Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wk057 Thanks for all the info. I have one of the affected batteries in my 11/14 MS85. Im running 2021.4.6 now (new MCU2 upgrade) and was wondering if my issue of not being able to charge to 100% over the past year was a result of the issue you discovered. My range hasn't really decreased since I purchased used in March of 2019 but the car won't charge over 98%. Im currently attempting right now under new software to see how it goes.

Here are my numbers after a “100%” charge. Looks like it only got close to 99%. I’m on 2021.4.6

Attachments

• 4537D30C-315C-40B0-A01E-B17DDED612BE.jpeg
    4537D30C-315C-40B0-A01E-B17DDED612BE.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 2F15DE00-FD88-407A-A1A6-436580B37682.jpeg
    2F15DE00-FD88-407A-A1A6-436580B37682.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 429C4321-4D5A-430E-ABB4-222247AD8EBA.jpeg
    429C4321-4D5A-430E-ABB4-222247AD8EBA.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 32E0844C-44ED-436E-9935-24D6BC464278.jpeg
    32E0844C-44ED-436E-9935-24D6BC464278.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Informative
Reactions: fbitz777
Have an exact version?

Latest in my fleet is 2020.48.37.1 (332984f3b038) and a preliminarily review doesn't appear to show any BMS changes of note vs versions from the past few months.

Edit: Looks like I'm a little behind, and there are finally some 2021.x versions popping up. I don't have any of those yet to analyze, however.
Same version you stated. Odd that it would give low estimate charge after such update. 2020.48 etc

After a few hours of sitting the cell imbalance went down to about 4 mV
even 9mv across 96 bricks is actually fairly decent. When it gets above 15 mV and doesn't correct over time, is when it is starting to get high. Balance will go off a bit more if doing things such as a road trip, where it's drained and filled multiple times in short order. As the BMS can't keep up with equalizing everything out.

I vaguely remember Tesloop having issues with this, due to the constant use, and nearly 100% supercharging. It got so bad on a few cars Tesla just up and replaced the pack (They wont do this now, instead they will attempt to equalize it out in the service center, and only replace if it cant be balanced).

My charge port died. I knew it was going to because it was taking a while to pull the pin and then this morning during my last supercharge it took about 30 seconds. Little did I know that was the very last time the charge port would work. If it hadn't, I would have had to be towed.

So I get home with 56% left which is not enough to get to my MCU2 upgrade appointment tomorrow morning in Fremont. So I attempt to charge and it fails to pull the pin back. Not even with a manual release of the pin. I try over and over and get an "unable to charge" message on the IC.

So I pull out my Revision O charge port that I bought brand new last year for $79 on ebay(my original revision is H). I installed according to the FSM. Plug HV back in and 12v and it boots up. "Unable to drive" and "Unable to charge" and "Needs software update" messages :( I knew the port would probably need an update but was hoping it would work anyways.

Plugged old port back in and car is at least drivable. Thought about driving most of the way tomorrow and then getting towed. Decided to try the new port one more time in case maybe everything wasn't plugged in all the way.

At this point I pulled an "purely emotional act" Galileo Seven move and pressed the "install now" on the yellow clock that has been staged since April of last year.

Took 45 minutes to install but it came back up drivable and the new charge port working fine. Since I was already going to get new software with MCU2, I figure the most I had to lose was the possibility that my BMS might decide to hobble my battery in a way I was hoping might not happen if I got straight from V8 to the latest V10. No rational basis for that hope.

Supercharging speed changes have nothing to do with the range loss issue, as noted.
Reduced regen at low temps is likely the result of the "Abundance of caution" update (2019.20.something I believe) which tweaked some thermal tolerances a little. The effect should be pretty negligible, however.
Not sure on reduced cabin cooling. Biggest issue I've seen on that front with older Model S is refrigerant loss causing the A/C system to not work well. Culprit is usually an o-ring on one of the condensers, or a leaky schrader valve.
Thanks for the info!
Cooling issue started after 2019.16. Worked great prior to May '19. Air is cold, but fan gets very stingy when its hot outside, it's like it deliberately runs at 3 when it should be running at 7 on auto. One time it literally dropped fan speed from 11 to 8 while in manual mode?!?! Then the other day, outside is 60, I have it set at 68 and its pumping crazy cold air into the cabin. Sometimes front two vents in the center will blow different temperature air (dual mode not on). SC finds nothing wrong with it on two occasions - I'll assume they did run some test. It just seems to be prioritizing battery over cabin as soon as temp is 90 or above, especially if the car has been sitting in the sun.
Do you think o-ring on one of the condensers, or a leaky schrader valve can be the issue, or take a look at something else?

Reactions: gmo43
My charge port died. I knew it was going to because it was taking a while to pull the pin and then this morning during my last supercharge it took about 30 seconds. Little did I know that was the very last time the charge port would work. If it hadn't, I would have had to be towed.

So I get home with 56% left which is not enough to get to my MCU2 upgrade appointment tomorrow morning in Fremont. So I attempt to charge and it fails to pull the pin back. Not even with a manual release of the pin. I try over and over and get an "unable to charge" message on the IC.

So I pull out my Revision O charge port that I bought brand new last year for $79 on ebay(my original revision is H). I installed according to the FSM. Plug HV back in and 12v and it boots up. "Unable to drive" and "Unable to charge" and "Needs software update" messages :( I knew the port would probably need an update but was hoping it would work anyways.

Plugged old port back in and car is at least drivable. Thought about driving most of the way tomorrow and then getting towed. Decided to try the new port one more time in case maybe everything wasn't plugged in all the way.

At this point I pulled an "purely emotional act" Galileo Seven move and pressed the "install now" on the yellow clock that has been staged since April of last year.

Took 45 minutes to install but it came back up drivable and the new charge port working fine. Since I was already going to get new software with MCU2, I figure the most I had to lose was the possibility that my BMS might decide to hobble my battery in a way I was hoping might not happen if I got straight from V8 to the latest V10. No rational basis for that hope.
I wonder if the software upgrade from v8 to v10 is the reason this worked or would just any software re-deploy allow for a new chargeport to sync to the car. Anyone know this?

I wonder if the software upgrade from v8 to v10 is the reason this worked or would just any software re-deploy allow for a new chargeport to sync to the car. Anyone know this?
Software updates can do a couple different things. One, it can be like a "driver update", allowing the car to communicate better to new hardware that has a different design. Second, it can also provision hardware. Example, Car is expecting Part with serial number XXXX, and now that part is gone and it sees a part with XXXZ, so the update allows it to provision that hardware to allow it to be used.

yeah, I've got no clue why its so delayed. I got mine last week too. Interesting you saw the same short term effect also. I guess, as long as no permanent backwards changes, it's ok :) spent enough time on those.

yup, also took almost 3 hours to go from 40% to 99%. So still unable to get the fast supercharging and still short on battery capacity. Hell at this point I have accepted the loss of range/capacity. TESLA!!! AT LEAST GIVE ME BACK MY FAST SUPERCHARGING!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info!
Cooling issue started after 2019.16. Worked great prior to May '19. Air is cold, but fan gets very stingy when its hot outside, it's like it deliberately runs at 3 when it should be running at 7 on auto. One time it literally dropped fan speed from 11 to 8 while in manual mode?!?! Then the other day, outside is 60, I have it set at 68 and its pumping crazy cold air into the cabin. Sometimes front two vents in the center will blow different temperature air (dual mode not on). SC finds nothing wrong with it on two occasions - I'll assume they did run some test. It just seems to be prioritizing battery over cabin as soon as temp is 90 or above, especially if the car has been sitting in the sun.
Do you think o-ring on one of the condensers, or a leaky schrader valve can be the issue, or take a look at something else?

Yeah thats the other nagging issue. After supercharging for hours. I drive back home, SOC is about 80% fans are running for hours to only drain by battery all day long for days. Sometimes it has reached to the low 40% before I dont hear it run. This never happened pre 2019 update. Again I aint no wk057 but hell sure that aint normal, even when we owned ICE we could tell different noises coming from those cars and knew something was wrong,

Yeah thats the other nagging issue. After supercharging for hours. I drive back home, SOC is about 80% fans are running for hours to only drain by battery all day long for days. Sometimes it has reached to the low 40% before I dont hear it run. This never happened pre 2019 update. Again I aint no wk057 but hell sure that aint normal, even when we owned ICE we could tell different noises coming from those cars and knew something was wrong,

I've never arrived home with anything close to 80% after supercharging and only charge at home right before a trip. I don't think I'd leave a battery sitting around at 80% or higher. Most I've gone for just sitting around is 70%.

That said, I'd be pretty irritated if I'm charging to 90% and it hits that earlier than expected like an hour before I leave and then drains down to 88% just before leaving.

Does this behavior happen at 50 or 60%?

FYI, got to Fremont this morning no issues. I checked the CANBUS data. Range is still unaffected at this time at 73 kWh available(down from 4kWh since new). So far it's the same before and after the update. I wouldn't be surprised if I had to charge to full and go low before the new algorithms kick in.

I do like being able to set a departure time rather than a charge start time. However, this morning the battery heater was going and drained me from 90% to 89% over 30 minutes. Normally I run the battery heater manually when it's cold in the morning before taking off with "max battery" mode. I don't let it get to "max battery temp" which is 111F, but usually around 90F and then I turn the heater back off. I guess all these song and dance things I do to manage the battery can now be done better by the BMS....hopefully.

FYI, got to Fremont this morning no issues. I checked the CANBUS data. Range is still unaffected at this time at 73 kWh available(down from 4kWh since new). So far it's the same before and after the update. I wouldn't be surprised if I had to charge to full and go low before the new algorithms kick in.

I do like being able to set a departure time rather than a charge start time. However, this morning the battery heater was going and drained me from 90% to 89% over 30 minutes. Normally I run the battery heater manually when it's cold in the morning before taking off with "max battery" mode. I don't let it get to "max battery temp" which is 111F, but usually around 90F and then I turn the heater back off. I guess all these song and dance things I do to manage the battery can now be done better by the BMS....hopefully.
Welcome back to the mothership