Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't charge any further once a cell group hits 4.2V. All the groups are wired in series. The charge current flows through all of them. Once one is full, you're done. There's no way to continure to charge the other 95 cell groups without overcharging the fullest and risking fire.
Battery balancing - Wikipedia
All series connected lithium ion battery packs have it.

Took another picture of it closer per the request of another user on here. QR code links to this thread.

ACF4B8FF-DD3F-4075-969F-5239CCA9F3CE.jpeg

That is a brilliant move. If whoever did this is here, post the file. If not, we should do it ourselves and post these to every stall every time we supercharge. If the paper is completely stuck on by clear packing tape it should be perfectly weather proof and hard to remove.

Bravo!

frankly I could not give a crap about pRiVaTE prOpErTy. Get some letter sized sticker paper from amazon and go to town:

Attachments

• 500B5F44-9DC4-48B9-82D3-11C780F43FFE.jpeg
    500B5F44-9DC4-48B9-82D3-11C780F43FFE.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 73
I fully agree but as I said I remember some kind of pumping. Means, after reaching 4.200 in one cell you switch off and wait for some balancing and then you can do the next trial to get closer to 4.200V on all cells and not only on one. I mean like stage4 in figure1 of this article https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
I don’t know the specific way Tesla does it (though my understanding is that they use off the shelf chips so you can look at the data sheet). There is no need to stop charging when one cell hits 4.2v, you can have a circuit to shunt current around the cell that is full or on more advanced designs you can shunt current from the cell with the highest SoC to the one with the lowest SoC (this is more efficient but more complicated).

The original battery warranty expires on the owner's 8th anniversary some time this year. Are you saying the replacement battery will have a new 8 year warranty (doubtful), or that the replaced battery's warranty will expire with the original warranty before it has even been in the car one year? I think the 12 month repair warranty is what will be in effect.

Depends on local rules. Here in Denmark, a part replaced under warranty receives a new warranty with period equal to the original warranty period, but with a 3 year limit due to another Danish law regarding expirations. So here your replaced part will have a new 3 year warranty.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: First EV and Guy V
Depends on local rules. Here in Denmark, a part replaced under warranty receives a new warranty with period equal to the original warranty period, but with a 3 year limit due to another Danish law regarding expirations. So here your replaced part will have a new 3 year warranty.

Does it really work that way? The warranty is on the car, not the part, so if the car is repaired, even by replacing a part, wouldn't it keep the original warranty period? (However, if the car is replaced you would get a new warranty period.)

• Disagree
Reactions: First EV
Does it really work that way? The warranty is on the car, not the part, so if the car is repaired, even by replacing a part, wouldn't it keep the original warranty period? (However, if the car is replaced you would get a new warranty period.)

Nope, this is very clear because of cases in 2016-2018 where the 'ombudsmand' had to pull back and acknowledge the 3 year 'to old claim' limitation..At my cars 4 years warranty expires check, my local SC told me that my MCU (replaced under warranty at age 2,3 years) has warranty untill 6.3 years.

I'm pleased with that!

It's not like there is a fundamental issue for old or re-manufactured packs.
Our 2013 Tesla S85 pack is 97% original capacity after 7 years and 140000 km.
The pack (and it's cells) are holding up exceedingly well.
After 570 pages of this thread, you'd think all old packs are doomed, but that is not statistically the case, and not by a long shot.

MeToo!

My S 70D October 2015 is A-okay, only unwanted 'degradation' is the 10-15% slower Super Charging.

As an Electronics Engineer, I always wondered how Tesla could expect that boosted charging up to 1.5C would NOT effect longevity and degradation of their super high capacity cells. I would rather SUC at a maximum of 90kW and retain capacity and ability, than super charge with 120kW and degrade my battery in no time.

If Tesla had set the expectations right and informed that super charging is not for free degradation wise . . . . . .

MeToo!

My S 70D October 2015 is A-okay, only unwanted 'degradation' is the 10-15% slower Super Charging.

As an Electronics Engineer, I always wondered how Tesla could expect that boosted charging up to 1.5C would NOT effect longevity and degradation of their super high capacity cells. I would rather SUC at a maximum of 90kW and retain capacity and ability, than super charge with 120kW and degrade my battery in no time.

If Tesla had set the expectations right and informed that super charging is not for free degradation wise . . . . . .
Same stats for my car: S70, 2015, no degradation, about 20% slower supercharging.
In case anyone from Tesla is listening in, I'd love a "Turbo charge" option for supercharging that lets me charge at a higher rate on some occasions. For example, let's say I'm in Mobile Alabama late at night and I'm tired and just want to move on and NOT spend extra time in a dark deserted scary parking lot tethered to charger that won't allow me to put the car in drive. Let me get moving along at the expense of more rapid degradation just this one time. You can put a counter on the amount I've charged at high rates. Play an annoying alert while charging at higher rates... anything. Just give me my speed back when I NEED it.

In case anyone from Tesla is listening in, I'd love a "Turbo charge" option for supercharging that lets me charge at a higher rate on some occasions.
I remember people asking for the ability to slow down supercharging years ago. If faster rates are damaging batteries and/or causing fires, Tesla should have listened to them instead of just removing the option and planning to take away faster rates from everyone else in a few years. If a "Turbo" button had Ludicrous' "I want my mommy" message alerting of increased battery wear, across the board downgrades probably wouldn't have happened. I mean, look at how many apologists are still trying to say the slowed speeds and shrunk batteries are great for them... they wouldn't have ever used faster charging or range or the turbo button.