Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla must think we are really stupid. Basic US contract law: Terms are set in stone on the date the agreement was made (Purchase Date). Any modifications MUST be ratified by BOTH parties involved and cannot be one sided.

In general I do agree, in particular in a software system it is a bit different: When e.g. due security reasons the software is upgraded free of charge, the supplier could deny certain services and service if the free of charge update is not applied, even retrospectively.

This let to some situations, e.g. Switzerland someone had to pay the Service Center a couple of hours to manually update in different steps from v8 due expired certificates.

Nevertheless, the supplier has to ensure that the functionality due said security related updates is not diminished in any way. And here we are circling back to Tesla arguing "normal degradation".

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
What was the v8 projected range for 100%?
About 240, but I brought it to the SC because of a "Battery charge limit will be restricted" message. That day even on V8 it looked like I'd lost 25 miles or so; so I can't say the loss is due only to the update.

The message has not reappeared since I got the car back. They did nothing except update the firmware and charge me for it. I was without my car 19 days. They want me to bring it back after driving it a month.

"Battery charge limit will be restricted"

I thought once you get that message they will/should replace your battery.

Is this the message you got?

Maximum battery charge level reduced 1.png

• Funny
Reactions: Krash
Did they put that in writing? because rated uses EPA values whose estimates can't be whimsically adjusted without federal permission. Showing evidence of them admitting they pulled a dieselgate on us is a guaranteed way to make them stop. VW had to buy back the cars they took range away.

Reactions: mymagiccarpet
Just got off phonewit tech.myfirmwar "upgrade"rducwd my supercharge rate to 40kw...without notifying me . Apparently all series BB batteries have been shunted to lower charge rates.ie hours for me.dont make plans and don't take your tesla on long trips !

Double warranty claim reduction boost. Not only do they keep you from subjecting the battery to higher charge rates that will heat the battery and accelerate degradation, but by not being able to go on long trips, you put far fewer miles on the car which reduces their chance of having to pay out on DU/battery/inverter drivetrains components under the 200K warranty.

So glad I'm still on V8:mad:

Along that line of thought, I was also told the software doesn't reduce range; it just uses a different constant giving a more realistic range estimate.
so the original estimate was a lie? Does EPA know?:D

All this is becoming comical. Tesla will clearly push as far as they can to eliminate or reduce their losses at the detriment of consumer, and they do not hide it in any way (presumably b/c there is no need to, afterall, there is no repercussions so far). The only question is, do government agencies and courts have any will and credibility to enforce regulations and laws.

Last edited: