Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reminder to all those who tolerate charge-gate: Tesla never, ever, once, disclosed to us in 2013 anywhere, that network charge speeds would be reduced as our vehicles age. I don't Tesla can claim that as a reasonable expectation. My gas car fills up just as fast as it did 10 years ago. An average consumer shouldn't be required to understand the inner workings of batteries, charging subsystems, resistance, amperage, etc. and how they may or may not change over time.

Plainly and simply, Tesla failed to disclose something it knew would negatively impact our ownership experience after it had our money. I have no care about Tesla's "mission" since part of that mission is to screw loyal customers. Tesla can go 10 feet under as far as I'm concerned!

I think part of Tesla's mission is to render our vehicles obsolete as soon as they can get away with it. Tech is one thing; that is always evolving and there are improvements and enhancements to make owning the latest and greatest appealing to a segment of the population. Not for me; likely not for you, either. We keep our cars for many years. I sold our 1995 Mustang GT convertible with 130,000 miles to buy our S85 in 2014.

But I think Tesla is trying to coerce many of us to abandon our older vehicles in favor of buying a new one. Gaffing the Supercharger rate is one way, especially for those of us who bought into the free and unlimited for life sales pitch.

I think they want as many of these vehicles off the road as possible. Just you wait and see: as more of these cars go out of warranty, battery replacement costs will be through the roof, and these refurbished/remanufactured packs will be just as bad if not worse than the ones that they replaced, likely with artificially induced software restrictions, and we won't know the difference.

But then, I am always game for a good conspiracy theory. They seem to be popular these days . . . . 😱😱

I think part of Tesla's mission is to render our vehicles obsolete as soon as they can get away with it. Tech is one thing; that is always evolving and there are improvements and enhancements to make owning the latest and greatest appealing to a segment of the population. Not for me; likely not for you, either. We keep our cars for many years. I sold our 1995 Mustang GT convertible with 130,000 miles to buy our S85 in 2014.

But I think Tesla is trying to coerce many of us to abandon our older vehicles in favor of buying a new one. Gaffing the Supercharger rate is one way, especially for those of us who bought into the free and unlimited for life sales pitch.

I think they want as many of these vehicles off the road as possible. Just you wait and see: as more of these cars go out of warranty, battery replacement costs will be through the roof, and these refurbished/remanufactured packs will be just as bad if not worse than the ones that they replaced, likely with artificially induced software restrictions, and we won't know the difference.

But then, I am always game for a good conspiracy theory. They seem to be popular these days . . . . 😱😱
I'm putting my '95 Acura back on the road next week. It will continue to be my trailer puller/trash hauler since I am skeptical of the CT coming though.

464 k miles, but still some life left.

No problem getting a battery for it, or any other parts😁

After owning two Teslas, I'm out. If you are a good Musketeer you trade in and buy new every time they have a new model but that's not my style. If I had done that it would have saved stress and time but for a cost $$... Yes these cars are designed to be obsolete a lot faster than a regular ICE car, there is no question in my mind.

Nerfing my supercharging speed royally pissed me off, after waiting 4 years for any SCs to be put in within 500 miles of my house after years of Elon promising the rollout here, utter BS. That was the turning point for me.

Yes these cars are designed to be obsolete a lot faster than a regular ICE car, there is no question in my mind.
I'd say Tesla ran into problems with the batteries that they weren't expecting and unfortunately decided to handle the situation improperly. Since the packs are designed to be easily swapped they are actually designed to be upgraded and not be obsolete but Tesla chose not to take that route.

@cpa, I think you are so right (as always).

It is better to recycle the old packs and make new, better, batteries from the materials recovered.
^^^ this could well be correct. Certainly, if you make a mistake / error of judgement / unavoidable manufacturing defect, (& hopefully don't do it too often!) then along with genuinely spent / life expired batteries you need to recover materials efficiently to minimise the impact of your end to end process. But what about the rest of the car’s value? Using a statement like this as though it justifies whatever behavior Tesla decide best suits their needs is a bit like citing Covid as the justification for all unsatisfactory situations and obfuscating the need to address them. Owners who for whatever reason chose to look after the value of their assets can't be left solely to the mercy of corporate bottom line decisions. We all know there is a bigger picture!

If you are a good Musketeer you trade in and buy new every time they have a new model

During rapid development of 1st / 2nd gen products I think most can accept some aspects being less than perfect, but it is during these phases that businesses learn what the market will put up with. I will not just fall for a sales model where I become one of the saps shelling out for the diminishing improvements and throwing my cash into a flawed business model while turning a blind eye to the waste and inefficiency masked by distorted product claims and questionable ’marketing’ based around web media Ponzi schemes and expending personal reputations.

designed to be obsolete a lot faster than a regular ICE car

I'm not sure Tesla have intentionally designed in the level of obsolescence that their cars could actually achieve without appropriate checks in place. In some ways, they may have done the opposite with regards to customer expectations by giving the impression that much lower levels of obsolescence are possible. The myth of OTA updates keeping you unequivocally right up to date in some positive sense (rather than exposed to poorly tested, often buggy, unsolicited and sometimes clandestine downgrades / modifications) is imo another aspirational promise with much less evidence of universal real benefit. (and yes, it looks like the dark rear camera image for MCU2 has been fixed .... after what, 2 years?! I don't see OTA having sped up that fix, and I still don't have USB audio album art since they broke that).

I feel quite a strong obligation to hold businesses to the high standards they often promise as part of the sales process as it feels like an important element in forcing changes of habit and expectation.

Last edited:
Interesting video from Gruber related to the recent discussion

Does he mean abbhoration or anomaly?

He again mentions parasitic cells. (Cells that become resistive) which was the main theme of one of his other videos. Other than speculative posts here, I haven't seen that area explored in depth. Cells becoming ’parasitic’ and dissipating heat without the individual battery fuse blowing would seem to be at the center of BMS being unable to maintain cell balance and possible uncontrolled internal energy dissipation that can not be stopped even by opening the HV main contactor.

Interesting action by Porsche, at least they made it optional.

Porsche noted that the 2021 software update would allow Taycan drivers to reduce the maximum charging speed of their vehicle from 270 kW to 200 kW. This is quite strange considering that the Taycan had been promoted as a car that could routinely charge at 350 kW. Porsche, for its part, explained that the update is designed to preserve battery life and performance.

Interesting action by Porsche, at least they made it optional.

Brilliant, on a roadtrip - when you know that you family will spend at least 1,5H for a lunch - you can lower the charging speed so that you can avoid idle fee. My guess is that they have stolen the idea from Tesla - us with 70/85 batteries are beta tester of this feature; Avoid stress while charging - now you have plenty of time to visit the toilet, or taking a long break without having to move the car.......

Brilliant, on a roadtrip - when you know that you family will spend at least 1,5H for a lunch - you can lower the charging speed so that you can avoid idle fee. My guess is that they have stolen the idea from Tesla - us with 70/85 batteries are beta tester of this feature; Avoid stress while charging - now you have plenty of time to visit the toilet, or taking a long break without having to move the car.......
Before we labelled it Chargegate, Tesla could have called it "Recharge Mode"

"On long trips, enjoy a nap or time with family as you car automatically slows charging to allow you to be fully rested before you continue your trip"

Last edited:
Per Teslafi, looks like I am the only one of my car type left on 2020.48.12.1.

Getting the nag to update to 37.1

Any compelling reason not to?

I know about the icons moving on the IC, I think they borked something else, can't remember...
It indeed required a few weeks for me to adjust to the new layout but I now very much like it.
Why? Because skinny font for speedo is less cute by my standards, but somehow my brain reads it easier.
Also, moving PDNR left makes more sense too: car info grouped left, other info right.
And the best to me is moving up the speed limit notification next to the speedo. I finally notice it, and right there when in doubt.

Opinions will differ but I’m quite happy with 37.1

Now if we could get more of these around the country that be great. Wondering what that would do since these are class action lawsuits.

Anyhow.... Do we want to bet on another extension for the rausem class action? Hope not

We've been through this before. There is almost zero chance that Tesla will settle one class action law suit while another, essentially duplicate, one is pending. So they either need to get combined, or one of them dismissed. (Or I suppose if one of them get certified as a class action law suit that would essentially dismiss the other one.) So I find it weird that you want more of them, because the more of them there are the longer it will take to get to any resolution.

But at this point I would practically guarantee another extension request.

We've been through this before. There is almost zero chance that Tesla will settle one class action law suit while another, essentially duplicate, one is pending. So they either need to get combined, or one of them dismissed. (Or I suppose if one of them get certified as a class action law suit that would essentially dismiss the other one.) So I find it weird that you want more of them, because the more of them there are the longer it will take to get to any resolution.

But at this point I would practically guarantee another extension request.
I remember someone saying it be a good thing to have multiple suits. Maybe to get more attention to this issue. Not a lawyer so thought I'd ask. Well let's hope it's settle and others are dismissed.