Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've said before, and I'll say again: This lawsuit will not go to trial. Even if Tesla were to prevail on a majority of the complaints, the optics of such a lawsuit would cast Tesla in a negative light. This trial would receive enormous publicity. It would be the tech version of David vs. Goliath with Goliath winning. Tesla does not want any discovery out in the open--discovery like how and why the Service Centers told us our batteries were normal when they were not; discovery like the software changes were "minor bug fixes and improvements;" discovery of how much (or little) research, development, testing, and analyzing the early batteries with and without thousands and thousands of kWh via Supercharging; internal emails and memos before, during, and after the suit was filed; the list would be pretty extensive. This suit would require dueling EE experts testifying about Tesla's design and manufacturing processes. No doubt a trial of this magnitude and complexity would last for months. The average citizen juror would be overwhelmed with a whole lot of physics and arcane warranty/consumer protection law.

Therefore, I believe that this class action will result in the dreaded negotiated settlement with Tesla neither confirming or denying all these accusations. Rather, "in the interest of expedience and fairness, Tesla will agree to do thus and such for all members of the affected class."

As to just how extensive and equitable any negotiated settlement will be, I do not feel that very many of the above will even be entertained by either side. It will be simple and easily understood by us members. It may only be some cash; it may be a combination of cash and a discounted replacement battery; it may be a trade-in on a new car with a special discounted price. I think it will boil down to who blinks first.

Very much agreed.

As I wrote above with my stipulation on what Tesla has been up to, we still have lots of capped cars vs. those that have been uncapped to some degree. These capped cars need to have been already uncapped (released from the dragnet if they are not fire hazard) OR their batteries need to be replaced per Tesla's diagnostic tools by now. They just can't be left capped beyond the conclusion of this class action effort. A separate monetary goodwill is not only expected but by no means is the remedy as a whole.

Last edited:
I've said before, and I'll say again: This lawsuit will not go to trial. Even if Tesla were to prevail on a majority of the complaints, the optics of such a lawsuit would cast Tesla in a negative light. This trial would receive enormous publicity. It would be the tech version of David vs. Goliath with Goliath winning. Tesla does not want any discovery out in the open--discovery like how and why the Service Centers told us our batteries were normal when they were not; discovery like the software changes were "minor bug fixes and improvements;" discovery of how much (or little) research, development, testing, and analyzing the early batteries with and without thousands and thousands of kWh via Supercharging; internal emails and memos before, during, and after the suit was filed; the list would be pretty extensive. This suit would require dueling EE experts testifying about Tesla's design and manufacturing processes. No doubt a trial of this magnitude and complexity would last for months. The average citizen juror would be overwhelmed with a whole lot of physics and arcane warranty/consumer protection law.

Therefore, I believe that this class action will result in the dreaded negotiated settlement with Tesla neither confirming or denying all these accusations. Rather, "in the interest of expedience and fairness, Tesla will agree to do thus and such for all members of the affected class."

As to just how extensive and equitable any negotiated settlement will be, I do not feel that very many of the above will even be entertained by either side. It will be simple and easily understood by us members. It may only be some cash; it may be a combination of cash and a discounted replacement battery; it may be a trade-in on a new car with a special discounted price. I think it will boil down to who blinks first.
sadly, very true.
(not for the trial part, I neither believe it would go to trial, nor I would hope it goes to trial)

"Most". Sorry. No. Ours is 95% original range. This issue hasn't been quantified in this entire thread with factual evidence of the number of affected cars, and certainly not to the certainty of "most". I completely understand the frustration for those affected, but there are perhaps a large number of unaffected cars with owners not posting (like I am). Beware the false equivalent of thinking this forum thread represents a majority, or even a sizable percentage of owners.
Sorry, no, I don't get it. Sounds like you are saying that only people who have a problem are coming to this forum, and that implies that it's a small percentage of owners who are affected.
You are right that it hasn't been quantified, so while we don't know if most cars have been affected, we also do not know that most have not. You could be in minority, or majority. There is someone who can clear that up real easily, but won't. After all, if it's such a small number of owners, then it's an easy problem to solve, but hasn't been solved yet.

Tesla fighting the MCU recall makes me realize this battery issue will be fought even harder.
Tesla is fighting MCU recall by discounting the MCU upgrade (2500->1500) seems like customers are wiling to go for it! Not only does Tesla avoid having to fix the MCU1 they also get revenue and avoid all the work related to swapping MCU memory chip.

I think they'll fight the battery "recall" by offering deep discounted battery upgrades.

• Informative
Reactions: krouebi
Tesla is fighting MCU recall by discounting the MCU upgrade (2500->1500) seems like customers are wiling to go for it! Not only does Tesla avoid having to fix the MCU1 they also get revenue and avoid all the work related to swapping MCU memory chip.

I think they'll fight the battery "recall" by offering deep discounted battery upgrades.

I would be ok with a deep discount towards a new Tesla as well

Tesla fighting the MCU recall makes me realize this battery issue will be fought even harder.
It tells us exactly how they officially handle Safety Recalls. Ignore, Deny, Software software ad nauseum, upgrades, cheaper upgrades, then recall as a very last resort and only under threat of legal repercussions.

I have begged Tesla to let me help pay for my part to alleviate their financial burden. When upgrades are finally offered I'm going to put my wallet where my keyboard has been these last 2 years.

Tesla, you know it's coming better than we do. You sold upgrades years ago already. Do it again - some of us will help and it will prove you are about sustainable - not disposable - energy while making roads and garages safer. There aren't any down sides. If you're worried about unlimited supercharge cars on the road forever, knock the $2000 it used to cost off the upgrade price if we give it up.

Then I'll sell the car and get a new one with a clear conscience. I don't want a single penny from a class action. I want official proof the flaws are repaired and my car is safe to park inside and near public buildings, and safe to sell without worrying about what will happen to the new owner if they drive, charge, and park it without an abundance of caution.

Last edited:

I'm not paying 2k for a working MCU + radio... Betting lots more are thinking the same. Just a matter of time until the recall hits. Hopefully the same with the battery issue. A deep discount for a battery upgrade of 10k will not suffice.

but I'll pay that $10k so Tesla can keep making better cars.

If I would have $10k lying around I rather invest them... into TSLA shares. I am still paying the debt from buying the car in 2015, I was a believer the car will still have high value after 250000km and six years and would be kind of an investment. I thought shares would be more risky. There are only a few decisions in my life whom turned out to be similar wrong.

I understand your sentiment, but I'll pay that $10k so Tesla can keep making better cars. Tesla needs an intervention and some tough love but when they make amends I want to be there as well. The goodness can still be there, buried under recent deceptions.

Hmmm How much tough love is there is in them breaking even for bad behavior?

Look at them like a child who made some abusive criminal choices while intoxicated. They are at a crossroads - do you abandon them without intervention or try to help them find their back to becoming a productive part of the family and society? If they continue the abuses I cut them off and wish them a good life from afar, but I will help them pay for rehab if they are willing to give themself one more chance. They just need to prove they made mistakes and the abuses aren't who they will always be.

Tesla wasn't always like this. It doesn't always have to be like this.

If I would have $10k lying around I rather invest them... into TSLA shares. I am still paying the debt from buying the car in 2015, I was a believer the car will still have high value after 250000km and six years and would be kind of an investment. I thought shares would be more risky. There are only a few decisions in my life whom turned out to be similar wrong.

to think that a car is an investment at all is completely futile. just for future reference.

to think that a car is an investment at all is completely futile. just for future reference.
Oh but I have had many fanboys tell me that the value of their model 3's will go up because they will become revenue generators as self driving taxis in early 2020. A coworker bought 2 in 2019 because of this thought. Donated his reliable Toyotas to charity in the process.

Another interesting myth is that less moving parts than a gas car therefore more reliable and lower cost of ownership. How is that working out for people outside of warranty? That tells you how little they understand about evolved and refined parts in ice cars vs new components in EVs. In their comparison they are treating them like equals just fewer of them.

Another interesting myth is that less moving parts than a gas car therefore more reliable and lower cost of ownership. How is that working out for people outside of warranty? That tells you how little they understand about evolved and refined parts in ice cars vs new components in EVs. In their comparison they are treating them like equals just fewer of them.

I would have to disagree. I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf, and that is the most reliable car I have ever own. Except the battery degradation I had zero issue at 93k miles.

Tesla maintenance is expensive because not too many shops are doing it. I complained to a neighbor about the $280 to replace the 12V battery on the Model S. He told me that it cost him more on his GMC and it does not last much longer due to a lot of city driving his wife does. It all depends, but it is nothing new about electric motors charger and inverters. At work I have motor, inverter, charger systems that worked with minimal maintenance for over a decade. The batteries are new tech.

And back to the subject, I charged at 90% this morning after a long time of not going over 75%. I was surprised that the pumps were barely making any noise. Something changed, it is 37F outside but the garage was still above 50F.

Oh but I have had many fanboys tell me that the value of their model 3's will go up because they will become revenue generators as self driving taxis in early 2020. A coworker bought 2 in 2019 because of this thought. Donated his reliable Toyotas to charity in the process.

Less maintenance = instead of doing oil changes you replace the entire $20k battery.

Naaa I'm my opinion. I'll never buy another Tesla.
An on top, make sure that no-one who asks you about it, buys one as well. Not of course that they have not already established themselves as a low-medium quality manufacturer with a pimp attitude, but lets make sure we make it super clear to any poor guy who looks like us, but 5 years ago