Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never seen 4.2V. But does that mean I’m capped or unaffected by the “gates”? Side note: car won’t let me charge past 98% warm or cold.

So your highest voltage cell reaching 4.2V (or whatever the cap is set at) leaves the rest of the cells at less than fully charged, hence the 98% SOC - part of your battery can't be charged because of the weakest cell reaching the max permitted voltage.

If you were voltage capped to less than 4.198V (or whatever your exact figure is) then charging would stop as soon as any cell reached the lower capped voltage (4.1V or less is not uncommon iirc) and the remainder of the cells would be left with even less stored energy.

Charge rate reduction you would notice reduction or compare your charge profile somewhere like this:

Fleet Charging MAX (Firmware)

These are maximum rates shown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke
S85 with CCS Upgrade downgraded to 2019.12.1.1 after CCS-Upgrade on V3 CCS-only Supercharger

Charging

Looking good, when factoring in ambient and battery temperature. - Is it just my browser, I do not see the cell temperature in the graph... Assuming this is from your car, congrats on being brave and resourcefully! :)

PS: When looking at the graphs at teslogger filtering S85 SuC it seems the 2019.16.x are even faster than 2019.12.1.1., albeit the damn max brick voltage cap! Do you know if it actually came even with 2019.16.1?

So your highest voltage cell reaching 4.2V (or whatever the cap is set at) leaves the rest of the cells at less than fully charged, hence the 98% SOC - part of your battery can't be charged because of the weakest cell reaching the max permitted voltage.
Yep - usable energy is dictated by the module with the lowest remaining energy in it - generally the module with the lowest voltage, unless that module has less capacity than others.

@random155 - what are your charging habits for your car? The imbalance does seem fairly high, unless you don't charge above 70-80%+ much.

Yep - usable energy is dictated by the module with the lowest remaining energy in it - generally the module with the lowest voltage, unless that module has less capacity than others.

@random155 - what are your charging habits for your car? The imbalance does seem fairly high, unless you don't charge above 70-80%+ much.
My normal charging habit is to charge about once or twice a week to 90%. I havent charged to 100% in a very long time, but have tried a few times in 2020(would only go to 98%) and again now with the same result. Most of the summer I charge at a supercharger but in the winter i use my HPWC.

The only one I need, to be able to sell it and not care ever again
I'm in the same boat. I would have sold last year if Tesla had announced the recall, but it looks like we're still waiting for the NHTSA to issue them another involuntary recall. I can't in good conscience sell a car to someone when I believe is a fire hazard. I'm still amazed Tesla has so many people willing to cover it up, but I can't be like them - and without a recall or a repair all I can say for certain is Tesla has officially gone on the record to confirm that due to a fire safety investigation my car must be treated with an abundance of caution and those cautionary effects caused significant impacts on its usability and resale value. This is the first car I have owned that I felt ethically unable to sell.

I'm looking forward to parking indoors again soon.

Last edited:
Assuming this is from your car, congrats on being brave and resourcefully!
Not my car, and ScanMyTesla integration was not active, therefore no cell temps. It is a normal S85 AutoPilot 0.
Hold on what? You were able to downgrade firmware?
Downgrade is possible - I do not have any details on how it's done. It has been done for approx 8 cars. I will ask my contact if it's ok to share how to reach him.

I felt ethically unable to sell.

I had a 2007 Toyota Rav 4 Diesel (UK) that put me in exactly the same situation. I couldn't believe what I found out about that engine and its problems across other manufacturers who used it and covered up issues. In the end my only way out was to trade in with a main dealership. I told them nothing but hid nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I have a 2014 P85D with 55,000 miles, I believe my range is 235 miles but the car charges very slowly compared to prior to the 2019 SW.
My SW is 2020.48.12.1. Does anyone know if my car will get the new SW that uncaps it?
Assuming my car has the fire potential , does anyone know what percentage of affected cars have burned, I keep this car in the garage and if the probability is high I will not keep it inside anymore.
Thanks John

I have a 2014 P85D with 55,000 miles, I believe my range is 235 miles but the car charges very slowly compared to prior to the 2019 SW.
My SW is 2020.48.12.1. Does anyone know if my car will get the new SW that uncaps it?
Assuming my car has the fire potential , does anyone know what percentage of affected cars have burned, I keep this car in the garage and if the probability is high I will not keep it inside anymore.
Thanks John

Dear John,

regarding charging speeds: so far there were a couple of 85 owners reporting of no better supercharging speeds after getting any version of the 2020.48.x Afaik all reports i could find last week of lifting DC current limits were either 90 or 100 battery packs.

And regarding probabilities of different conditions in your battery two notes:
- the first post is a wiki post which perhaps answers some of your questions.
- there were a couple of quite controversial discussions regarding the different possible conditions, for that matter search in this thread for the posts of @wk057 and you will find his exchange and interpretations and his experience based on hundreds of Tesla battery packs, which will give you even more information for a better judgement on your part.

BR! Oaito.

Thanks John

Wow, I thought for a second I wrote this post! I’m in exactly same (I do have 58Kmiles tough) situation.
So far supercharging speed is the same...slow. Just tried yesterday.

Dear John,

regarding charging speeds: so far there were a couple of 85 owners reporting of no better supercharging speeds after getting any version of the 2020.48.x Afaik all reports i could find last week of lifting DC current limits were either 90 or 100 battery packs.

And regarding probabilities of different conditions in your battery two notes:
- the first post is a wiki post which perhaps answers some of your questions.
- there were a couple of quite controversial discussions regarding the different possible conditions, for that matter search in this thread for the posts of @wk057 and you will find his exchange and interpretations and his experience based on hundreds of Tesla battery packs, which will give you even more information for a better judgement on your part.

BR! Oaito.
thanks, I will look at both . John