Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the latest and greatest software update a couple weeks ago. I had to make a 100-mile round trip today. I noticed that the declining percentage rate seemed to be less than before. I switched to miles at 50%, and my range miles were 125, or 250 @ 100%.

I did the math: (260 wh/mile)(46 estimated miles remaining)/.16 [SOC] resulted in 74.75 kWh estimate when I stopped to Supercharge. No increase in charge rates, alas.

Before the great black hole software downgrade from 18 months ago, my range was consistently around 254-256 miles @100%.

Someday I will charge to see if I can reach 100%.

That is all.

I installed the latest and greatest software update a couple weeks ago. I had to make a 100-mile round trip today. I noticed that the declining percentage rate seemed to be less than before. I switched to miles at 50%, and my range miles were 125, or 250 @ 100%.

I did the math: (260 wh/mile)(46 estimated miles remaining)/.16 [SOC] resulted in 74.75 kWh estimate when I stopped to Supercharge. No increase in charge rates, alas.

Before the great black hole software downgrade from 18 months ago, my range was consistently around 254-256 miles @100%.

Someday I will charge to see if I can reach 100%.

That is all.

Yours:
70.75 kWh Usable capacity
~8% Capacity loss since new

Mine:
67.56 kWh Usable capacity
~12.2% Capacity loss since new

Many were also empathetic, as community typically is.

I have empathy, although that is a non-factual emotion, I am certainly glad to also experience this myself on behalf of all those affected, I am truly sorry for this issue and for the limited communication Tesla has provided.

But, I am more focused on the factual information discussed which can be of use to the community.

I take an analytical engineering/science based approach, and I do have trouble with claims "everyone experienced this", when there is no factual basis for these continued claims. If you like your eco chamber of non-factual claims, fine, but that's you not me.

It's very important this issue doesn't become a war of us vs them. My replies are not emotive on purpose, that doesn't move this issue forward.

I'm glad your car is doing good though, I just wonder if it is a Tesla.

It is. Bought our Model S when there was a handful of superchargers in Canada, I was truly one of the early adopters here. I bought my first EV in 2013 when there were 1000 total in all of Canada.
Smart ED and CPO Tesla S85 in Toronto

I'm glad your car is doing good though, I just wonder if it is a Tesla.
He's the reason we know the gates are likely caused by a difference between A batteries and later hardware. A is completely unaffected, while the later batteries are greatly crippled. This tels us the defect is in the physical differences, or in the software induced effects of those physical differences (for example, higher speed charging over years of time)

Which makes me once again remember on the coincidence of V2 supercharge speeds being increased to 140kW right before the gates cut those speeds in half. A batteries wouldn't have seen the increased charge speeds or any potential deletrious effects if there were any.

Last edited:
I have empathy, although that is a non-factual emotion, I am certainly glad to also experience this myself on behalf of all those affected, I am truly sorry for this issue and for the limited communication Tesla has provided.

But, I am more focused on the factual information discussed which can be of use to the community.

I take an analytical engineering/science based approach, and I do have trouble with claims "everyone experienced this", when there is no factual basis for these continued claims. If you like your eco chamber of non-factual claims, fine, but that's you not me.

It's very important this issue doesn't become a war of us vs them. My replies are not emotive on purpose, that doesn't move this issue forward.

It is. Bought our Model S when there was a handful of superchargers in Canada, I was truly one of the early adopters here. I bought my first EV in 2013 when there were 1000 total in all of Canada.
Smart ED and CPO Tesla S85 in Toronto

SmartElectric, it is your tone. It is your choice of words. Many of your posts come across as condescending, smug, or argumentative. You don't have to curry favor with us. You don't have to agree with us. Your contrary points of view are welcome, in fact. However, you seem (to me, anyway) that you are not all consistent with your "analytical engineering/science based approach." You know you have an A series battery. You know that the rest of have B and beyond series batteries. You know that A series batteries are limited to 90kW Supercharging while the later versions could utilize up to the mythical 140kW.

The analyst/engineer/scientist would ask how my battery differs from the rest. We've pointed this out a number of times to you that your battery is not like ours. We have presented our facts to the community. We are upset. We are frustrated. If sometimes we overreact or use bothersome absolute terms in your opinion, let it go and focus on the facts. Instead, much of your dialogue is on impeaching us as if we are now under cross-examination.

Look, I am not proposing that we all hold hands while intoning Kumbaya. But understanding and appreciating the points of view from others (the textbook definition of empathy) is not inconsistent "with moving things forward." My impression is that you are a callous and stoic person. That is OK with me. I prefer not to behave this way, but I fully understand that some people do.

Like many things in interpersonal communications, it is not what you say, it is how you say it. :)

If my account were unlocked, I could post exact details on this issue now (condition X+Z).

Alas, this is not the case.

Keep an eye on my social media, as I'll have to post this elsewhere. Posting this note here (and hoping some mod actually approves it) since this is highly relevant to this thread and topic.

(Edit: I honestly didn't expect this post to ever show up. First one approved in a month.)

Last edited:
If my account were unlocked, I could post exact details on this issue now (condition X+Z).

Keep an eye on my social media, as I'll have to post this elsewhere. Posting this note here (and hoping some mod actually approves it) since this is highly relevant to this thread and topic.

(Edit: I honestly didn't expect this post to ever show up. First one approved in a month.)
Welcome back!
I’m curious on that XZ story, but also as to why now it’s ok for you to talk about it.

Anyway, looking forward to read your posts.

I have read every post in this thread, and unless some of wk057s posts were removed before I saw them, I have not seen anything that I believe should have caused him to not be able to post openly. Given that Tesla has not been forthcoming to say the least, on this issue, it leaves owners, try to figure out on their own what is happing to their cars, which naturally leads to speculation, some of which can be completely off base. Aside from the battery knowledgable people from Germany, that seldom post here, wk057 is the only person I know of that actually has, hands on, first person, experience working with these batteries, and does post in this thread. I, and I am sure many others, consider his input significant, and would like to see his ability to post here, in real time, restored.

Welcome back!
I’m curious on that XZ story, but also as to why now it’s ok for you to talk about it.

Anyway, looking forward to read your posts.

I have read every post in this thread, and unless some of wk057s posts were removed before I saw them, I have not seen anything that I believe should have caused him to not be able to post openly. Given that Tesla has not been forthcoming to say the least, on this issue, it leaves owners, try to figure out on their own what is happing to their cars, which naturally leads to speculation, some of which can be completely off base. Aside from the battery knowledgable people from Germany, that seldom post here, wk057 is the only person I know of that actually has, hands on, first person, experience working with these batteries, and does post in this thread. I, and I am sure many others, consider his input significant, and would like to see his ability to post here, in real time, restored.

Thanks for the kind notes. While I'll be working on finishing my writeup this weekend, it likely will not be posted here.

Not to derail the thread with my account issues (to keep this thread on topic, you can discuss in this other thread about that, if desired, but since no one seems to approve my messages there anymore I probably can't comment), but I probably will be posting elsewhere this weekend since I a) can't be sure my posts will be approved and/or survive here indefinitely, and b) I can't interact with folks in anywhere close to real time even if I could get such a post through, which will be a problem for such a post for sure. So, keep an eye on my twitter I suppose, since I will probably link from there to wherever I post. It'll only be posted here if my account is unrestricted by the time I get finished my writeup (probably Sunday).

Overall, the support I've received from the TMC and Tesla community as a whole has been tremendous and kind. I've gotten countless messages from folks who are super confused at the present situation with my account. Also, for those who are curious, the Snippiness thread from September still has the posts of mine that somehow resulted in this adverse action. I trust you'll be as confused as I.

Frankly, the only people who have campaigned for my continued silence have been a couple of folks from this thread, and apparently the admin/owner of this forum bought into it. I _really_ wanted to give him a pass on this, because I know he hasn't actually looked into the situation in any detail... because if he had, it'd be obvious to any reasonable person that there should be no issue here... but a recent comment seems to prove that either he doesn't care, and/or hasn't actually looked into things at all... or both. Neither of which is a great look at this point. If I'd really done something to warrant 5 months of restrictions on my account, I'd like to know what it is. Seems to just be the case of the loudest voices getting what they want, regardless of how much sense those demands make.

I wish there were something I could do to correct this, but I'm out of ideas. I've sent so many notes over the past few months to admins/mods about the situation that I'm just beating a dead horse. Clearly there's no intention to unlock my account for some reason, and as conceited as it may sound, I've accepted that it's the forum's loss... not mine. It's sad, but it is what it is. In the meantime, I've occasionally glanced at this thread and... well good Lord there is more misinformation here than ever before and there's nothing I can do about it. Even when I try to post in this thread during a discussion, my posts just get buried even if they're eventually approved. It's pointless.

My apologies to those who are interested in my comments/thoughts on topics in this thread. I tried, but it's just not helpful to post much while my account is nearly useless. Maybe a moderator that still has some sense could agree to auto approve my posts or something.

In any case, I'll be working on my writeup this weekend. I just wanted to try and let the folks here know it was coming. Glad that post was (surprisingly) approved. As it looks now, I will not be posting my doc here, but maybe staff will surprise me and come to their senses before then. Until then, I'm off.

smithers-release-the-knowledge.jpg

(Again, let's not derail this thread with chat about my TMC account. Discuss that here in this other thread instead, please. Thanks.)

Last edited:
I agree 100% with this statement. Enough to click the 'like' button and say so!

I've been been through the 7 stages of grief with this thing:
  1. Shock that the OTA upgrade borked my car
  2. Denial that there was any range loss (it's just cold out)
  3. Guilt for all those time times I Supercharged or charged to 100%
  4. Bargaining with Service to look at the battery
  5. Anger at Tesla for their duplicitous communication ("An abundance of caution")
  6. Depression that my P85 now had a 180 mile range
  7. Acceptance of a reman pack under warranty that got me back to 245 mile of range
I finally sold my car this week--I will miss it but didn't want to own it without any warranty. Now I am just here to see how the story ends.

Don't make as wait too much longer @wk057 :)