Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can only be a whistleblower if there's an actual whistle to blow. It's been quite some time since people started bringing up the range loss issue (over a year now?!). With so many bets riding on Tesla's presumed demise, if there were going to be a whistle blown on anything (especially something supposedly so huge), there would have been by now. Oh wait... nothing. Just a bunch of misinformation by a few in a ~13k post thread on a forum (with some useful bits in a fraction of a percentage of those posts).

Fortunately most people, in general, are reasonable. They don't just make things up in order to try to cause problems for others... unlike several in this thread.
Oh, you are progressing. Now it's a made-up fantasy, a delusion we suffering under, nothing wrong with our cars at all, we're just trying to cause trouble for poor innocent Tesla. :rolleyes:

Wow. Way to not actually read what I wrote, folks.

Never said there wasn't an issue, and I never said Tesla was "innocent"... in fact, I rarely defend them on anything at all because the company is run so horribly and they've screwed over so many different groups over the years it's ridiculous.

What I said was that there's nothing for a whistleblower to blow the whistle on. If there were, that'd imply that Tesla's covering up some crime/fraud, which doesn't appear to be the case here at all based on everything I know about this situation.

If somehow this issue ended up in a criminal court, and I was on the jury? Yeah, my vote would be not guilty. I don't feel like they've done anything criminal here. Shady? Disingenuous? Violation of consumer faith and good will? Sure. Something folks can sue them over? Yeah, probably... on a civil case jury for this I'd not side with Tesla over owners.

Do I think there may be some civil recourse for the folks who lost range? Probably... but then again, I thought there would be civil recourse for folks who purchased P85D vehicles advertised has having 691 HP... but I still haven't gotten that particular check in the mail as far as I'm aware (there was the win in the EU somewhere on this, but nothing in the US AFAIK).

The problem is that there are specific people in this thread trying to convince others of completely preposterous things that just have no basis in reality.

My favorite is a certain couple of folks that like trying to say things that are literal FUD like it's unsafe to park your car inside or near your house. Really? Just get a grip. There's two Tesla vehicles parked in my garage right now, with a third right outside, and several more parked inside at my shop... you really think if I thought there was even a snowball's chance in hell of any of them just bursting into flames that I would do so? Of course not.

The issue here is simple: Tesla modified vehicle software OTA in a way that caused range loss and charge speed slowdowns for a more than negligible amount of owners of particular Model S configurations, and afterward they are not doing right by owners in correcting this one way or another (either by a software or hardware change). This should really come as no surprise to anyone following Tesla long term. The company itself is historically horrible when it comes to doing the right thing in almost all cases where the customer loses out (I could make a list, but just ... ugh... do some research. AP1 release timing... 691 HP.... kWh asterisk... etc etc).

Trying to extrapolate out Alex Jones-style into crazy conspiracy theories isn't helpful in any way. Affected owners should be on Tesla like white on rice about this until they get it resolved, whether that's with Tesla directly or through the courts, regardless of why they issued the changes. The NHTSA isn't going to swoop in and help with this no matter how many people throw up random baseless theories. It's just not something they will or need to do anything about. It's a civil issue. As far as I'm concerned, Tesla stole value from affected owners.

Why they did it? Honestly, not super important. Did they do it to correct/mitigate a potential issue? Yeah, seems that way. What's the severity of that issue? No where near what the people pushing the conspiracy theories. Let's put it this way. Unmitigated, your car still isn't going to burst into flames. It could potentially, eventually, have other serious issues however, hence my suggestion last year that people apply the update.

So yeah, pretty tired of people pushing off the wall nonsense.

End of line.

Wow. Way to not actually read what I wrote, folks.

Never said there wasn't an issue, and I never said Tesla was "innocent"... in fact, I rarely defend them on anything at all because the company is run so horribly and they've screwed over so many different groups over the years it's ridiculous.

What I said was that there's nothing for a whistleblower to blow the whistle on. If there were, that'd imply that Tesla's covering up some crime/fraud, which doesn't appear to be the case here at all based on everything I know about this situation.

If somehow this issue ended up in a criminal court, and I was on the jury? Yeah, my vote would be not guilty. I don't feel like they've done anything criminal here. Shady? Disingenuous? Violation of consumer faith and good will? Sure. Something folks can sue them over? Yeah, probably... on a civil case jury for this I'd not side with Tesla over owners.

Do I think there may be some civil recourse for the folks who lost range? Probably... but then again, I thought there would be civil recourse for folks who purchased P85D vehicles advertised has having 691 HP... but I still haven't gotten that particular check in the mail as far as I'm aware (there was the win in the EU somewhere on this, but nothing in the US AFAIK).

The problem is that there are specific people in this thread trying to convince others of completely preposterous things that just have no basis in reality.

My favorite is a certain couple of folks that like trying to say things that are literal FUD like it's unsafe to park your car inside or near your house. Really? Just get a grip. There's two Tesla vehicles parked in my garage right now, with a third right outside, and several more parked inside at my shop... you really think if I thought there was even a snowball's chance in hell of any of them just bursting into flames that I would do so? Of course not.

The issue here is simple: Tesla modified vehicle software OTA in a way that caused range loss and charge speed slowdowns for a more than negligible amount of owners of particular Model S configurations, and afterward they are not doing right by owners in correcting this one way or another (either by a software or hardware change). This should really come as no surprise to anyone following Tesla long term. The company itself is historically horrible when it comes to doing the right thing in almost all cases where the customer loses out (I could make a list, but just ... ugh... do some research. AP1 release timing... 691 HP.... kWh asterisk... etc etc).

Trying to extrapolate out Alex Jones-style into crazy conspiracy theories isn't helpful in any way. Affected owners should be on Tesla like white on rice about this until they get it resolved, whether that's with Tesla directly or through the courts, regardless of why they issued the changes. The NHTSA isn't going to swoop in and help with this no matter how many people throw up random baseless theories. It's just not something they will or need to do anything about. It's a civil issue. As far as I'm concerned, Tesla stole value from affected owners.

Why they did it? Honestly, not super important. Did they do it to correct/mitigate a potential issue? Yeah, seems that way. What's the severity of that issue? No where near what the people pushing the conspiracy theories. Let's put it this way. Unmitigated, your car still isn't going to burst into flames. It could potentially, eventually, have other serious issues however, hence my suggestion last year that people apply the update.

So yeah, pretty tired of people pushing off the wall nonsense.

End of line.
You are flat out dead wrong that WHY does not matter. It's called motive. It's called intent, and it very often makes a difference as to whether something is a crime, and the degree of a crime.

I simply cannot grasp where you are coming from to say otherwise.

... Tesla modified vehicle software OTA in a way that caused range loss and charge speed slowdowns for a more than negligible amount of owners of particular Model S configurations, and...

It does seem the number of cars affected by the voltage reduction is relatively small. The number of cars affected by significantly slower supercharging is very large, though. From what I gathered it is pretty much every old 85 pack. Just drove another 85 that only 70k miles and was a year younger than mine and it had the same reduction in supercharge speed. It seems the reduction of charge rate is now administered to all 85 packs (and likely other variants with the same cells).

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke and Guy V
A better question would be, is Tesla allowed to avoid a warranty issue at the expense of the customer's ownership experience? Dunno. Don't think there's any good examples of this in the past, since Tesla's OTA setup is somewhat unique.

For me personally I plan to keep my car way past the warranty so I think that Tesla making changes to extend the life of the battery pack is a good thing. I know I would be way more upset if the pack failed shortly after it went out of warranty and Tesla could have prevented, or significantly delayed, the failure and didn't.

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE and gmo43
I only demand people cite things that are obviously false claims, completely ridiculous statements, or speculation stated as if it were fact. This seems like a reasonable expectation, no?

For myself, I generally note pretty clearly the source of information I post, and make clear what is speculation and what is not.

When it comes to information about Tesla's batteries, battery management software, hardware, etc... well, I'm quite honestly the only person here (that I'm aware of) who can be considered an expert source on such information. If you know anyone else here in this thread who works with these batteries on a technical level on a near-daily basis, has fully reverse engineered the hardware and software of the Tesla BMS (among other things), and otherwise has years of detailed knowledge and experience with the Model S batteries.... well, let me know.

If that expertise can be discounted as having "no greater validity than anyone else's speculations" ... then I honestly don't know what to tell you other than... well, I'll just skip the unkind words.
I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings but I learned long ago not to accept "Just trust me" as substance. What's more, I think you did too.

Reactions: gmo43 and Droschke
For me personally I plan to keep my car way past the warranty so I think that Tesla making changes to extend the life of the battery pack is a good thing. I know I would be way more upset if the pack failed shortly after it went out of warranty and Tesla could have prevented, or significantly delayed, the failure and didn't.
I also hope to keep my car long past the battery warranty. Until this debacle delivered via update I was feeling very good about that. As things are going now that only looks feasible if Tesla comes up fairly soon with a practical battery replacement program. I strongly believe ultimately that is going to be far more important to them than to any of us. After all, we can cut our losses and buy a different car when we have to. Tesla can't afford to be known for selling disposable cars, not at the prices and volumes they will need to survive.

Useful in context, devoid of facts yet nonetheless well worth goading you into.

But all of that and you still won't just say what you found?

Trying to imagine why not only leads to dark places where I don't want to go. It seems odd that you think anyone has to be deserving of truth.

That's... interesting I guess?

And no, as far as I'm concerned, me taking time to write explanations for things here is a voluntary contribution to the folks here. No one "deserves" or is entitled to it in any way whatsoever. It's 100% my choice who I share my knowledge and information with, where, in what format, etc. And in my opinion, some of the folks here who have been a constant thorn in the side of the ongoing conversation are not deserving of my time or contributions.

Despite that, for whatever reason I'm still here... fighting to improve the SNR around here. *sigh*

I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings but I learned long ago not to accept "Just trust me" as substance. What's more, I think you did too.

^ The above two sentiments in the two quotes above seem somewhat incompatible. On the one hand you point out what I posted was "worth" something somehow, then immediately note along the lines that you don't accept it.

Either what I note on the topic has worth to you and others beyond a random person's speculation, or it doesn't. You're not hurting my feelings either way. Accepting the former makes sense, since at some point you simply have to rely on someone else who has more knowledge and experience in an area than you do. (Ever, oh I don't know, go to a doctor for certain things, for example?) Claiming the former is just willful ignorance.

I'll just ignore the absurdity of the above... but f* it, I'll bite:

"Safety" is pretty broad. For example, I would consider a battery exploding/catching fire/etc without an external cause (like tampering, external fire, accident, etc) to be a safety issue. I wouldn't consider the car being or otherwise becoming unusable to be a safety issue. (Others have said that a car dying unexpectedly would be a safety issue, but I don't subscribe to that line of thought, considering cars break down all the time.) I wouldn't consider limited power or limited charging a safety issue. Etc.

With that in mind, to the best of my knowledge, no to both questions.

Open for debate.

The warranty explicitly disclaims capacity loss not related to a failure. Nothing has in fact failed, so I'd say by the letter of the warranty and relevant laws I'm aware of.... probably not. I'm also not a lawyer.

A better question would be, is Tesla allowed to avoid a warranty issue at the expense of the customer's ownership experience? Dunno. Don't think there's any good examples of this in the past, since Tesla's OTA setup is somewhat unique.

Mitigates a potential failure mode of the high voltage battery.

And more lol.

I could have, from a technical perspective, defended my original statements at the time pretty well. (Edit: Keep in mind that the info below is based almost entirely on independent reverse engineering of the software and hardware.)

It was quite obvious from the software that Tesla was testing proactive functions that searched for, predicted, and attempted to prevent a particular potential failure mode (catastrophic and unsafe) (X) in the fleet, and also clearly obvious from analysis of that code that it was definitely not expected to actually be found in the fleet at all.
Instead what they got were loads of false positives from a previously unknown and unrelated condition (one not inherently unsafe) (we'll later define this as Z, but the developers didn't appear to be aware of a distinction just yet). (<<--- This is about the time I initially tweeted. If this test were indeed finding loads of cases of condition X, which it appeared to be doing based on the reports of range loss, then yes, this would have been a problem and a real safety issue. I was still reviewing reverse engineering of code from updates that had been pushed since then at this time, but had not made it past this point just yet.)
That code was updated hastily to implement temporary mitigation that would prevent both X+Z from being failure modes, at the expense of significant range loss (presumable temporary... it was pretty clear that at this point whoever was writing this code was aware there was no way these were all condition X).
The code was again updated to implement separate detection for Z. At this point, both paths led to being mitigated the same way with the temporary function. (<<--- This is about when I posted about the separate conditions.)
Detection for X was updated to also check for Z (since checking for X finds X+Z, but checking for Z only finds Z).
If X found and no Z, the vehicle would be immediately disabled with an error along the lines of "High voltage battery error. Vehicle will shutdown. Contact Tesla Service." (This is not the exact error message. I've seen zero reports of the specific error being noted by anyone, further confirming information from an insider that no cases of condition X, which would be unsafe, exist in the wild).
If Z detected, then mitigation for Z put in place.
Later updates tweaked mitigation for Z to lose significantly less usable capacity.

I had expected this trend to continue, but development seems to have halted/paused shortly after the initial tweaking and small rebound on capacity. I believe there's additional room for improvement, but doesn't seem to be a priority based on limited changes to the relevant functions.

Edit: Also, I've fallen behind on my reverse engineering of the most recent firmwares... so there could be changes I'm unaware of. It takes a significant amount of time to analyze and annotate changes, determine functions, etc. I've even written custom tools to streamline some of this with various modules on the Model S, but it still involves a lot of human brain power to get anything useful. Unfortunately the time I have to set aside for this sort of stuff has been limited lately.

That's as far into this as I'm getting, and way more than is probably deserved by some of this bunch.

It appears the message "Maximum battery charge level reduced", which some owners have been getting and subsequently getting their packs replaced, is due to condition Z.

And, if that's correct would a non-mitigated condition Z potentially lead to condition X?

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr and Guy V
I suppose, short of becoming employed as a Tesla engineer or having/obtaining the knowledge and equipment required to safely dismantle a battery pack and reverse engineer the BMS software, we will never know what exactly conditions X and Z are.

I’m fine with that, however. Here is my takeaway from the situation:

Condition X is rare, with no evidence of it occurring so far; it is bad and potentially dangerous. If it occurs in conjunction with Condition Z, the danger can be mitigated.

Condition X without Condition Z is a catastrophic battery failure mode which warrants an immediate shutdown. There is no evidence of this occurring either, but it is the highest-danger situation.

Condition Z is mitigated, on 2019.16.x and newer firmware, possibly in a somewhat heavy-handed manner, but is not inherently dangerous.

Speculation: Remaining on old firmware without the mitigation code could possibly accelerate pack degradation if Z is present, or lead to a combination of X and Z.

I do think it is in Tesla’s best interest to develop a battery replacement program. Perhaps not best for them financially in the short term, but better for them in the long term.

People have mentioned “disposable cars,” which brings to mind images of mid-80s to early-90s cars such as the Yugo and Hyundai Excel which sold for under $4000 and $5000 - where the expression “you get what you pay for” applied. If early Tesla cars end up being disposable, buyers are certainly getting far less than what they paid for.

I suppose, short of becoming employed as a Tesla engineer or having/obtaining the knowledge and equipment required to safely dismantle a battery pack and reverse engineer the BMS software, we will never know what exactly conditions X and Z are.

Condition X is rare, with no evidence of it occurring so far; it is bad and potentially dangerous. If it occurs in conjunction with Condition Z, the danger can be mitigated.

Condition X without Condition Z is a catastrophic battery failure mode which warrants an immediate shutdown. There is no evidence of this occurring either, but it is the highest-danger situation.

Condition Z is mitigated, on 2019.16.x and newer firmware, possibly in a somewhat heavy-handed manner, but is not inherently dangerous.

Speculation: Remaining on old firmware without the mitigation code could possibly accelerate pack degradation if Z is present, or lead to a combination of X and Z.

I do think it is in Tesla’s best interest to develop a battery replacement program. Perhaps not best for them financially in the short term, but better for them in the long term.

People have mentioned “disposable cars,” which brings to mind images of mid-80s to early-90s cars such as the Yugo and Hyundai Excel which sold for under $4000 and $5000 - where the expression “you get what you pay for” applied. If early Tesla cars end up being disposable, buyers are certainly getting far less than what they paid for.

Mitigating Z by reducing range is stealing range from the owners. Stealing is illegal.

Condition X is rare, with no evidence of it occurring so far; it is bad and potentially dangerous.

Sounds about right.

If it occurs in conjunction with Condition Z, the danger can be mitigated.

X and Z are, surprisingly, unrelated and don't cause or lead to each other. Maybe more interesting is that X and Z can't exist together... You can have one or the other (or neither). It's that original detection method for X happens to also detect Z. They're independent. X can not actually be mitigated (in any reasonable way) without replacement hardware, which is why if its supposedly detected, and Z doesn't get detected (as in, the "detection" of X isn't actually a false positive indicating Z), the car has to shutdown. There's a bit more to it than this, but this is the basic rundown.

Sounds about right, with my clarifications above. X is not a failure directly, but a condition that could lead to a failure. So detecting it and shutting down the vehicle for a warranty swap would be reasonable. And again, this is something that appeared to be completely proactive in order to make things safer in the long run.

Edit: Contrary to the outrageous claims of others here, the fact that Tesla was and is proactively looking for a potential failure mode, and didn't actually find it, makes it plainly obviously there's nothing for them to hide from any safety regulators.

That'd be like me doing something like checking if my laptop might burst into flames if [insert super unlikely but detectable situation here], not finding any evidence that existed, but still trying to say the manufacturer needed to recall the product based on my research that turned up nothing.

Sounds about right.

Z doesn't lead to X, but otherwise sounds about right.

Agreed.

Last edited:
I have a 4.5 yr old XP90D which was a great trip car until the max supercharge power was severely reduced. My curiosity would be sated by knowing what Z is but what I need to know is any progress on a battery replacement plan, which may include the outcome of the lawsuit as that could impact my plans to hold, fix, or sell. I appreciate the reiteration of the X and Z story but hope this thread expands further only when there is real new information.

Z doesn't lead to X, but otherwise sounds about right.
More useful info that seems to either have gotten lost before or wasn't present in the thread already. This answers a question a few posts up from @Droschke as well. It seems like it would be useful to update the thread with this.

At this point it sounds like what we know is, Tesla accidentally found condition Z and saw a big warranty monsoon coming, decided to reduce cars' range to sidestep it. It sounds like like most people in the thread seem to agree that this was effectively taking something away from owners without their permission.

Just LOOKING without reporting is a crime.

Even if that is true we have no knowledge of if Tesla told NHTSA that they were looking for condition X. They very well could have.

You confirmed Tesla was looking for and took action action against a safety issue without report and without recall.

No he didn't. Did Tesla look for a safety issue? Yes. Did they find it? No. Since they didn't find it they couldn't take action against it. Therefore no recall was necessary. Did they report that they were investigating a possible safety issue? We have no idea if they did or not.

• Disagree
Reactions: gmo43 and JRP3
That's... interesting I guess?

And no, as far as I'm concerned, me taking time to write explanations for things here is a voluntary contribution to the folks here. No one "deserves" or is entitled to it in any way whatsoever. It's 100% my choice who I share my knowledge and information with, where, in what format, etc. And in my opinion, some of the folks here who have been a constant thorn in the side of the ongoing conversation are not deserving of my time or contributions.

Despite that, for whatever reason I'm still here... fighting to improve the SNR around here. *sigh*

^ The above two sentiments in the two quotes above seem somewhat incompatible. On the one hand you point out what I posted was "worth" something somehow, then immediately note along the lines that you don't accept it.

Either what I note on the topic has worth to you and others beyond a random person's speculation, or it doesn't. You're not hurting my feelings either way. Accepting the former makes sense, since at some point you simply have to rely on someone else who has more knowledge and experience in an area than you do. (Ever, oh I don't know, go to a doctor for certain things, for example?) Claiming the former is just willful ignorance.
I would NEVER accept treatment from a doctor who wouldn't explain the facts of his diagnosis. I would run from his office.

I certainly wouldn't pay you to remedy my car on that basis.

The worth of your post was that it provided a solid context of all that you had previously said on this topic, even with the lack of any actual facts. I can think of no other poster here who has withheld facts at the disposal.

This thread has turned into a complete hypocrisy. Due to the last few pages of posts, Jason is about as credible now as chaserr. Everything he posts now is the exact opposite of a different post in the past.

Good grief people, it’s a crime for anybody to access your electronic device, and alter/take information without your permission. Period. Look up past case law if you don’t believe me. Theft doesn’t only apply to physical items....
It hasn't been easy, but I do feel that the thread has moved forward a bit. We have confirmation that the updates never fixed a safety issue. It seems that Tesla could tell if folks have X or Z (or a false positive of X that is actually Z) before issuing the updates. It seems that all updates to date have only corrected condition Z. I think many folks in the thread assumed this at some point and moved on, but to my mind, I have never seen any black and white confirmation of it till now. So I consider this to be great news. Also, the idea that Z cannot develop into X was confirmed, and that is also gret news. So I think it's two steps forward, one step back, but we're getting somewhere.