Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that the Battery management system keeps track of how much power is added via supercharging (aka DC charging) vs charging at home on a wall connector (aka AC charging). In principle this should not matter but my supercharging rates have been significantly reduced due to the fact that the previous own of my MSP85D'15 supercharging a lot. That and getting kneecapped by the update named in the discussion title.
Sorka's post #115 shows 4046kWh added supercharging in his 91K mile MS vs 23058kWh added on AC. Which is probably why his pack is so beautifully balanced
Here are my scans from V8. Still showing 4 kWh in reserve. What is this showing for others?

The TM-SPY capture shows 4 volts at 81.6% which is displayed as 80% on my dash.

I will log these every week so that I have solid proof if I get V9 (without my consent) and have to proof that they locked out capacity right after the update. It sounds like the software is doing this in steps to make it appear that it isn't an instant change tied to one software update. Also, if it's more gradual over a few weeks, owners could be convinced more easily that it's degradation.

Now what I'd like to believe is that this is a REALLY bad bug and that what the service center rep from the Bay Area area code is simply wrong about Tesla doing this intentionally.

i-spmhS9S-X3.jpg

i-XP3sVB9-X3.jpg

Keep in mind that the Battery management system keeps track of how much power is added via supercharging (aka DC charging) vs charging at home on a wall connector (aka AC charging). In principle this should not matter but my supercharging rates have been significantly reduced due to the fact that the previous own of my MSP85D'15 supercharging a lot. That and getting kneecapped by the update named in the discussion title.
Sorka's post #115 shows 4046kWh added supercharging in his 91K mile MS vs 23058kWh added on AC. Which is probably why his pack is so beautifully balanced

Yet I'd be shocked that once I goto V10 from V8 if my supercharging speed isn't also cut off at the knees. I have 1 month from today to update without losing connectivity.

I will definitely do one last charge from 5% to 60% and get that logged before doing the update as well as max power, power band, capacity, etc before updating.

I've got 114K miles now since that post with 91K miles on it.

Yet I'd be shocked that once I goto V10 from V8 if my supercharging speed isn't also cut off at the knees. I have 1 month from today to update without losing connectivity.

I will definitely do one last charge from 5% to 60% and get that logged before doing the update as well as max power, power band, capacity, etc before updating.

I've got 114K miles now since that post with 91K miles on it.

Sorka, what model battery pack are your rocking?

Dont be confused. There is nothing called urban superchargers. There are superchargers and there are urban chargers. Two different animals.

Wrong, Tesla refers to them as "Superchargers in urban areas". They are still Superchargers. And the general public has shortened "Superchargers in urban areas" to "Urban Superchargers" which makes more sense. (Especially because not every Supercharger in an urban area is a "Urban Supercharger" limited to 72kW.)

And they are listed as Superchargers on the map on Tesla's site, just with information like this: "10 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 72kW"

Wrong, Tesla refers to them as "Superchargers in urban areas". They are still Superchargers. And the general public has shortened "Superchargers in urban areas" to "Urban Superchargers" which makes more sense. (Especially because not every Supercharger in an urban area is a "Urban Supercharger" limited to 72kW.)

And they are listed as Superchargers on the map on Tesla's site, just with information like this: "10 Superchargers, available 24/7, up to 72kW"
That is wrong. There is nothing called urban superchargers by Tesla. What you call "general public" is your take. Who gave you the authority to say what the general public say? Misleading, to say the least.

On navigation and Tesla map, there is nothing says that one supercharger is more powerful than any other supercharger. What the 72kw you referring to just saying it is a supercharger, as other chargers like urban chargers dont deliver that

That is wrong. There is nothing called urban superchargers by Tesla. What you call "general public" is your take. Who gave you the authority to say what the general public say? Misleading, to say the least.

I didn't make it up, that is what people, including this site and the media, call them. Here are some examples:

Urban Supercharger - Downtown - Seattle, WA
Tesla Urban Supercharger: Compact 72 kW Stations Designed For City Centers
Tesla's Urban Supercharger can be wall-mounted and installed virtually anywhere
Tesla unveils new 'urban' Supercharger with a slower dedicated charge rate - Electrek
A look inside Tesla's new 'Urban Supercharger' - Electrek
Tesla Urban Supercharger - Los Gatos, CA
Tesla urban Superchargers bring high-speed charging to cities
Tesla Installs Urban Supercharger In The Big Apple
Tesla Releases Urban Supercharger For People In Units

On navigation and Tesla map, there is nothing says that one supercharger is more powerful than any other supercharger.

Wrong again. There are 72kw "Urban Superchargers", 90 kW V1 Superchargers (There might not be any more of these around), 120 kW V2 Superchargers, 150kW V2 Superchargers, and 250kW V3 Superchargers. The Tesla site, and map in the car, tell you what the maximum charge rate for a given site is.

• Disagree
Reactions: Guy V and Keshk
Why don't you enable the function in the vehicle settings to only present the driver's door handle?

Is that a function? I thought it presented all 4 and only unlocks the driver when you turn on that security function.

Settling the "Urbans aren't superchargers" debate, according to Tesla they are Superchargers. Here they are on Tesla's own official Supercharger website straight from the horse's mouth: Supercharger | Tesla
Superchargers in Urban Areas
Tesla is installing Superchargers in urban areas where city dwellers and out of town visitors can easily charge. These stations are placed at convenient locations like grocery stores, downtown districts, and shopping centers so charging fits seamlessly into your life.

Right next to that description of Urban Superchargers there is a photo of the smaller Urban design.

Thanks for posting that. Tesla never called that an urban supercharger.

What is an urban for someone is likely to be non-urban or suburban for someone else who is living or driving by not very far away

Basically, supercharging is Tesla’s brand of DC-Fast charging they have created as a brand specific network to charge Tesla Motor’s battery packs with direct current or DC. All electric vehicles are ultimately charged with DC but the means of traversing energy beyond the outer surface of the vehicle are different. A “Tesla Wall Connector” which can also be calls a “Destination Charger” introduces energy past the charger port as alternating current or AC ideally at 250V. This energy is in turn used to power an on board DC battery charger below the rear seat of the car or in the model X near the charge port. That onboard charger converts AC to DC energy at a much lower rate than is capable with a supercharger.
What is a supercharger? A supercharger is a stack of those under-the-seat AC to DC on board chargers that are connected in a series so that the voltages are added together to produce a cumulative DC voltage that can rapidly charge a large Tesla battery pack.

The difference between The bigger supercharge and the little supercharger is that the bigger supercharge power is shared between stalls. So 1A and 1B are sharing power between the two. In other words, one car on 1A gets the total power if 1B is empty (the max output of the charger if all the individuals AC/DC converters are adequately cooled and fully functional). But if 1A and 1B are each connected to a car, then the power is split between both cars so that ideally they both get half of the maximum power output.

Now the smaller sized supercharger has a dedicated power output that isn’t shared at all. So if you pull up to one stall and all the other stalls are completely full or completely empty, you still get 72kw max charge rate coming into you car.
I used larger and smaller supercharger to describe the two so that pedantically minded people don’t get their feelings hurt. But if you don’t understand something, just ask for clarification. Needlessly debating what something is called isn’t helpful and tiresome. Wouldn’t it be more constructive to simply ask how something works than try to argue what something is called?

Now the smaller sized supercharger has a dedicated power output that isn’t shared at all.
Minor correction, but it is shared. "Urban" Superchargers behind the scenes are the same electrical setup as a normal V2 Supercharger, but instead of splitting power based on prioritizing A and B, they evenly split both to 72kWh at all times. The end result is they function like non-split stalls but by using the old tried and true setup Tesla didn't have to come up with a completely new design for them. The only time this matters is when A is malfunctioning its partner B probably won't work either,

Minor correction, but it is shared. "Urban" Superchargers behind the scenes are the same electrical setup as a normal V2 Supercharger, but instead of splitting power based on prioritizing A and B, they evenly split both to 72kWh at all times. The end result is they function like non-split stalls but by using the old tried and true setup Tesla didn't have to come up with a completely new design for them.

Thank you for the clarification. But the purpose of my perspective was simply to explain how it functions speaking to consumers, not to explain how to repair, implement and manage supercharging stations to technicians/engineers. The purpose of the discussion involves the consumer experience only and discussing superfluous aspects of engineering seems to be a ploy of technical superiority instead of an act of purposeful explanation to an end consumer.
Again, whether the power is shared from the electric grid, or individual stations matters not to what is seen from the individual consumer’s perspective. Wouldn’t you agree that it just makes it more confusing? Especially when it comes to understanding supercharging ethics, planning charging times, and Tesla’s efforts to ruin the consumer experience with updates?
That’s what this whole thing is about! As a consumer I bought a Tesla because I didn’t want to deal with the unneccessary complexities of emissions testing and oxygen sensor and vacuum leaks, air to fuel ratio, catalytic converters, oil, etc. I paid a LOT of money to make my life simpler and deal with less headache of learning the mechanics of the car so that I can save money doing the work myself. Or to the very least being able to call out a mechanic on lies for unnecessary and expensive repairs.
Time is the most unaffordable resource there is. I’ve spent so much of it trying to learn how to save $2500 by microsoldering an failing eMMC chip and purchasing cables to scrutinize a battery pack. I would rather not have to dig around doing that. I just want it to work the same as I was lead to believe. But now there are lies coming from Tesla and I’m having to spend a lot of time trying to understand all that mess.
So, does the fact that an both urban or V2 chargers both share current from the same cabinet of AC/DC converters contribute a consumers understanding of it’s behavior better than my explanation? Or is it your malicious intent to incite time exhaustion writing all this? It’s obvious we’re all intelligent having purchased these vehicles.
Wouldn’t it be more efficient to start a private conversation with me to share this instead of catalyzing the birth of page 585 of the lengthy forum post about 2019.16 range loss? I’m just saying.

Reactions: boywonder