Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess no one knows anything about the emasculation of the 90 batteries.

I and other have asked several times about this, even specifically addressing the only person who seems to have in-depth knowledge of the other Tesla batteries, and have had no responses.

Maybe there aren't all that many 90 batteries out there, but we suffer from the same charge reductions as others, and an even more draconian taper. Our charging times almost doubled from what they were before, but I guess we're the orphans no one wants to talk about.

Our cars were even more expensive than a similarly equipped 85 battery of the time. Why the lack of interest? We've been screwed by Tesla like most other early owners.

The ironic thing is that this will lead me to behaviors that will NOT be good for the battery in order to compensate. I'm going to charge to 100% every time I leave on a trip from home or a location where I destination charged to reduce time I spend at the first supercharger.

For example, if I'm going on a long trip and I only need 50% to get from the hotel to the first charger of that leg, I'd charge to 65%. Now I will absolutely just to charge to 100% every time especially if it means I can bypass that first charger.

In the past, I only ever charged to 100% when there was no way to make the next leg without. That ends now.

Additionally, non starting legs between superchargers, I will definitely be shooting for 5% rather than 15% as the target level at SC arrival.

The result is that reducing supercharger rate will drastically widen the SOC range I operate in.

The ironic thing is that this will lead me to behaviors that will NOT be good for the battery in order to compensate. I'm going to charge to 100% every time I leave on a trip from home or a location where I destination charged to reduce time I spend at the first supercharger.

For example, if I'm going on a long trip and I only need 50% to get from the hotel to the first charger of that leg, I'd charge to 65%. Now I will absolutely just to charge to 100% every time especially if it means I can bypass that first charger.

In the past, I only ever charged to 100% when there was no way to make the next leg without. That ends now.

Additionally, non starting legs between superchargers, I will definitely be shooting for 5% rather than 15% as the target level at SC arrival.

The result is that reducing supercharger rate will drastically widen the SOC range I operate in.

Exactly. That's been my plan all along. Who wants to sit at a SuC for below CHAdeMO speed for hours.

Exactly. That's been my plan all along. Who wants to sit at a SuC for below CHAdeMO speed for hours.

And I guess the other scenario is the long trip where we stop to each for an hour while supercharging. In those cases I'd also just charge enough to get to the next supercharger and then leave during the meal to move the car. Now I'll just keep the slider at 100% and not have my meal interrupted leaving us close to 100% when we come back to the car.

I would like to report. After FOUR YEARS & 10 MONTHS of my 2019 MS90D being capped at 94kW charge rate (V1 90 pack) (It's been limited to 94kW since about second month of ownership, as Tesla stated at the time, I supercharged too much), I picked up my car Monday from the Body Shop after getting T-Boned on the Freeway December 29th in Chicago. This is the first supercharger session since getting the car back and it's Update to Firmware10.2 from one of the last versions of 8.1. My 94kW limit has been lifted, it now charges at 112 kW. It may see higher rates if I can get higher temps, but even that is nearly a 20% increase in charge rate! And it held from about 5% SOC and stayed about 110kW until about 40%, about 100kW at 50% before it dropped to about 64kW. I'm ecstatic! What a fast stop to get home last night!!!!!

Doesn't address the V1 90pack degradation though, but it's a start! 248 Rated Miles @ 100% SOC no voltage cap. Pack capacity is 72.5 kWh. Vehicle has 101,000 Miles.

And I guess the other scenario is the long trip where we stop to each for an hour while supercharging. In those cases I'd also just charge enough to get to the next supercharger and then leave during the meal to move the car. Now I'll just keep the slider at 100% and not have my meal interrupted leaving us close to 100% when we come back to the car.
Yep, been setting charging to 100% and enjoying my meal and/or shopping though all of this because I never get past 97% :rolleyes:

yep this is what I already have to do. I have to always SuC to as close to 100% as possible. My goal is to skip the next charger if possible. Used to be that operating at low SOC and only charging enough to make it to the next one was viable strategy. Now I find that skipping as many chargers as you can, with an overnight destination charge thrown in to skip a SuC stop, is more desirable.

I just gave up on the charging issue and upgraded my 85D to a 100D. Now I get 140kW. Problem solved. :p
In that case Tesla should upgrade our batteries to 100 and they can cap as they did before. Then I could care less if they had to do this to remedy a soldering to a board or whatever the excuse is. Give me my damn capacity/range, supercharging speed and less drain like it was before. (not you tesla) since they say it be impossible to upgrade packs. Bs

Edit: spelling. My grammar sucks. As english is my second language.

In that case Tesla should upgrade our batteries to 100 and they can cap as they did before. Then I could care less if they had to do this to remedy a soldering to a board or whatever the excuse is. Give me my damn capacity/range, supercharging speed and less drain like it was before. (not you tesla) since they say it be impossible to upgrade packs. Bs

Yes that poor soldering and all the excuses and 2 years lost on range and time wasted at SuC is probably worth an upgrade. Saying you have to drive xxk miles or so many months to recover is also ridiculous.
I am surprised Tesla is not "offering" some compensation as goodwill.

Physically, all of the S/X packs are interchangeable. One of my customers has a 2012 Signature Performance S #S0003X... and it has AP1, a 100 kWh pack from 2020, and a front drive unit retrofit. (NO... I'm NEVER doing another front DU retrofit again... ever!) It's basically an AP1 P100D now in Sig S clothing. He supercharges at ~140kW, and has P100D performance. Granted, all of that work+parts cost him more than just selling and buying a P100D, but he loves his Sig S.

There are some firmware related gotchas (such as Tesla has never released firmware for a RWD 100 or P100 variant), as well as suspension differences between the 14-module packs, 16-module packs, and 100 packs (not an issue if you have air suspension). Nothing that Tesla couldn't quickly remedy to make all packs interchangeable.

That's a lot of degradation! My 90 pack, while still stuck at 94 kWh and less for supercharging, reports 243 miles range at 90%.
Yes it is! The response from Tesla is either "It's wearing normally" or "We don't have enough data with that battery at that mileage to make a determination of abnormal wear".

Though, that's what, 16% degradation in 5 years, 101,000 miles.