Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<JokeMode>
Ô the irony... while I invested in Tesla to keep the Earth from getting too warm, my 85 battery would actually perform better in warmer climate :eek:
</JokeMode>

Disclaimer: Still a believer and very aware that I embarked in 2015 on a journey in uncharted territory, which, all things considered, led to driving -still today- an amazing car.
This is true. Even if Tesla burns it's bridges with every owner and stops selling cars, none of us really want to go back to gas and the ones that have only do because there weren't any alternatives. With real options for good EVs now from most manufacturers, Tesla already succeeded in it's mission to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transportation. Even if Tesla wants to go back on that and make cars Disposable, that cats out of the bag and EVs are here to stay. I still think this competition will eventually prompt Tesla to start playing by the rules and stop burning bridges (and cars) and finally put this controversy in the past where it belonged 2 years ago.

We embarked on this journey together. The ships captain lied to us about how long our tickets were good for and tried to hijack us into smaller boats like a pirate, but some day the captain will be held accountable or replaced and our tickets will be honored.

Last edited:
The car heats the battery during charging as needed w/o supercharger as destination.
The battery gets heated even on AC if it's cold enough.

View attachment 618618

Yes, i did see that today with SMT.
WIth or without the destination, the heater was on.
When i posted my remark, i didn't had the scanner, so i thought i had found something to speed things up.
But i didn't.......
Chargespeed plus SOC is 110 if the battery at 70%.
But at low SOC it is about 90.
( that was after an hour long drive, with supercharger as destination ).

I haven't been following this thread lately since I've lost 20+ miles of range after a firmware update. I haven't charged to 90% in a while, but the other day I ended up going that route. I was quite surprised to see my range has gone back up significantly. I think I've lost 3 or 4 miles now prior the significant drop. My total battery degradation at this point is about 6% from the day I bought my car and charged to 90% the very first time. Time to Supercharge has also drastically increased however.

I haven't been following this thread lately since I've lost 20+ miles of range after a firmware update. I haven't charged to 90% in a while, but the other day I ended up going that route. I was quite surprised to see my range has gone back up significantly. I think I've lost 3 or 4 miles now prior the significant drop. My total battery degradation at this point is about 6% from the day I bought my car and charged to 90% the very first time. Time to Supercharge has also drastically increased however.

Hello!
As stated earlier e.g. in this post and also from my experience, the shown range indeed increased. But not the actual usable energy. It is cosmetic.

BR, Oaito.

Would you be able to report your current total kWh capacity? If you don't have any Canbus tool you can always use the formula offered in post#1 of this thread under "CALCULATION OF AMOUNT OF CAPACITY BLOCKED BY CAPPING".

Also, can you charge to 100%?

Thanks.

Does your max charge also stop below 100%?

Yes.

Long version @2020-36-11: Since the charge rate above 90% soc drops beyond bearable, I normally does not have the time to try at SuC or CHAdeMO, I tried once by accident, it was at a local Audi seller which installed an Efacec 50kW DC Charger which is deserted over night and normally only available for customers. But recently one can charge there for 29eurocent per kWh after hours. I simply fell asleep during one charging session... and the Tesla App notification of a stopped charging session let me awake again: 97% soc.

When using my UMC I barely get it over 96% after hours of charging at 2-1kW.

So, I've got a voltage limit plus 97% is my "new" 100%. And a parallel translation of the charge rate, just drove on Saturday 750km to Berlin and Sunday 750km back. While using ABRP/classic for trip planning and driving down to 3% and not charging above 75% soc I could reduce the additional charging time a bit, but still it is ~50% longer than "before" 2019-16.

Good 'ol times @ <2019-16
=> Charging speed to 94% was no real issue.
=> Charging to 100% in time also possible in a timely manner
=> real world degradation was at <6%

BR, Oaito.

Yeah it is nice but how's that draingate treating ya?

I wonder what will happen to the majority of model s cars post the 8 yr warranty. Right now it seems to appear that they are trying to limp the batteries past the 8yr mark. Its clear to me that concern for customer satisfaction vaporized over a year ago. So at that point what happens? Do they do another update dropping capacity again out of abundance of caution? While pretending your 8 yr old car magically got more efficient, ie say you have range you don't based on a more unrealistic wh/mi figure.

I don't think anything will happen immediately, but the people concealing this safety recall probably have a huge number of "charge voltage reduced, vehicle may not start" mysterious battery failures planned for some not-suspicious delay after birthday+8 passes.

I wouldn't be surprised if a timer like that has been in public firmware for a long time already to get as many at-risk cars off the road as possible without tying the failures to any specific update.

Last edited:
I don't think anything will happen immediately, but the people concealing this safety recall probably have a huge number of "charge voltage reduced, vehicle may not start" mysterious battery failures planned for some not-suspicious delay after birthday+8 passes.

I wouldn't be surprised if a timer like that has been in public firmware for a long time already to get as many at-risk cars off the road as possible without tying the failures to any specific update.

At this point, NOTHING surprises me, unfortunately.
Lately, no matter WHERE I charge, and how long I drive and no matter how warm my S is, as of 2020.40.9.2 my maximum charge KW seems to be 72KW MAX. And it only lasts for about 1/2 of a second and drops to 62-64KW for a short time (couple of minutes) before going to the new norm of 36KW.
I made an appointment in the App. It was promptly cancelled with the standard bullshit line about for the longevity of the battery. They then had the bollocks to attach that standard insulting 'tutorial' on supercharging, like I am some kind of newbie moron who has not owned a Tesla since 2013. There was also a mention of the new models that they sell.
Feeling VERY betrayed and let down by their complete breakdown in customer service. This is NOT the Tesla we all helped BUILD from the ground up. Do I think they will voluntarily do the right thing? Hell no. They have had well over a year to do the right thing. Hell, they won't even ADMIT to what they did to us. I guess brand loyalty means SQUAT to them now.

At this point, NOTHING surprises me, unfortunately.
Lately, no matter WHERE I charge, and how long I drive and no matter how warm my S is, as of 2020.40.9.2 my maximum charge KW seems to be 72KW MAX. And it only lasts for about 1/2 of a second and drops to 62-64KW for a short time (couple of minutes) before going to the new norm of 36KW.
I made an appointment in the App. It was promptly cancelled with the standard bullshit line about for the longevity of the battery. They then had the bollocks to attach that standard insulting 'tutorial' on supercharging, like I am some kind of newbie moron who has not owned a Tesla since 2013. There was also a mention of the new models that they sell.
Feeling VERY betrayed and let down by their complete breakdown in customer service. This is NOT the Tesla we all helped BUILD from the ground up. Do I think they will voluntarily do the right thing? Hell no. They have had well over a year to do the right thing. Hell, they won't even ADMIT to what they did to us. I guess brand loyalty means SQUAT to them now.
You are going through the four stages of grief buddy. Unfortunately, the more you will think of it, the more you will realise that this has ALWAYS been Tesla. With pretty lies, they got us trapped to get them where they are and now that they are self sustained and do not need us anymore, they simply do not have to do anything for you. They have finally revealed their true face and laugh at us suckers

I would like to update from my 2016 90D to a new long range Model S, but after all the battery crap, I just don't trust Tesla. No way will I purchase another of their cars because I don't know what level of degradation they may do to it in the future.

It surely is frustrating, and being able to trust what you are told is a big deal imo - but not high on Tesla's priority list apparently.

However, I believe a lot has been learned in quite a short period of time. My first non-Tesla EV battery showed approx 25% degredation over 3 years 30k miles. (Degredation - not theft, misrepresentation, over promising or whatever). Very similar same brand / newer battery tech second EV so far only 3% after 3 years 30k miles.

So far, 11k miles and 18 months, MS R LR appears to be holding up pretty well with no visible signs of deterioration in battery. Of course, the issue we are now aware of is that Tesla can tweak software to substantially disguise any potential evidence that might point towards anything untowards going on. Given that my range predicted by different measures is at least as good or even significantly better than when 'new', I don't feel too nervous. However, the notion that battery life might predict vehicle life does not sit well with me.

Raven LR Range 2.jpg

Hello!
As stated earlier e.g. in this post and also from my experience, the shown range indeed increased. But not the actual usable energy. It is cosmetic.

BR, Oaito.
You know, I'm wondering if the same is happening with pump loss, ie. pump running above 80% to bring the SOC below 80% (percentages may differ and are approximate). I don't see range loss any more, but pump still runs the same way, as the matter of fact, now it does not stop at 78%, but runs longer than that. I haven't figured out how long yet. So unless they figured out how to get energy out of nothing, I highly doubt it is not actually dropping SOC below it's target point.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
Not sure if there is any hard evidence for this, but I've read speculation that CAN busses could be encrypted or otherwise made unreadable. Imagine where this thread would be without SMT etc.

One really important outcome from lawsuit would be an obligation to ensure all vehicle internal busses to at least remain readable.