse than some are describing it here, but for long trips it is no pleasure. Hope to get this also improved over the time again.
By the way it will be nearly Impossible to really restore it fully, because before may Tesla charged with up to 4,3Volt per cell and now they really keep the 4.200 extremly precise.
Based on everything I've read here, your cells should never go above 4.2V. If you were getting to 4.3V then something was wrong with your pack.

Reactions: David99 and JRP3
I want to share what I noticed with the most recent sw update on my s85 2015. I updated this morning from 2019.40.2.1 to the new 2020.8.1. The typical range in the evening on the old sw version was 147km and after the update this afternoon 150km, Is this normal? Or did tesla change the consumption counter?

Based on everything I've read here, your cells should never go above 4.2V. If you were getting to 4.3V then something was wrong with your pack.
Only during charging it was up to 4.3V. Not after finishing the charging.
So, applying 4.3V to the cells to charge faster, but not exceeding an actual cell voltage of 4.2V was a normal pre-2019.16 practice?

Perhaps used batteries that are only at 4.18V or 4.19V aren’t “microcapped”, but just can’t reach 4.20V without being charged at a slightly higher voltage such as 4.225V due to their internal resistance?