Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing malicious, as you say time is important and Tesla saved a lot of time keeping urbanst same as regular v2s. Their priorities are the same as yours when it comes to this hardware. Tesla's supercharger functions are completely off topic for this battery gate discussion so if you'd like to take this to PM go ahead, I was just pointing out your public statements were inaccurate to any of those hypothetical "consumers" that would be mislead by intentionally false information when it saves time being accurate in the first place rather than spending more time saying something that isn't right, and perhaps simply starting a thread for that topic would better suit you. Sorry for any misunderstanding you've taken.

I love your avatar byt way, it's hilarious.

Last edited:
I just received the email regarding the need to “upgrade or else” as well just like Sorka. I’m on 2019.16.1.1 and get 4.175v(avg) and 4.180v(max) at 99.3% soc when the car stops charging. No individual cell reached 4.2v as far as I can see. I believe this means I’m not currently capped unless they are doing it slowly and have not played with the soc number on my car. As for charging I still get a combined 115 (%+kw) around 60-70% soc. Pretty much the same since I got the car 3 years ago. Car has 55,000 miles.

Last edited:
Why don't you enable the function in the vehicle settings to only present the driver's door handle?

Already have that set but doesn't help when I have a front passenger. Rear door handles still open. I also don't have auto present turned on. You have to touch the handle. Also, annoying with drivers only present upon touch is that touching the passenger side door handle won't present any handles.

It would be really awesome if they could just present the handle that is touched and only the handle that is touched. It also doesn't make sense to present any handles at all when exiting a door.

Hey I know this is way of topic, but I found a way to do that. We have J1772 chargers at work now, so I open the charge port before opening the door and the car remains locked and the handles don't present.

Nice find. Unfortunately V8 doesn't seem to do that.

One thing I forgot to mention, when I'm at home, I manually do a power off and leave the drivers door open a crack which leaves the handle extended.

Nice find. Unfortunately V8 doesn't seem to do that.

One thing I forgot to mention, when I'm at home, I manually do a power off and leave the drivers door open a crack which leaves the handle extended.
I'm on v8. I think there's another setting for unlock when going into Park or something? You'd have to have that off.

Edit: Maybe also if you hit the lock icon, then open charge port before opening the door.

Update. After a pack failure 2 months ago, Tesla Australia has rung me to say that my new battery has arrived. I'm not sure whether it's new or 'reconditioned', I'm not even sure that I'll be able to pick the car up and exchange the loaner for months as we are likely to have a Covid lockdown here next week, and I'm 320km away from the service centre anyway

OK, the new battery has arrived and has been fitted. I've attached a photo of the Receipt, can anyone tell what sort of battery replacement I've got? All Tesla would tell me is that it's a "new battery matched to my existing vehicle configuration and advertised range suitable for 85kWh"

IMG_5002.jpg

Hmmm.... I was promised a newly manufactured pack, not remanufactured, and had to wait 2 months for it. Is there any way of discovering which generation battery chemistry has been used?
Look under the car from behind the front passenger side wheel. The battery label should be visible.

From the Tesla wiki battery decoder, the part number on your invoice is a 2013 vintage battery

1088815-01-B = 85kWh v3 RWD BJ2013 (Ser. No. R1)

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke
Looks to be a refurbished 8
OK, the new battery has arrived and has been fitted. I've attached a photo of the Receipt, can anyone tell what sort of battery replacement I've got? All Tesla would tell me is that it's a "new battery matched to my existing vehicle configuration and advertised range suitable for 85kWh"

View attachment 529122
Yes, early 2013 Remanufacturered battery. Given that it's a B, it was made somewhere between March and Early July 2013. This pack would have originally been plagued by the high voltage contact failure. This was not proactively replaced on in-service batteries unless the contractor failed. Good chance, it failed at some point which would be why it was taken out of service. Tesla at that point probably upgraded the contactor to the latest available and put the pack back in service for warranty repairs.

Looks to be a refurbished 8

Yes, early 2013 Remanufacturered battery. Given that it's a B, it was made somewhere between March and Early July 2013. This pack would have originally been plagued by the high voltage contact failure. This was not proactively replaced on in-service batteries unless the contractor failed. Good chance, it failed at some point which would be why it was taken out of service. Tesla at that point probably upgraded the contactor to the latest available and put the pack back in service for warranty repairs.
Yep, it looks like a B version battery, just as likely to be battery-gated as the newer battery they replaced it with. Disappointing that they make me wait 2 months to replace it with a 7 year old battery, with presumably, the same chemistry, and maybe a good deal of Li plating or dendrites
IMG_5009.jpg

Got my reply from Rotterdam, NL service center today. 2015/12 S85D with 65000 miles currently charging at 55-60 KW max at 15% SOC. As expected, the battery is still within limits, even though the service center representative did acknowledge (over the phone) that it is within limits, but after the BMS settings update to protect the battery's life (whatever that means). Lawsuit it is then, hopefully expanded on EU level and not restricted to the Netherlands. The Covid-19 situation will undoubtedly delay this but it will happen. Hopefully either the US class action lawsuit or the NHTSA investigation will have been completed by the time the lawsuit is filed, so that I can pick it up from there. Any advise to avoid US class action lawsuit mistakes are welcome. Obviously similar (to NHTSA) investigation inquiries will be submitted.

Lawsuit it is then, hopefully expanded on EU level and not restricted to the Netherlands. The Covid-19 situation will undoubtedly delay this but it will happen. Hopefully either the US class action lawsuit or the NHTSA investigation will have been completed by the time the lawsuit is filed, so that I can pick it up from there.

If you are going to wait for the US class action and/or NHTSA investigation to complete, which hasn't even started yet and may not ever start, you have a long time to wait. I would expect another year or two unless a settlement comes from the mediation.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and johnman10
I saw an interesting recent Hyundai recall:

Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2007-2010 Elantra and 2009-2011 Elantra Touring vehicles. On February 21, 2020 Hyundai expanded the recall to include 46,425 model year 2007-2008 Entourage and 2007 Santa Fe vehicles. Moisture may enter the Anti-lock Brake (ABS) Module and result in an electrical short. An electrical short within the ABS Module may cause an engine compartment fire, even when the car is turned off, increasing the risk of an injury. Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will install a relay in the vehicle's main junction box to prevent the risk of an ABS short-circuit while the car is turned off, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin April 3, 2020. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-3719460. Hyundai's number for this recall is 188.

So the cars can catch fire while they are turned off, and the solution isn't to fix the root cause and prevent the fires but just to make it so they only catch fire while they are turned on. o_O That seems completely unacceptable to me.