Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how you see that. First, the warranty has never said it would cover the contents, just the vehicle. And how is coordinating the inspection with the insurance company going back on anything?
It was one of the many things Elon stated when discussing safety and battery longevity. Its on the Tesla website or was at one time.

What Does the Tesla Model S Battery Warranty Cover? (teslarati.com)
The Tesla Model S’ Battery Is Now Covered By A Nearly Unconditional Warranty | TechCrunch

Cannot find the one about the contents, but will search later. I remember reading it.

Last edited:
At this point, NOTHING surprises me, unfortunately.
Lately, no matter WHERE I charge, and how long I drive and no matter how warm my S is, as of 2020.40.9.2 my maximum charge KW seems to be 72KW MAX. And it only lasts for about 1/2 of a second and drops to 62-64KW for a short time (couple of minutes) before going to the new norm of 36KW.
I made an appointment in the App. It was promptly cancelled with the standard bullshit line about for the longevity of the battery. They then had the bollocks to attach that standard insulting 'tutorial' on supercharging, like I am some kind of newbie moron who has not owned a Tesla since 2013. There was also a mention of the new models that they sell.
Feeling VERY betrayed and let down by their complete breakdown in customer service. This is NOT the Tesla we all helped BUILD from the ground up. Do I think they will voluntarily do the right thing? Hell no. They have had well over a year to do the right thing. Hell, they won't even ADMIT to what they did to us. I guess brand loyalty means SQUAT to them now.
If Tesla's behavior is surprising to you, perhaps you haven't followed Elon Musk long enough. He has always prided himself on pushing the limits of honesty. He patted himself on the back once for straddling the line of dishonesty when it came to Model S pricing in 2012. Only the State of California finding him in violation of advertising law, made him change it.

Elon pretends to care about those who helped get Tesla where it is. He plays lip service to this notion by thanking early adopters during pivotal moments. Except words are meaningless if not backed up with action. Musk's actions vis-à-vis Tesla have only shown disdain for early adopters. We are no longer seen as evangelists, but as obstacles and liabilities. Tesla needed us in the early days to spread good word and gloss over problems to get them to this place. We get nothing.

EDITED: Upon further review of my comment, I have decided it would have gotten me higher on Tesla's $hit list than I already am so I have removed it. I'm already a fine hair away from getting permanently banned from ever being able to purchase from Tesla again.
This is a sad statement. No car brand is worth subverting yourself in this manner. If Tesla refuses to sell you a car because you exercised your first amendment rights, find a way to blow that up. Go to the media, hire a high profile attorney, file a complaint with your state's AG office, whatever it takes.

This case is disturbing in a couple of ways..
1: it happened suddenly at normal speeds. No indication of an issue from BMS. Just Boom.
2: His battery was at 60%. So much for the nerf to 'protect the longevity the battery'.
3: Tesla seems to be going back on the promise made by Elon, that they would replace your Tesla and its contents if the battery caused the fire.

Why do I get the feeling that I am about to suddenly lose another 25% of my capacity "in an abundance of caution"?
This is getting plain out assinine.
Not enough is known about this incident to make any of these determinations. For all we know he hit something that penetrated the pack. We just don't know yet.

60% is weird, but might explain the fire. my battery stops draingating by 60% so Tesla might stop looking for thermal runaway that low. expect draingate below 60% next update!

I wish they would just uncap everything today. The fires aren't stopping regardless so all this is doing is opening the door for Tesla to get sued for warranty coverage for the next few years when batteries fail out of warranty but within the shady 2 year gates extension period.

60% is weird, but might explain the fire. my battery stops draingating by 60% so Tesla might stop looking for thermal runaway that low. expect draingate below 60% next update!

I wish they would just uncap everything today. The fires aren't stopping regardless so all this is doing is opening the door for Tesla to get sued for warranty coverage for the next few years when batteries fail out of warranty but within the shady 2 year gates extension period.

In the last few months, I've noticed twice my fans/pumps going off between 40-50% SoC off the 24amp AC charging. It might be more frequent ... I'm not there watching it being charged all the time.
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

• Informative
Reactions: gmo43 and Chaserr
Elon pretends to care about those who helped get Tesla where it is. He plays lip service to this notion by thanking early adopters during pivotal moments. Except words are meaningless if not backed up with action. Musk's actions vis-à-vis Tesla have only shown disdain for early adopters. We are no longer seen as evangelists, but as obstacles and liabilities. Tesla needed us in the early days to spread good word and gloss over problems to get them to this place.
100% this.

I got 2020.48.12.1 for my '15 70D on the 23th. No difference - I tried to SuC the 24th[/QUOTE]
Lots more people reporting significant improvements in Supercharging speed with 2020.48.26 in this Twitter thread - quick scan reveals 90D and 100D vehicles:
https://twitter.com/arctechinc/status/1344008152665083909

Nothing that I saw for other battery packs, but there's a chance that others may also have some improvements.

The President of the UK Owners Club has posted that Tesla have confirmed to him that 2020.48.26 has changed the car's software back to almost pre-chargegate levels. meaning those previously throttled (excluding a few) should now see greater charging speeds on superchargers.

How many "excluding a few" means is anyone's guess.
That means I will likely never see the update if it does roll stuff back :p Elon hates me (lol).

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr
The President of the UK Owners Club has posted that Tesla have confirmed to him that 2020.48.26 has changed the car's software back to almost pre-chargegate levels. meaning those previously throttled (excluding a few) should now see greater charging speeds on superchargers.

I'm not sure which is in greater need of explanation / justification - introduction of chargegate, or its (partial?) removal / reversal.

From what I've seen, it kind of makes sense that if the battery is capable of doing its job, then it can withstand the original charge rate. Or may be better argued the other way, that once a cell goes bad (resistive / shorty), reducing charge current isn't going to help (much).

Unlike capped voltage which does reduce stress on cells.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaserr
@Battpower chargegate, batterygate, draingate etc were reactions to some undisclosed fire related problem. If the problem is gone, the fire precautions can go, too. Chargegate would only stay if fast charging is the cause of the fires.

I suspect this means the bulk of batteries that needed to be recalled have already been quietly replaced and the rest of us were just victims of "an abundance of caution" - but not too much caution. A secret, non disclosed amount of abundance.

As long as it's over, hear hear!

Last edited:

Heh, I have that firmware on my 2016 MX, still capped at 74kW.

Chargegate would only stay if fast charging is the cause of the fires.

Agreed. That was my point too. So have the voltage caps been removed as well? I haven't seen any mention of that, and am therefore assuming that the reason for that cap still remains.

Also, I am not aware that fires were necessarily linked to vehicles during Supercharging, so one could conclude that charge rate was never a prime suspect directly leading to a failure. However, there is evidence that repeated Supercharging does stress batteries.

So lifting charge rate limits now suggests to me that they feel they have nursed older cars past warranty obligations and can leave it up to owners how they chose to use their cars with impunity.

@Battpower chargegate, batterygate, draingate etc were reactions to some undisclosed fire related problem. If the problem is gone, the fire precautions can go, too. Chargegate would only stay if fast charging is the cause of the fires.

I suspect this means the bulk of batteries that needed to be recalled have already been quietly replaced and the rest of us were just victims of "an abundance of caution" - but not too much caution. A secret, non disclosed amount of abundance.

As long as it's over, hear hear!
Or our 85-pack cars never get an update past 2020.48.12.1 instead.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and Chaserr

May be for 90's and 100's but not for S85's.