Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the most important issues, IMHO, is that Tesla never disclosed to me at the time of purchase, or anywhere in its marketing materials, that performance and charging speed will reduce over time. I understood that range would drop because batteries lose capacity over time, but I did not think that my performance or supercharging speed would be noticeably impacted. Those who are technically minded and who understand how batteries work probably knew and understood this, but I am not one of those people.

Today, Tesla offers some of those disclaimers. It did not to me and many tens of thousands of owners, even though it knew full well that performance and charging speed would drop over time. Above 80% SOC my car won't go above 75A on my 80A wall charger. It used to maintain 80A until 90% until an update in the last two weeks. I believe 2020.8.1.1 brought this significantly reduced AC charging speed to my 2013 P85.

Similarly, I have thought about bringing this performance topic up at the SC. It took me over 17 hours to complete a non-stop trip from Detroit, MI to Atlanta, GA. I only gave myself about an 8-2 mile cushion between charges to reduce charge times. Slammed 128 kW in the pack at extremely low SoC. Quickly tapers off to 55 kW before reaching to 40%.

At 56K miles I purchased my CPO MSP85D'15 it typically SuC around 90kW. I'm pretty sure this pack (1031043-00-E) could reach +120 kW SuC new. I expect this pack was significantly degraded and the previous owner traded it in. If I would have known to test SuC speeds and glanced at the pack with ScanMyTesla before paying for the car I would have made them replace the pack before purchase.

I'm going to have to read the purchase agreement to see whether anything is mentioned about previous battery degradation. If Tesla can see the charging history of the vehicle, and the battery never reached 120 kW rates before 05/2019 then that should indicate there was something wrong with the battery from the get-go.

Anyone with ScanMyTesla access and an unaffected battery share the battery pack cycles? I'm at over 700.

Reactions: Chaserr
If Tesla tries that argument, we win. And once we win, Tesla wins - they will finally begin to mend the chasm their anti-consumer policies are creating which is necessary for the company to have a future.
Or not. Apple has been screwing customers for years with similar tactics. People keep buying anyway. I know some of you think Tesla will learn some sort of lesson if they lose this case but without massive fines from NHTSA they'll probably just do some settlement and sweep it under the rug.

Update on the class action: They have asked for the case to be stayed until 5/29. The mediation that was scheduled for April 14th, 2020 has been rescheduled to May 27th, 2020 due to COVID-19.

I don't understand why they had a 4/14 mediation scheduled when the last filing only stayed the case until 3/31... So it seems they were going to extend the mediation process even before COVID-19.

Update on the class action: They have asked for the case to be stayed until 5/29. The mediation that was scheduled for April 14th, 2020 has been rescheduled to May 27th, 2020 due to COVID-19.

I don't understand why they had a 4/14 mediation scheduled when the last filing only stayed the case until 3/31... So it seems they were going to extend the mediation process even before COVID-19.
Are all of these extensions normal? I feel like the attorneys are being a bit too nice. I understand the situation; however, you would think most of the work would have been completed by now -- if anything was going to happen...

Are all of these extensions normal? I feel like the attorneys are being a bit too nice. I understand the situation; however, you would think most of the work would have been completed by now -- if anything was going to happen...

I think extension are common, but I would assume that both parties only agree to them if they both think progress is being made. (Either party can back out and end the extension at any time.)

The other thing mentioned in the filing is that they have come to an agreement on a date by which Tesla will provide some information. (That is probably subject to the recent protection agreement, so we will likely never get to see it.) So they are still working on getting all of the information they feel is necessary to have a productive mediation session. (So part of the delay could be from the time it takes Tesla to gather the requested information, which likely overlaps with what NHTSA has requested.)

Or not. Apple has been screwing customers for years with similar tactics. People keep buying anyway. I know some of you think Tesla will learn some sort of lesson if they lose this case but without massive fines from NHTSA they'll probably just do some settlement and sweep it under the rug.
I'm actually hoping they get the Mercedes treatment from the NHTSA. Slap-on-the-wrist fines, but years of personal auditing working side by side with the NHTSA to train them how to do it right. We don't want them to write a check and keep on, we want them to learn.

NHTSA Announces Mercedes Benz USA Settlement Agreement

Best possible outcome. Tesla should beg for this - we are made whole and they aren't fined so much it hurts our recall opportunities or the company's growth.

I got this email this morning:
Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 10.11.35 AM.png

It's clear to me now that they couldn't force they update on my car like they did with others.

t's clear to me now that they couldn't force they update on my car like they did with others.
They can remote to your car and do it manually. They aren't doing it any more because part of the class action's name several illegal hacking crimes Tesla committed, which as defined in California law include "unauthorized access" et cetera that is essentially legal textbook descriptive of them remotely force-updating you unwanted downgrades without your permission. This is trying to scare you into doing it yourself so they don't get into any more trouble.

They can remote to your car and do it manually. They aren't doing it any more because part of the class action's name several illegal hacking crimes Tesla committed, which as defined in California law include "unauthorized access" et cetera that is essentially legal textbook descriptive of them remotely force-updating you unwanted downgrades without your permission. This is trying to scare you into doing it yourself so they don't get into any more trouble.

Cool. I guess I'll go re-install my rear door handle fuse.....although leaving that out has saved me at least a thousand wear and tear cycles on those two rear handles :rolleyes:

today is the first chance I have had to charge my 2020 MS with the silent range upgrade....over the past two months, I have only had a Max Range of 361......the graft now shows a jump to 388.9.......

My indicated range in the car shows 350.9 when charge at 90%........the math shows me that at 100% I should get 391 miles.......at 98% I should get 383.......383 is the best I can get because the battery is capped at 98%.........so if I charge to 90% I get 351 miles....

Botton line for me is that my newly upgraded MS to MS Long Range Plus will get 391 miles as advertised........still dont like the capping but if it saves battery life, I haven complaints......

One thing I have noticed is that when I go to the Irvine supercharger, I am limited mostly to about 71-75 kW charging.....it took about 1 hour to charge today......I guess this is also a battery saving issues, but will make trips a little longer......Question: if I supercharger offers at 71-75kw, will I be running the risk of hurting my battery?

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 12.20.10 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
today is the first chance I have had to charge my 2020 MS with the silent range upgrade....over the past two months, I have only had a Max Range of 361......the graft now shows a jump to 388.9.......

My indicated range in the car shows 350.9 when charge at 90%........the math shows me that at 100% I should get 391 miles.......at 98% I should get 383.......383 is the best I can get because the battery is capped at 98%.........so if I charge to 90% I get 351 miles....

Botton line for me is that my newly upgraded MS to MS Long Range Plus will get 391 miles as advertised........still dont like the capping but if it saves battery life, I haven complaints......

One thing I have noticed is that when I go to the Irvine supercharger, I am limited mostly to about 71-75 kW charging.....it took about 1 hour to charge today......I guess this is also a battery saving issues, but will make trips a little longer......Question: if I supercharger offers at 71-75kw, will I be running the risk of hurting my battery?

View attachment 528356
I believe that is a Urban Supercharger, which are capped to a maximum rate of 74kW. Can someone else confirm this?

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike and bhzmark