Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For you pumpgate victims, do the pumps run constantly at a high SOC if the car is plugged in and the charge timer is off and the slider is set to roughly the current SOC? I.e do the pumps run and keep the battery at the same SOC with the car plugged in?
Doesn't seem to. It'll charge to the set soc, stop charging, and immediately start draining. It can lose 5% before i get to it.

For you pumpgate victims, do the pumps run constantly at a high SOC if the car is plugged in and the charge timer is off and the slider is set to roughly the current SOC? I.e do the pumps run and keep the battery at the same SOC with the car plugged in?

In my experience, the pumps run regardless of being plugged-in or not. I've also noticed, once or twice, that they run even when I charge to 50% on AC.

• Informative
Reactions: mymagiccarpet
We know what they think is reasonable, the new warranties say 70% retention over 8 years.
Yes except I am NOT aware of any cars on this forum that even got close to loosing 30 percent range (I am at 10percent after 4 years/55k miles). I wonder what's better: Our warranties with Tesla saying it's all normal or the new one where it can't be disputed (they display the rated range)

Either way Tesla will not have to replace many batteries.

Reactions: Droschke and Guy V
Yes except I am NOT aware of any cars on this forum that even got close to loosing 30 percent range (I am at 10percent after 4 years/55k miles). I wonder what's better: Our warranties with Tesla saying it's all normal or the new one where it can't be disputed (they display the rated range)

I keep looking forward to there being enough experience data so we can all know what to expect for real-world battery life. When I first purchased I knew this was a big experiment and was prepared for much worse. It seemed that range was holding up remarkably well over years, then with one update a huge drop.

It isn't that the resulting range is terrible or unusable compared to original expectations, it's that now, after several years, the future is totally unpredictable again, warranties are expiring and Tesla still offers no reasonable battery replacement program.

My car lost a touch over 30% -- dropped to theoretical 180 miles of rated range at 100%. Once it crossed the 30%, the car threw an error and Tesla replaced the pack with a reman pack under warranty.

Reactions: fbitz777
Line 195 "The real" (3 sentences) THIS is my problem with this issue. I HAD the range available prior to them “mitigating” it.
Same here. From March to May of 2019, I charged the car full and it showed 240 and 239 (max for 70D). in that same period, I drove it home once with 10 miles left and then charged it. So it would appear that I had the full range. Since then, I've rarely charged it full, and rarely dropped below 40, but in May 19, range was at 208 with absolutely not being able to charge past 205 not matter how long I left it plugged in. With some of the range miraculously "coming back", I'm at 228 - I actually did manage to charge to 227, not sure if it did charge to 228 and then it dropped due to normal drain, or it never got to 228. So my range has dropped in my opinion significantly during this hiatus, considering I haven't put that many miles on the car, and I've been pretty nice to the battery. If they indeed have raised the V limit back to pre 2019.16, then it would appear it is degradation.
So what I'm wondering is, was the degradation there before but it didn't show (which would be convenient b/c they sold it to me 2 months before 2019.16). It would appear that it wasn't b/c as pointed earlier, I had full range, though I didn't test the last 10 miles of range.
Alternatively, it developed over last two years, but even that doesn't make sense, that would be 5% range loss in some 16k miles.
There are other potential reasons too, but it comes down to, it seems everything worked fine until they "mitigated" it. And after they did, I don't have what I had before. So I cannot agree that it is a solution from user perspective.

maybe this was described in the paper or before in the thread, but I cannot recall I have seen it. So if they are not sure they are reading voltages correctly, how is it that they know reliably it is charged to 4.2v? or potentially not?
I know there was a discussion about "not-existing range" at the bottom due to errors in measaurement, but are you saying for some reasons lower voltages are not reliably measured but higher are?