Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to service, the BMS errors I was getting are related to HVL node misconfiguration in the new MCU2 upgrade I just got a few weeks ago. They reconfigured those settings and the BMS errors went away.

They still charged me $195 diagnosis. I really don't think that is fair since they've already stated this was an issue caused by the MCU2 upgrade which I already paid for. Really seems like the upgrade wasn't fully configured properly and that the correcting it should have been included with my purchase of the upgrade.
I agree. They should have waived that fee since the upgrade wasn’t completed properly.

I have tried both on and off with key present and not and it still does it. I normally have passive entry on. Also my wifi will not turn off and seems permanently connected. Or rather I can turn it off in car and as soon as I close the door it springs back into life and connects to my garage router. Done the usual cycling all the settings on and off ad infinitum as usual. It's just tedious trying to find out if it is "normal", doing new exciting diagnostics on my rubbish V1 pack, or is actually a fault with car or just a firmware glitch. The usual for us Tesla mushrooms.

James

According to service, the BMS errors I was getting are related to HVL node misconfiguration in the new MCU2 upgrade I just got a few weeks ago. They reconfigured those settings and the BMS errors went away.

They still charged me $195 diagnosis. I really don't think that is fair since they've already stated this was an issue caused by the MCU2 upgrade which I already paid for. Really seems like the upgrade wasn't fully configured properly and that the correcting it should have been included with my purchase of the upgrade.
So, what "Not being a cost center" really means you are overhead, and don't get funded, or supported, and have to scrounge for money and resources...

Reactions: Guy V
My pumpgate issue is not the draingate pump issue. When car is idle and off my pumps are running for exactly one minute, every five minutes irrespective of charge level (which is generally 50% at the moment). This started when I went from 2020.20.1 to 2020.48.37 recently. I suspect it is a new maintenance procedure for the battery. Miles lost per day is no different to what it was before from what I can tell. Tesla have no answer nor anyone else apparently as everyone reads draingate then moves on maybe!

James
I will misquote Elon and say, "The best update is no update"

Happy to be on 2020.48.12.1

Since they charged you for diagnosis, get the actual diagnostic data handed to you. You paid for it and it's illegal for them to refuse to turn it over.

Either they lied and will refund the diagnosis fee to hide the lie, or they told the truth and you have proof they charged you for their own mistake on a service you already paid for.

No reason not to demand your diagnostics data on the BmS tests they ran that made them come to that conclusion.

Since they charged you for diagnosis, get the actual diagnostic data handed to you. You paid for it and it's illegal for them to refuse to turn it over.

Either they lied and will refund the diagnosis fee to hide the lie, or they told the truth and you have proof they charged you for their own mistake on a service you already paid for.

No reason not to demand your diagnostics data on the BmS tests they ran that made them come to that conclusion.
I think everyone here will agree that nobody hates Tesla customer service more than I do.

That said, did the guy even ask them for 1) the diagnostic info or probably more importantly 2) to refund that diagnostic fee?

It's been my experience that Tesla is quick to charge and slow to refund but I wouldn't call this malicious in complete absence of any other details just yet.

I will be among the first to hand out pitch forks and torches if they refused to refund it and refuse to supply the diagnostic that lead to said repair but it seems a bit premature... even for me.

I think everyone here will agree that nobody hates Tesla customer service more than I do.

That said, did the guy even ask them for 1) the diagnostic info or probably more importantly 2) to refund that diagnostic fee?

It's been my experience that Tesla is quick to charge and slow to refund but I wouldn't call this malicious in complete absence of any other details just yet.

I will be among the first to hand out pitch forks and torches if they refused to refund it and refuse to supply the diagnostic that lead to said repair but it seems a bit premature... even for me.

When I picked up the car there was nobody to even talk to about it. It was all touchless and I had to pay through the app. I've asked through the app to refund the diagnostic fee since the issue was caused by the MCU2 upgrade. We'll see what and if they respond.

• Informative
When I picked up the car there was nobody to even talk to about it. It was all touchless and I had to pay through the app. I've asked through the app to refund the diagnostic fee since the issue was caused by the MCU2 upgrade. We'll see what and if they respond.
This is one of the biggest reason I am done with Tesla. No customer service, all computer and self service. Not for price you pay for these cars.

This is one of the biggest reason I am done with Tesla. No customer service, all computer and self service. Not for price you pay for these cars.

On the other hand I did get a free Model S loaner from Enterprise on site, so that was nice and it wasn't speed limited. It was a 75D. It's supercharging is even slower than our 85s. Only 38KW at 50% and 19KW at 80%.

Does anyone know the answer to this question:
Is the charging speed reduction (chargegate) tied to the car’s VIN# or to its battery pack (Serial#, part#)?

I’m hoping it's tied to the pack.
I posted about my experience here about a year ago:

As a refresher: I was charge-gated, then battery-gated (244 down to 208 miles), and several months later I got a "charge level reduced" error, causing Tesla to replace my battery under warranty with a reman pack. Still charge-gated. :rolleyes:Supercharging sometimes starts around 117kW but drops to 70 within minutes, and then is in the 50s before I'm even at 50%.

So either it is tied to the car, or it is tied to the pack and they gave me a charge-gated pack.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and JRP3
Interesting question and the future answer will play a role in my decision to keep the car.

Currently, I would think all reman packs would be chargegated. I mean, it would lower costs and risk for them.

Consider the benefits (For Tesla)

Save the best modules for other use, possibly sold to dismantlers, or even in new powerwalls.

Use the poor modules as much as possible, say with a 90% chance of lasting a year or the remainder of the warranty period.

Add a healthy dose of charge gate to prolong these poor quality packs, and discourage SuC, which would save Tesla money for those cars with FUSC.

If this is likely, I would be disinclined to replace my pack, but have it repaired if out of warranty, by third party.

Reactions: Droschke and gmo43
Save the best modules for other use, possibly sold to dismantlers, or even in new powerwalls.

Use the poor modules as much as possible, say with a 90% chance of lasting a year or the remainder of the warranty period.

Highly unlikely Tesla will put used modules in new products or sell good ones to dismantlers.

Correct, Elon has said that he doesn't think "second life" uses for vehicles packs, like other manufacturers are doing, makes sense. It is better to recycle the old packs and make new, better, batteries from the materials recovered. With the end goal being that very little, if any, new materials need to be introduced into stream. (Many years down the road.)

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Correct, Elon has said that he doesn't think "second life" uses for vehicles packs, like other manufacturers are doing, makes sense. It is better to recycle the old packs and make new, better, batteries from the materials recovered. With the end goal being that very little, if any, new materials need to be introduced into stream. (Many years down the road.)
When I said dismantlers, I had a very specific person in mind, JB Straubel.

Agree that other sources are unlikely.

Reactions: fbitz777
Reminder to all those who tolerate charge-gate: Tesla never, ever, once, disclosed to us in 2013 anywhere, that network charge speeds would be reduced as our vehicles age. I don't Tesla can claim that as a reasonable expectation. My gas car fills up just as fast as it did 10 years ago. An average consumer shouldn't be required to understand the inner workings of batteries, charging subsystems, resistance, amperage, etc. and how they may or may not change over time.

Plainly and simply, Tesla failed to disclose something it knew would negatively impact our ownership experience after it had our money. I have no care about Tesla's "mission" since part of that mission is to screw loyal customers. Tesla can go 10 feet under as far as I'm concerned!

Reminder to all those who tolerate charge-gate: Tesla never, ever, once, disclosed to us in 2013 anywhere, that network charge speeds would be reduced as our vehicles age. I don't Tesla can claim that as a reasonable expectation. My gas car fills up just as fast as it did 10 years ago. An average consumer shouldn't be required to understand the inner workings of batteries, charging subsystems, resistance, amperage, etc. and how they may or may not change over time.

Plainly and simply, Tesla failed to disclose something it knew would negatively impact our ownership experience after it had our money. I have no care about Tesla's "mission" since part of that mission is to screw loyal customers. Tesla can go 10 feet under as far as I'm concerned!
Ditto for regen gate and pump gate and maybe a few other gates...

I don't want Tesla to go under, as I need spare parts. Unlikely I will purchase another car the way things are going.