Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced this. I apologize if this is already answered.

I'm on 2020.8.1.1 (15' MSP85Dand over 70mph I was getting limited to 200KW on acc with the yellow dotted line. Insaine+ was enabled with battery temp around 80's F.
Letting off the throttle for about 45 sec would clear it out until I punched it, and it would come back.

F93966BD-7E0C-4E16-AAD8-876A41E3DA00.jpeg

The other day I allowed my 2013 S85 (117000+ mi) to install 20.12.5. Two days later I went to a supercharger, and weird things happened.

I usually get 221mi SOC at 90% but for the past ~6 months the time it takes to reach 90% requires 2X-3X longer than what it required before. (Have given up taking car out of state anymore; takes too damn long to charge.)

When SOC reached 215mi, the kW and mi/hr suddenly began dropping quickly, falling all the way to zero. It would stick around zero for 10-20 sec, then rise again to maybe 30-40kW. Then after a few sec, plummet back to zero. Up and down, up and down like a sine wave for the next 5 min, all the while the SOC holding at 215mi.

After 5 minutes of this I called it quits, stopped charging and headed home.

QUESTIONS:
  • Ever seen this?
  • Is my 90% range being cut before my eyes?
  • Is this batterygate finally kicking in?
  • Flaky supercharger?
  • Flaky battery?
  • A sign of something bad?

When SOC reached 215mi, the kW and mi/hr suddenly began dropping quickly, falling all the way to zero. It would stick around zero for 10-20 sec, then rise again to maybe 30-40kW. Then after a few sec, plummet back to zero. Up and down, up and down like a sine wave for the next 5 min, all the while the SOC holding at 215mi.

I wonder if this is something Tesla has done to try to reverse some of the detected degradation. (I seem to recall that long ago WK057 mentioned that he thought that they could reverse some of it.)

I wonder if this is something Tesla has done to try to reverse some of the detected degradation. (I seem to recall that long ago WK057 mentioned that he thought that they could reverse some of it.)
Or, it is Tesla doing some more Tesla magic and fails batteries to reduce the recall numbers. These failing 85 batteries seem to be increasing over the last few months. I would say coincidence if we didn't have batterygate, chargegate, end of class action mediation and NHTSA progress.

Maybe it is part of the more advanced battery diagnostics that they mentioned in the release notes.

@tinm what firmware version did you have prior to this update?

Geez I don’t know, 2020.xx.xx... whatever firmware Tesla tossed at old clunkers like mine a few months ago.

Meanwhile I have returned to the scene of the crime. Charging to 90% at the moment (at 111 as I write this) to see if the anomaly was just that. Hoping that’s all it was, stay tuned.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Geez I don’t know, 2020.xx.xx... whatever firmware Tesla tossed at old clunkers like mine a few months ago.

Meanwhile I have returned to the scene of the crime. Charging to 90% at the moment (at 111 as I write this) to see if the anomaly was just that. Hoping that’s all it was, stay tuned.

So, it was an anomaly; today I reached the 221mi 90% milestone, it just took a long time.

Starting SOC: 69mi
Starting time: 15:57

“5 min left” SOC: ~211mi
“5 min left” time: ~16:50

Finish SOC: 221mi
Finish time: 17:11

It said “5 min left” for like 21 minutes. That used to be way more accurate.

So, it was an anomaly; today I reached the 221mi 90% milestone, it just took a long time.

Starting SOC: 69mi
Starting time: 15:57

“5 min left” SOC: ~211mi
“5 min left” time: ~16:50

Finish SOC: 221mi
Finish time: 17:11

It said “5 min left” for like 21 minutes. That used to be way more accurate.
I wish I could get 221 miles at 90% on my 2015 85S. I get 217 miles at 100%. I'm told everything is fine.