Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't been in this thread in a while, but it is coincidental that last night when shutting everything down to go to bed, I heard the Tesla in the garage. I opened the door and the fans must have been at 100%. Keep in mind, at this point it was probably 78% SOC (was charging to 80 and it was almost done). But it sounded identical to the fans when it's supercharging on a 100 degree Texas day. Incredibly loud in my garage. I had never heard it that loud before, so I opened the garage door to let a little more cold air in, but it wasn't very hot in the garage in the first place.

Just found it odd.

Edit to add 2015 Tesla 85D w/ 130k miles.

I haven't been in this thread in a while, but it is coincidental that last night when shutting everything down to go to bed, I heard the Tesla in the garage. I opened the door and the fans must have been at 100%. Keep in mind, at this point it was probably 78% SOC (was charging to 80 and it was almost done). But it sounded identical to the fans when it's supercharging on a 100 degree Texas day. Incredibly loud in my garage. I had never heard it that loud before, so I opened the garage door to let a little more cold air in, but it wasn't very hot in the garage in the first place.

Just found it odd.

Edit to add 2015 Tesla 85D w/ 130k miles.

Thanks for the info. Are you planning to charge to no more than 78% from now on to see if the fans/pumps will still be running?

This is informative. Thanks. Seems that you are saying (i don't like to interpret other's words), if pump is running, it's purely b/c of temp imbalance?
A couple of things that come to mind are, I'm not even sure it is the pump that's running, but something is, and it's not a fan.
The other thought is, it seems to always drain specifically to ~78%. In reality, maybe it drains to 80 and the rest is vampire drain, who knows.
So for example, these are vampire drain at different SOCs:
If I charge the car to 70%, and park shortly after, my vampire overnight drain is 1-2mi. You are correct that there is more variation now after they changed connectivity settings/code, but lately, seems to have settled back to 1-2mi.
In case of not charging recently:
If car's SOC is 20ish% to 78%, vampire drain is also 1-2mi overnight.
If car's SOCis <20%, vampire drain is significantly higher, eg, it will go from 40->32mi overnight
If car's 12V is low, car's vampire drain will significantly increase, eg. mine was 8-10mi overnight (seems like we understand and expect this one)
If, however, car's SOC is above 80% (whether charging recently or not) it will continue to drain at a much faster pace until it gets to 78%. This, on surface at least, does not seem to be related to temp, but rather SOC, unless temp and SOC are 100% correlated at 78% SOC.
That's where it stops and goes back to normal vampire drain. It is a very consistent and specific behavior.
Do you have any insight or theories on this?

Not specifically to wk057, but all:
Someone mentioned earlier that 78% correlates to 3.99V? Can anyone confirm this with their own car?
Maybe first of all, how many people see this same behavior with their car? Is it everyone or not?
In discussion with a Tesla tech (in Australia) revealed that an update in early 2020 I think changed the settings for cooling. My 2015 P85D runs the cooling pump any time I charge over 80%, and for 6-8 hours, or until charge drops back to 80%. At higher SOCs it does eventually stop, but long after any logical reason for equilibrating the batteries. I interpret it as a safety after the fires, in case there is a hot spot developing they keep the battery pack temperature equilibrated for a LONG time, or until back below 80%. Is a real nuisance if I need high SOC to reach destination, can really only get there if I charge until departure, because if I shut down charger earlier, the drain to run the pump can knock 15-20 kms off overnight, and that is the safety margin to avoid range anxiety.

In discussion with a Tesla tech (in Australia) revealed that an update in early 2020 I think changed the settings for cooling. My 2015 P85D runs the cooling pump any time I charge over 80%, and for 6-8 hours, or until charge drops back to 80%. At higher SOCs it does eventually stop, but long after any logical reason for equilibrating the batteries. I interpret it as a safety after the fires, in case there is a hot spot developing they keep the battery pack temperature equilibrated for a LONG time, or until back below 80%. Is a real nuisance if I need high SOC to reach destination, can really only get there if I charge until departure, because if I shut down charger earlier, the drain to run the pump can knock 15-20 kms off overnight, and that is the safety margin to avoid range anxiety.

I interpret it as a safety after the fires ...

I totally agree with you.

They know what the threshold is for kicking in the fans/pumps for the affected cars, i.e., 78%, etc. They should just follow their Batterygate :) model and set that threshold as the *new* maximum charge % in order to contribute to the "longevity" ;) of the pumps/fans. Not sure why they allow the affected cars to charge above 78% and then start those fans/pumps that loud and for that long to reduce the SoC. It just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
If I charge to 75%, the pumps do not come on at all after charging. If I charge to 80%, they come on for exactly 3 hours. If I charge to 85% or 90%, or anything higher than that, they still come on for exactly 3 hours. Are you observing something different than that?
good info. I haven't looked at the length they run. I'll see if i can do that next time and update. Thanks for the info.
Though, I seem to remember that I left it with 90+ at night, and then when i got up and left at 6, they were still running.

Last edited:
Exactly right...

In discussion with a Tesla tech (in Australia) revealed that an update in early 2020 I think changed the settings for cooling. My 2015 P85D runs the cooling pump any time I charge over 80%, and for 6-8 hours, or until charge drops back to 80%. At higher SOCs it does eventually stop, but long after any logical reason for equilibrating the batteries. I interpret it as a safety after the fires, in case there is a hot spot developing they keep the battery pack temperature equilibrated for a LONG time, or until back below 80%.
A "hot spot" makes no sense. If the pack has failed enough that it is developing significant hot spots in the pack, cooling it extra after the car is done charging won't help much. If the hot spot is due to a significant defect such as internal short (which is really the only way a "hot spot" would occur, either you will quickly end up with a severely imbalanced pack which requires replacement, or it will quickly turn into a bigger issue which will trip a thermal fuse or worse when driving around or when charging.

As wk057 has been trying to explain, it's more likely that it's due to a programming change in the tolerable temperature imbalance above a certain cell voltage that should be relaxed.

so basically what you are saying is that older packs run hotter?

No. I'm saying that older packs tend to have higher deltas on temperature and/or voltage between modules.

I interpret it as a safety after the fires, in case there is a hot spot developing they keep the battery pack temperature equilibrated for a LONG time

Do you have a CAN log with the thermal measurements of the 32 sensors in the pack to back up this interpretation? Any evidence showing a module consistently gaining temperature or otherwise not dissipating thermal energy to the loop as expected?

Sounds like a pretty baseless argument. See below a sensible argument against "hot spots".

[...] then start those fans/pumps that loud and for that long to reduce the SoC.

I like that fans are now being added into the conspiracy theory mix only after I noted that cooling doesn't actually happen on the battery loop while stationary without fans... and it still somehow fits the false narrative despite no one reported fans running, only pumps (at least not that I saw posted before my note about fans)? Interesting...

It just doesn't make sense.

It only doesn't make sense to folks who won't follow the facts and make logical conclusions. Here's a post from someone who gets it:

A "hot spot" makes no sense. If the pack has failed enough that it is developing significant hot spots in the pack, cooling it extra after the car is done charging won't help much. If the hot spot is due to a significant defect such as internal short (which is really the only way a "hot spot" would occur, either you will quickly end up with a severely imbalanced pack which requires replacement, or it will quickly turn into a bigger issue which will trip a thermal fuse or worse when driving around or when charging.

As wk057 has been trying to explain, it's more likely that it's due to a programming change in the tolerable temperature imbalance above a certain cell voltage that should be relaxed.

The amount of delta-temperature permitted, and thus when equalizing pumping is triggered, varies based on SoC and other factors. At higher SoC the permitted delta is lower, and the loop will run to equalize the temperatures across the modules. Super simple.

The "hot spots" conspiracy theory is complete BS anyway. Let's debunk!

First, how would a cell or module develop a "hot spot"?

Let's assume for the sake of argument that this is whats happening, and there is some issue with a cell in the pack that causes it to self heat due to some internal issue (HYPOTHETICAL FOR THIS POST, NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CASE).

Now, the conspiracy theory in this thread about the pumps running constantly is to somehow prevent this hypothetically bad self-heating unsafe cell from getting too hot by doing... something. The claim so far has been that somehow the pumps running the coolant through the closed battery loop, with no fans going, will magically dissipate self heating in bad cells.

Ok, that's impossible... but, let's accept that there's some magic there... just to give this debunk an even more solid foundation and anchor to reality.

So there's a self heating cell, and somehow we're keeping it cool. But um... where's the energy coming from for the heating? If a cell is self-heating, that energy has to come from somewhere.

Where would energy for a self heating cell come from? Well... from that cell, and possibly other cells in parallel with it.

How would that show up in diagnostics and empirical data? As a consistent drain on that cell group causing a consistent downward imbalance.

What does Tesla already detect and deal with using the BMS? Unexplained imbalances. In fact, unexplained downward imbalances throw a user facing error to contact Tesla service, and place the car into low power limp mode (initially) and fully disable the vehicle eventually if the imbalance grows too great. (Keep in mind, the BMS can NOT correct an imbalance where a cell group is too LOW on voltage. It can only discharge cell groups to correct an imbalance.)

(Edit: To answer an unasked question, "unexplained" upward imbalances, where a cell rises to a higher voltage than expected per pack-level charge provided... are generally explained by other factors, such as normal degradation, temperature vs charge rate, etc... Overall, since nothing will push a cell too high without the BMS saying so, upward imbalances are just corrected by the system without warning or error, unless they are consistent and out of spec.)

Long story short, this latest conspiracy theory, like all of the others being pushed here, is complete nonsense and has no basis in reality. Just a general lack of understanding about how the system works being twisted into some imagined grand nefarious scheme.

Like I (and others) have said, the pumps running are most likely an artifact of an older pack not reaching temperature delta targets as desired by the BMS, and Tesla doesn't seemed to have loosened these targets to allow this in older packs without a constant attempt to balance thermals, thus causes an infinite run of the closed loop while the target delta is programmed to be tighter (based on SoC and other factors). And, from what I can tell, the specifics of this particular algo haven't been changed in years.

Last edited:
Here's some more information, somewhat related, that no one asked for:

The thermal loop in the battery pack is actually pretty terrible. It only makes contact with each cell's outer wall at a small spot that touches a tiny fraction of the surface area of the cell. Literally less than 3% of the total surface area of the cell is in contact with the thermal loop. The contact area is tiny, on the order of a couple of sq cm.

So the amount of heat it can transfer from a cell is extremely limited, and its effectiveness at equalizing the temperature between modules, and detect, is equally limited. Specifically, the temperature probes on the modules (two of them) are positioned on the outside of two cells about 20" away from the inlet and outlet, respectively, with the loop's contact point 90 to 180 degrees away from the probe's contact point around the cylinder. Any thermal change would have to pass through the cell from the small contact point to be effective, and to be effectively measured.

I don't know the exact numbers for the loop's effectiveness off the top of my head, but based on my own experiments it's under about 3-4kW max with a 15-20C temperature delta between the loop temp and cell temp. That means at most the coolant loop can shuffle around about 0.5W per cell, perhaps as high as 1W in the best conditions. Everything beyond that, as far as internal heating (during charging or some imagined failure mode) would be beyond the capability of the liquid cooling system, and would result in the cell's temperature increasing regardless of the loop's efforts.

This generally isn't a problem, since normal use never results in stress beyond the ability of the loop to handle eventually. For example, under full acceleration the pack might experience as much as 100kW of internal heating... for a few seconds. So, 100kW for 5s is 500,000 watt/seconds... or 500 kJ. Well, the thermal loop can do about 3kW, or about 3 kJ/s in good conditions. Even if it's 1 kJ/s it can undo the heating of our 500 kJ increase in heat in under 10 minutes. And the higher the thermal delta is between the loop and the cells, the more effective the loop is.

Supercharging is the most taxing, as the loop has no way to compete with the internal heating of fast charging. What basically happens is the loop does its best, with a high delta (~10-20C coolant vs 40-55C cells), and just slows the temperature rise. When the pack reaches max temp, the BMS simply slows the charge rate to keep the internal heating low enough for the loop to handle, based on its measured performance in the conditions at the time, to maintain a target pack temp.

Thanks very much for your detailed info wk057, its nice having some basis for all the issues going on with our car after 2019.16. If tesla would just communicate better it would save alot of the questions and people trying to make sense of the situation. So is it safe to assume our older packs are charging hotter than previous or just reduced thresholds from the BMS. Im thinking latter as i can't charge past 74kw in any condition on my 2015 P85D.

So Tesla released a software update that changed the tolerable temperature deltas which had the effect of causing the battery coolant pumps to run constantly. It so happens that for many (all?) batterygated people this update caused the pump to run until SOC drops to 80%. Ok 10-4 got it.

Looks like our cars suddenly became "older" to possess some higher deltas on temp or voltage last May after few fire incidents and when the 2019.16 was installed to "revise the charge and thermal management settings"... Hmmmmm ...

Tesla is updating its battery software following a car fire, claims improve longevity - Electrek

• Funny
Reactions: wk057 and Guy V
@wk057 theory about voltage/temp deltas is sound enough to justify the pumps (and eventually fans) running while SoC is above ~78% SoC and a lower charging power during a SuC session.

However it's not enough to make me accept the fact that I don't have anymore what I paid for, while still under warranty.

Just imagine if Tesla "nerfed" AP1 features while investigating accidents while it was on (and there are such kind of accidents):
- for more than 16 months
- without any direct communication to owners/drivers justifying the nerfing
- without any direct communication to owners/drivers about duration and extension of nerfing or findings
- while AP2+ gets more and more newer versions, both sw and hw

Would AP1 owners keep quiet, accepting that Tesla wants to keep us safe and the car in one piece, or you would demand a fix, even though AP1 hardware is no longer under warranty!;P

@wk057 theory about voltage/temp deltas is sound enough to justify the pumps (and eventually fans) running while SoC is above ~78% SoC and a lower charging power during a SuC session.

However it's not enough to make me accept the fact that I don't have anymore what I paid for, while still under warranty.

Just imagine if Tesla "nerfed" AP1 features while investigating accidents while it was on (and there are such kind of accidents):
- for more than 16 months
- without any direct communication to owners/drivers justifying the nerfing
- without any direct communication to owners/drivers about duration and extension of nerfing or findings
- while AP2+ gets more and more newer versions, both sw and hw

Would AP1 owners keep quiet, accepting that Tesla wants to keep us safe and the car in one piece, or you would demand a fix, even though AP1 hardware is no longer under warranty!;P
Well that’s a good analogy and I guess Tesla is counting on the same narrative.
Let me explain: AP1 has already been nerfed since it’s initial release (From almost no nag to nag every 10s). Only most owner of AP1 cars have moved to AP2 and above. And new owners of AP1 cars have never experienced AP1 in its early years.

Newer owners of older Tesla (60/70/85/90) are happy with what they bought and will not really care that their car used to have better charge speed or range. They will accept this as part of buying second hand.

Only a dying breed of original owners will know and every day, their relative significance lowers.

I still have hope for a replacement battery option (paid), like we have had for MCU1.
It completely makes sense and is in the spirit of sustainability. Time will tell.

See, and this is why we can't have nice things.

Let's actually read a specific line from the summary of my post above:
From what I can tell, the specifics of this particular algo haven't been changed in years.

Then let's read how some people chose to interpret that:
reduced thresholds from the BMS
So Tesla released a software update that changed the tolerable temperature deltas

I find it amazing that folks can read something and then just roll with the exact opposite... at least @Droschke tried to be funny about it:

Looks like our cars suddenly became "older" to possess some higher deltas on temp or voltage

But yeah, your car actually did become older? You know, that's how time works and all... at least as far as I can tell I'm not getting any younger as time goes on.

The affected cars are all at least 5 years old now, and as old as almost 8 years (all affected vehicles have v1 or v1.5 packs with 85-type modules, which were discontinued with the release of v2 packs, internally called "flex packs", around May 2015).

Fact is that as a battery pack ages, there will be higher thermal and electrical deltas between cells/modules due to the cells all aging just a tiny bit differently, with those differences compounded over time. The BMS is there to deal with these as best possible, and Tesla set some acceptable limits (some of which appear pretty arbitrary, and others based on cell behaviors) for various metrics in the software that the BMS does its best to keep the pack within. These include many things, such as voltage balance delta (adjusted for SoC), thermal balance delta (adjusted for SoC and overall temperature), max/min cell voltage (adjusted for temperature and load/charge), SoC balance between cell groups (difference in actual calculated capacities of the 96 cell groups, independent of voltages), pack level current and voltage limits, thermal targets (adjusted for SoC and load/charging), etc etc etc etc etc. Many of these things have been tweaked over the years, but quite a few of them, including the thermal delta algo, have not.

Specifically, the most recent changes (past couple of years) have been to the active cooling targets of the pack when at higher SoC and during charging. This actually was also part of an owner experience improvement, too, since previously when charging on AC power, the chiller would rarely be utilized and passive fan-based cooling was used. This could make the car roar loudly from full speed fans, since as noted earlier they're ineffective at low speeds when stationary when doing passive coolant cooling due to their placement. About 2 years ago the initial change was made to run the A/C compressor at a very low power, along with the condensor fans at low speed, to cool the battery pack during charging instead of the louder passive cooling. This, surprisingly, works out to roughly the same power consumption as the passive cooling (full speed fans + full speed pumps; vs low speed fans, medium-to-full speed pumps, and low power A/C compressor use), and is able to provide more effective cooling to the pack. Long time owners may have noticed this change at some point.

I also never said older packs are running hotter. I said they have higher deltas on temperature between modules. There's a difference.

It so happens that for many (all?) batterygated people this update caused the pump to run until SOC drops to 80%. Ok 10-4 got it.

Again, the update didn't change the thermal delta algo at all. It's been the same since at least 2013. It's actually a function that takes in the min/max temps, SoC, and current power usage to come up with a permitted delta-C, which is then fed to a final yes/no check against the measured delta to determine whether to initiate corrective measures (ie, run the pump). Then, depending on how outside the target delta the actual temps are, another algo decides how fast to run the pump. There's a bit of hysteresis logic in there, but this is the gist of it.

As SoC increases above 50%, the permitted delta decreases. It's not linear, but it roughly works out to about only a 1.5 degree C permitted delta at 100% SoC, and about a 3C permitted delta at ~80% SoC. It maxes out at 5C around 50% SoC, and then tapers back down towards 3C at 0%. Measured power has a minimal effect on it, increasing the allowed delta up to 1C during high rate charge/discharge. Also, the delta calc algo doesn't use the user-facing SoC, it uses a different computed value based on average CAC for the cell groups... effectively making it about +/- 5% vs user-facing SoC.

Edit: I'll note, the permitted thermal deltas are actually quite tight, all things considered. It's entirely possible that a pack may never reach a desired thermal delta target until SoC reaches a state where the permitted delta is higher than the measured delta, which is what it sounds like may be happening to the few folks reporting pumps running until x% SoC. I'd really like to see CAN logs from these people to analyze.

Last edited:
Tesla is updating its battery software following a car fire, claims improve longevity - Electrek

In response to the fire incidents, Tesla said they are revising the charge and thermal management settings. BTW, they never said the changes were being made because the cars were getting "old", rather they were their response to the fire incidents.

Questions:

1- What specifically did they change?
2- Did those changes result in the pumps running for hours beyond 78% SoC?

Anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: gmo43

In response to the fire incidents, Tesla said they are revising the charge and thermal management settings. BTW, they never said the changes were being made because the cars were getting "old", rather they were their response to the fire incidents.

Questions:

1- What specifically did they change?
2- Did those changes resulted in the pumps running for hours beyond 78% SoC?

The answers to both of your questions are in my above posts. Perhaps read those.

still have hope for a replacement battery option (paid), like we have had for MCU1.
It completely makes sense and is in the spirit of sustainability. Time will tell.
I have hopes they let us buy our way back into a safe car with this option. I understand it's not for everyone but I will save them the money on the safety recall and pay for an upgrade like I've always said I would, and new hardware is the most likely reason they delayed this long. They didn't have a safe affordable recall part last year and the 250v 85 may still be in testing or verification but it sounds liek the right answer to those charge and thermal settings they needed to make to address fires without breaking warranty laws and finally complying with safety laws.

At this point I'll probably buy the upgrade / recall and sell the car with a clear conscience.

Has anyone still on older firmware experienced this constant running of pumps at higher charge levels?
I have never seen this on my 2013 with V8 (2018.34).
Also no reduction in range or supercharging speed either.

Just luck or has something changed?

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke