Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking more about that, I can see many reasons why having a detailed battery status visible is important.

1) It would provide visible basis for warranty provision and claims. The current warranty cover appears too nebulous without any status that Tesla agree to recognise.

2) With battery condition representing a significant proportion of a car's value, being able to see an officially accepted measure would be very helpful on resale.

3) Tesla just saying 'it's within spec' can't be the only measure that owners have to work with, especially with items such as battery condition where there are no obvious markers.

4) It's all well and good for Tesla to offer performance upgrades / versions, but without more visible data it isn't clear just what the negative effects of those upgrades can be (which is why personally chose LR non performance). IE: you could be paying more for a car that is likely to fail a lot sooner if you actually use the extra performance.

5) If there are thresholds / limits / counters for things like Supercharging and launches that result in step reductions to performance, then those counters should be made available too. Either that, or they must be removed and allowed to continue indefinitely. Even then, a visible counter of anything that effectively has a direct measurable effect on vehicle longevity would be reasonable for resale.

6) Since Supercharging speed and availability can be an important factor and linked closely to the battery capacity a buyer selects, any negative effect or 'using up' of Supercharging availability should be recorded too.

I've always been surprised about the lack of information that is available through the cars infotainment system. It would be great to have an 'Advanced' feature set for us geeks who want to dig into more the data. Yes, I have SMT, and I love it. It would be great to have a bunch of additional data easily visible.

Reactions: dhanson865
I have SMT, and I love it.

Likewise.

In fact not only is it useful for geeks, but how many posts are there that start 'my range just did X, is my car about to die? Is it any good?' Even with SMT or similar, from what I have read Tesla have no obligation to accept any data so sourced as a reason to recognize a deficiency / fault.

With ICE motors you have the same I guess since you don't know if a motor has been thrashed or babied (but there are more clues / evidence than with a battery pack unless you use SMT.)

While the geek in me likes numbers, data and hopefully some understanding, the car owner in me just wants to know what shape my car (battery) is in as far as the established manufacture measures are concerned.

Likewise.

While the geek in me likes numbers, data and hopefully some understanding, the car owner in me just wants to know what shape my car (battery) is in as far as the established manufacture measures are concerned.

I agree with this statement. If you're looking to buy a used Tesla, it would be great to know the condition of the battery. I had a neighbor who was looking at a P85D and I told him all about this thread and the concern about Batterygate and Chargegate. He couldn't understand it but ended up reading through some of the thread here + Reddit. Needless to say he was scared away about making the switch to a EV. I told him to see if we could go visit the car and if the person selling it would allow us to bring the OBD... that's really the only way to figure how that car has been treated.

But the warranty in question pretty much only covers battery failures. So the status would be "Battery failed: Yes/No"

The new/current warranty cover 30%, or more, capacity loss as well as failures, so it could add a line for "Battery degradation: x%" (Which you can pretty much calculate from the range reported at 100%.
Even the currently warranty is somewhat nebulous when Tesla can limit the max pack/cell voltage. The cars are tested/certified at some max pack/cell voltage, and should operate there for the life of the vehicle.

If Tesla decides to reduce the max pack/cell voltage, and that reduces degradation such that significantly fewer packs hit 30% degradation and/or have lower failure rates over the warranty period, even if they're doing this because of safety issues, then they are IMO gaming the warranty.

If they are lowering the max pack/cell voltage across a significant portion of their fleet, then they should do the same for certification/testing. Even if they aren't doing that for a significant portion of the fleet, they should still compensate owners when they choose to do that, like Ford did with the C-Max, and either extend the battery warranty or decrease the amount of degradation needed for repair for those cars.

If Tesla decides to reduce the max pack/cell voltage, and that reduces degradation such that significantly fewer packs hit 30% degradation

Yes, that's the kind of 'nebulous' I had in mind.

The whole battery deal is too hidden (at least officially) and therefore no automatic disclosure of the timing and actual effect of any updates.

But the warranty in question pretty much only covers battery failures. So the status would be "Battery failed: Yes/No"

The new/current warranty cover 30%, or more, capacity loss as well as failures, so it could add a line for "Battery degradation: x%" (Which you can pretty much calculate from the range reported at 100%.

"Battery failure: Yes/No" is akin to the idiot lights used back in the '50s-'80s. Gauges showing oil pressure, radiator temperature, 12V charging/discharging are helpful to most ICE drivers. At least gauges can be an indication of a possible failure that is imminent so the owner can make an appointment at a garage to have his vehicle checked out.

With Tesla we tool along blissfully ignorant of any impending battery issues until we find ourselves with the dread message: "Battery failure, car is shutting down--pull over immediately." That is followed by the delightful experience of contacting Tesla via the phone app (assuming one has a signal) to come fetch the car while one waits along Interstate 70 forty miles west of Green River.

As far as battery degradation -- x%, many of us had battery degradation of about 5% for three-plus years before one day it suddenly dropped to 15-18%. Was the 5% a lie that was corrected by improved software? Or was the reduction in range solely due to the reduction in voltage from 4.2 to 4.1?

I do not trust Tesla ever to be forthcoming about anything until (a) the courts force them or (b) they start losing market share to others.

I wonder what a graphical topic tree of this thread would look like... was here a few days ago discussing relevant points, and they're just buried and lost in the mess now. It seems there's basically zero relevant posting here anymore, just a bunch of nonsense that piles on and obfuscates the few sensible points made.

Exactly instead of fighting each other or telling how smart of stupid one think he is (who knows for sure is even further away from reality) or has been is not exactly what the goal of a internet forum with a thread title is for.

Forums are a place to help people in relation to that given thread....

My ONTOPIC question would be: Can you downgrade? Can you swap the main brains for an older version to get your range back? What happens if the firmware of a new component doesn't match with the cars central MCU etc.?

Is it easy to upgrade / downgrade a component or the complete car?
This could easyly result in an article that will be proof for the NHTSA board.
I'm sure that some german manufactures will pay for it too.
even a car running an older version saying i'm full at cell level x and the other i'm full at cell voltage x would be enough. Car manufactures are bond to production equality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy V and gmo43
Exactly instead of fighting each other or telling how smart of stupid one think he is (who knows for sure is even further away from reality) or has been is not exactly what the goal of a internet forum with a thread title is for.

Forums are a place to help people in relation to that given thread....

My ONTOPIC question would be: Can you downgrade? Can you swap the main brains for an older version to get your range back? What happens if the firmware of a new component doesn't match with the cars central MCU etc.?

Is it easy to upgrade / downgrade a component or the complete car?
This could easyly result in an article that will be proof for the NTSH board.
I'm sure that some german manufactures will pay for it too.
even a car running an older version saying i'm full at cell level x and the other i'm full at cell voltage x would be enough. Car manufactures are bond to production equality.
My advice, get rooted and reverse the
hvil_correction. That will get you some functionality back.

• Helpful
Reactions: LaurS
After going back and forth with Tesla they confirmed #chargegate has been imposed on my pack to increase the longevity.
The primary issue they are skirting, and will never acknowledge, is this reduces the chance of our older 85kWh batteries from spontaneously combusting due to dendrites forming. That is the real issue that needs our focus. Who cares about battery life if it all bursts into flames? That is my complaint with NHTSA. We have multiple examples of fires just before 2019.16.1 was released. Go figure.

The primary issue they are skirting, and will never acknowledge, is this reduces the chance of our older 85kWh batteries from spontaneously combusting due to dendrites forming. That is the real issue that needs our focus. Who cares about battery life if it all bursts into flames? That is my complaint with NHTSA. We have multiple examples of fires just before 2019.16.1 was released. Go figure.
I know of the infamous one in that garage in Japan.
Do you know of others ?

I'm just curious as to what it does.

The hvil checks resistance at certain points in the circuit right? There is so way I'm touching anything high voltage lol.

Would the override option just be for aging vehicles?
Screenshot_2020-07-24-15-08-35.png

I know of the infamous one in that garage in Japan.
Do you know of others ?

Here are a few others that occurred right before the 2019.16.X software update:

Parked Teslas Keep Catching on Fire Randomly, And There's No Recall In Sight

Many of the fires happened while the Tesla was charging or parked shortly after charging. This along with comments made from Tesla has many assuming there was a thermal management issue with the battery cells especially when charging to a higher individual cell voltage. One day it would be nice if Tesla explained what happened so that we aren't left assuming and spreading around false, or to but it mildly inferred, information.