Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vampire losses are out of control. For various reasons I don’t travel as I once did, leaving the car parked, but look at this:

20A473D8-4D92-4650-BC15-FAD805BD8190.png

The lawsuit is only about the lost range. There are several other issues that all pile up and negatively affect the car's usability. People don't get it. It's not just a few miles of range loss. When people only drive 40 miles a day and aren't affected it's easy to say, 'oh what's the big deal'. My car is seriously crippled in so many ways and it affects my daily driving significantly.
It is all about lost battery capacity measured in kWh. When you talk about "range" Tesla will tell you that you are not driving your car correctly. With 2019.16.1 I lost 15% kWh overnight. Forget about miles. That is an arbitrary measurement. My kWh dropped from 73 kWh of capacity to 62 kWh of capacity.. THAT'S the measurement we should be using. Anything else is a field day for the Tesla attorneys.

With 2020.20.17 my S85 also started regaining some capacity.
Here's my Teslafi battery degradation report (it's showing kilometers, not miles).

View attachment 575235

Still on 2020.20.17, I did a full charge to 100% SoC.

I got another ~ 2 kWh back (349.5 km = 217 miles)
tfbd.png

Additionally, here's a screenshot of ScanMyTesla showing the cell voltages shortly before the end of the charging session:
scanmyt.png

The battery pack now has 187,000 miles and is still the original one in my S85 (no repair, no swap). If the range stabilizes at this point, I'm actually satisfied with the durability/degradation of the battery.
Although I'm still not pleased with Tesla's costumer communications. And there still is charge gate, which has not yet been adressed by Tesla... ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DJRas and Guy V
When I posted this:

It is quite unbelieveable that you could be expected to regard your car's behavior as anything near acceptable. It is crazy that the net energy consumption of your car can change so much and apparently be of minimal concern......... What the heck has to happen before there is a recognized 'failure'????

It was prompted by the recent evidence of just how extreme the parasitic / vampire energy drain has become, almost to the point of heating and cooling the battery simultaneously and at every opportunity!

So @faughtz's post was timed perfectly!

Vampire losses are out of control. For various reasons I don’t travel as I once did, leaving the car parked, but look at this:

View attachment 578080

not pleased with Tesla's costumer communications. And there still is charge gate,

...... and draingate. Purposefully avoiding comments specifically about these data, in the absence of independently verifiable facts that support all of the evidence, there is little individual cases can do to address the underlying questions / concerns.

My kWh dropped from 73 kWh of capacity to 62 kWh of capacity.

Plus effect of energy 'wasted' cooling / heating & reduced regen (when applicable).

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke
I suppose range mode could help the temperature issue right?

Tesla said range mode limits cabin climate and also more or less passively manages the battery temps. It doesn't heat/cool the battery as much to maintain perfect temps. It doesn't preheat the battery for charging.

If it doesn't preheat the battery for charging then theres less heat to worry about right?

No one really knows with all these thermal management changes how all everything works nowadays. Too many competing parameters to make sense of any particular observation.

Reactions: Guy V
Too many competing parameters to make sense of any particular observation.
Which is why we have to look at everything on the whole to make any sense.

What is Tesla trying to avoid? High states of charge and high temperatures. How seriously does Tesla take the problem they are trying to avoid? Seriously enough to state in writing it's all been done in response tpo fires, seriously enough to cripple cars and face class action. But not seriously enough to report and inform as is the letter of the law.

Still on 2020.20.17, I did a full charge to 100% SoC.

I got another ~ 2 kWh back (349.5 km = 217 miles)
View attachment 578094

Additionally, here's a screenshot of ScanMyTesla showing the cell voltages shortly before the end of the charging session:
View attachment 578092

The battery pack now has 187,000 miles and is still the original one in my S85 (no repair, no swap). If the range stabilizes at this point, I'm actually satisfied with the durability/degradation of the battery.
Although I'm still not pleased with Tesla's costumer communications. And there still is charge gate, which has not yet been adressed by Tesla... ;)

Thanks @Guillaume - So, you are gaining kWh without software updates? Or, is it that your 2020.20.17 is giving you incremental gains?

You also have your pumps running after you charge to that high SoC, right?

Supercharging heats up the battery even more and as I get to higher state of charge the car has to bring the battery down again to the low cooling target. The amount of energy wasted and range lost in this is just stupid.

The lawsuit is only about the lost range. There are several other issues that all pile up and negatively affect the car's usability

Nissan took >10 years to learn their lesson on not actively cooling the battery pack. Leaf is not capable of DC charging repeatedly before degrading charge speeds.

Whereas Tesla cools the battery pack, which allows repeated supercharging on a road trip and extends longevity of the battery.

You and I bought the Model S, knowing it has an actively cooled pack. The energy requirements to cool the pack is part of the bargain for having repeated fast DC charging and high power drive train using battery cells designed in 2012 (in my case). In fact, you noted that your rear motor heats up (due to your left foot using accelerator liberally) to the point of requiring active cooling as well. Seems like you must enjoy the performance of your car enough to engage active drive train cooling, which isn't something you'd see if you were just cruising at speed limit.

My ancient 2013 Classic Model S with "A" pack battery also actively cools (AC system running full blast while supercharging, and runs at lower speed in the garage when nearly fully charged) and after 7.5 years still operates like new, but then again, I didn't supercharge my car regularly/daily like you bragged about (posted your posts in other threads on TMC from a few years ago upthread), so we have different battery longevity due to usage, which is par for the course.

I think his point was the A packs aren't badly crippled because supercharging was limited to 90kW and they didn't as easily form lithium plating, suffer from lithium stripping, or short circuit from lithium dendrites as often as later 85 packs. I think his point applies to why 60 packs are mostly safe too.

People lucky enough to have packs that couldn't heat up enough to form the uncontrollable high energy lithium structures that cause fires don't need to be actively cooled constantly below 80 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid combusting at random, so they aren't crippled by Tesla (yet).

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
Detection of Lithium Plating During Thermally Transient Charging of Li-Ion Batteries

Interesting article on lithium plating

I think this is how Tesla is eventually going to continue to try and spin the cause of the fires into "degradation" (assuming they aren't ever planning to do the right thing) since plating can also cause long term rapid degradation if you manage to avoid any "compromised safety" events that are always a risk this long after uncontrolled and undetected formations have been allowed to propagate as long as they were in our batteries. This article goes into the thermal controls that Tesla is employing right now and probably explains how they are detecting "sick" batteries to downgrade before a runaway thermal event.

Self-heating begins at temperatures as low as 35°C and can wall rupture provides risk of propagation failures in battery packs.
This explains @David99 's recent discovery of Tesla's ridiculously low 80F active cooling target and why it is triggered most near supercharging. Lithium plating can be controlled by thermal gradients and they are desperately trying to stop our batteries from growing more lithium deposits (especially on the ones causing David's "weak" short circuits that are probably constant and ongoing). If 95F is the temperature at which plated cells can start a thermal runaway reaction leading to fires, Tesla needs to get that temp down fast - and reducing volts helps everything. Supercharging batteries rarely runs cooler than skin temperature so they have to dump as many kWh into cooling as possible and get twice the fire-stopping benefits of cooling under 95F while reducing voltage potential for shorts to arc uncontrolled. This all makes sense, scientifically. Safety wise it's incomprehensible, but as always I would love for a legitimate hypothesis to be shared that fits all of the data we have available and doesn't make me afraid to park my car near anyone or anything I am not willing to destroy. I think the evidence warrants an abundance of caution.

@IngTH Does this make sense to you?

Last edited:
Nissan took >10 years to learn their lesson on not actively cooling the battery pack.

Yes. Definitely seemed to take an age to be taken note of, but then this was an early design and not really conceived to satisfy the same market as Tesla went for.

Whereas Tesla cools the battery pack, which allows repeated supercharging on a road trip and extends longevity of the battery.

Temperature management is fine, and I'm sure Tesla have learned lessons too from their approach. Horses for courses. Tesla's performance claims are so dependant on them getting battery manufacture and management spot on that this represents a large proportion of what you pay for. You can't imo just remove capacity / downgrade a vehicle while you work out your next move to keep it performing correctly. How can an owner even tell if they have a 'fault' if their car spec keeps changing? Oh.... If Tesla says so! That doesn't work for me.

The energy requirements to cool the pack is part of the bargain for having repeated fast DC charging

A reasonable degree of cooling is obviously part of the design, as you point out. Needing to pump energy into the battery to get it warm enough for one phase of use only to have to madly cool it minutes later for some other reason is ridiculous and not commensurate with a system working 'as intended'.

after 7.5 years still operates like new, but then again, I didn't supercharge my car regularly

I am very judicious with my use of supercharging too. It makes sense. But when you buy (bought) a new or 'cpo' Tesla with years of warranty, there is no official way of knowing with Tesla's agreement just what state a given battery is in. Sure, you have the range figure, but there is so much more to consider than just that.

I have a small 2015 EV that is showing 73% battery condition. The manufacturer will confirm that figure on request, and have a clear warranty response if it drops below 70%. They work with my car as sold, and we all know pretty much where we stand.

The numerous (largely clandestine) adjustments Tesla make in no way have universal and unequivocal benefit.

It is great that some cars - maybe that have been exposed to different environments and use - have faired better than others, but that means nothing when you look at the broader picture.

Thanks @Guillaume - So, you are gaining kWh without software updates? Or, is it that your 2020.20.17 is giving you incremental gains?

You also have your pumps running after you charge to that high SoC, right?

Yes, I'm still getting additional range back without doing further updates. But I made a mistake in my earlier post, I'm already on 2020.24.6.11 since 30/07/2020.
In summary, the regaining of range started with 2020.20.17 and accelerated with 2020.24.6.11.

The pumps are running at high SoC, so drain gate is still a problem. E.g. after the recent 100% charge I lost 3.4 kWh in 2.5 hours before driving away. That's crazy....

tempsnip.png

Yes, I'm still getting additional range back without doing further updates. But I made a mistake in my earlier post, I'm already on 2020.24.6.11 since 30/07/2020.
In summary, the regaining of range started with 2020.20.17 and accelerated with 2020.24.6.11.

The pumps are running at high SoC, so drain gate is still a problem. E.g. after the recent 100% charge I lost 3.4 kWh in 2.5 hours before driving away. That's crazy....

View attachment 578322

Thanks Guillaume. I'm also @2020.24.6.11 but have seen no gains at all going back to any post-2019.16.x update. But again, I do not charge to 100%, do I have to? If yes, AC or Supercharging to 100%? Hate to sit at the supercharger station for hours in hope of reaching 100%.

• Informative
In fact, you noted that your rear motor heats up (due to your left foot using accelerator liberally) to the point of requiring active cooling as well. Seems like you must enjoy the performance of your car enough to engage active drive train cooling, which isn't something you'd see if you were just cruising at speed limit.

I don't understand how you just make up how I drive to explain your theory.
On my current road trip (8000 miles so far) my energy consumption driving through record heat is one of the lowest consumption on any road trip I have taken in the last 6 years. IOW I'm driving very conservatively. The DU doesn't heat up because I drive fast or accelerate fast. I'm driving very carefully. In fact I'm going very close to the speed limit. Yet the car still behaves like I described. Would you please stop making up stuff to support your theories?

In the absence of facts, we’re all making theories to match the math we have.
Kind of like string theory*. The math works if you have N dimensions where N is an arbitrary integer greater than 10, but everyone’s math and value of N differs.

* Anything I know of string theory was gleaned from reruns of The Big Bang Theory.

• Love
In the absence of facts, we’re all making theories to match the math we have.

Not really, Nick. The motivation is different. Search for what I posted above. In this very thread search for this:

"the entire thread is full of over blown hysterical owners with self generated expectations. Gradual range loss. That is your expectation. Disabuse yourself of this false hope and embrace that the technology of our vehicles is a work in progress. Get in and drive. Stop with the drama."

Reactions: Guy V and First EV
Thanks Guillaume. I'm also @2020.24.6.11 but have seen no gains at all going back to any post-2019.16.x update. But again, I do not charge to 100%, do I have to? If yes, AC or Supercharging to 100%? Hate to sit at the supercharger station for hours in hope of reaching 100%.

Normally I only charge up to 80% SoC. But I can monitor the range @100% as Teslafi extrapolates it even when the charging session stops earlier.
The 100% charge I mentioned above was AC. I cannot find a correlation to AC or DC in my data. But due Corona I'm charging AC mostly.

I extracted the recent charge log for you:
Regaining Range with 2020.20.17 and 2020.24.6.11

• Informative
Normally I only charge up to 80% SoC. But I can monitor the range @100% as Teslafi extrapolates it even when the charging session stops earlier.
The 100% charge I mentioned above was AC. I cannot find a correlation to AC or DC in my data. But due Corona I'm charging AC mostly.

I extracted the recent charge log for you:
Regaining Range with 2020.20.17 and 2020.24.6.11

Thanks for the datapoints. Do you find the Teslafi extrapolation for 100% SoC to be equal to what the slider bar on the Tesla mobile app shows? What's the comparison between the two?

• Helpful