Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As 75s and 90s got their charging speeds upped, my 85 got it dropped with the 37.1 update. I used to start up to 130kw when the battery was warm and below 10% SoC. Twice now after the update, at full warmth, it's topped out at 115kw, and drops just as fast, so adds yet another 5 minutes to charging. Fan behavior has also changed, fans kicking on high based on kw draw, not temperature, as the battery never gets above 43c anymore, this only happened over 50c before.

The only other possibility is the car just passed a ridiculously low 3500kwh of DC fast charging. (out of over 60,000kwh total).

About to sell this damn P85D and get a 90D since folks got their charging speed back, even though I'd rather have the P85D car.

5-75% takes a damn hour or 65 minutes. Road tripping is toast and I've given up hope. Watching it hit 50kw before 50% SoC is so damn demoralizing. 5-65% roadtripping is like drive for 1 hour or a bit more, charge for 35-40 minutes, rinse repeat. Drive 7 hours, charge 4? Awesome. :/

Last edited:
As 75s and 90s got their charging speeds upped, my 85 got it dropped with the 37.1 update. I used to start up to 130kw when the battery was warm and below 10% SoC. Twice now after the update, at full warmth, it's topped out at 115kw, and drops just as fast, so adds yet another 5 minutes to charging. Fan behavior has also changed, fans kicking on high based on kw draw, not temperature, as the battery never gets above 43c anymore, this only happened over 50c before.

The only other possibility is the car just passed a ridiculously low 3500kwh of DC fast charging. (out of over 60,000kwh total).

About to sell this damn P85D and get a 90D since folks got their charging speed back, even though I'd rather have the P85D car.

5-75% takes a damn hour or 65 minutes. Road tripping is toast and I've given up hope. Watching it hit 50kw before 50% SoC is so damn demoralizing. 5-65% roadtripping is like drive for 1 hour or a bit more, charge for 35-40 minutes, rinse repeat. Drive 7 hours, charge 4? Awesome. :/
Might be cheaper to buy a new battery.

Might be cheaper to buy a new battery.
No, at least in Europe, I can sell the P85D for the price of a 90D, so should be a wash. I'll try to find a unicorn late 2016 AP2 with free SuC. Otherwise, AP1 is fine. Free SuC savings add up in pricey kwh EU.

And it seems demand is so high/ignorance around nerfed charging speeds is keeping prices ridiculously high.

Last edited:
I have pretty much confirmed that my very soon to be 8 year old P85 has within the last month returned to reporting nearly the range capacity it did prior to batterygate. I first noticed what seemed higher range than I had been getting on regular charging, so I set it to 80% and noted that yes, it was higher after charging, about what I had gotten used to seeing at 90%.

I stopped by a supercharger on Sunday and let it creep up to 96%, showing 244 miles. I quit there because I didn't have enough distance to drive to bring it back down to safer levels. Projecting as much as another 10 miles at 100%, that's a not too unreasonable loss since before 2019.16. As soon as I plan a longer drive I want to see how far it will go in terms of percentage and range, and do a check on whether it's real range or imaginary range. I am finally feeling cautiously optimistic, with fingers crossed and knocking on wood.

I have pretty much confirmed that my very soon to be 8 year old P85 has within the last month returned to reporting nearly the range capacity it did prior to batterygate. I first noticed what seemed higher range than I had been getting on regular charging, so I set it to 80% and noted that yes, it was higher after charging, about what I had gotten used to seeing at 90%.

I stopped by a supercharger on Sunday and let it creep up to 96%, showing 244 miles. I quit there because I didn't have enough distance to drive to bring it back down to safer levels. Projecting as much as another 10 miles at 100%, that's a not too unreasonable loss since before 2019.16. As soon as I plan a longer drive I want to see how far it will go in terms of percentage and range, and do a check on whether it's real range or imaginary range. I am finally feeling cautiously optimistic, with fingers crossed and knocking on wood.
I have noticed the same thing since 2020.48.12.1, although the effect was only a few miles.

The other 8 cars like mine on Teslafi are also showing an upward trend.

Perhaps we need to start a thread:

" Gradual increase in range since...."

Jason H has published an article that indicates this is a real effect of recent updates.

Here is what I am seeing. Note, I am a late adopter when it comes to updates, usually only when the SvC does it against my wishes.

Screenshot_20210330-205509.png

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and Guy V

Hi @Guy V - You mentioned the first time you noticed it:
I first noticed what seemed higher range than I had been getting on regular charging

Do you recall what the SoC% was? Thanks.

Hi @Guy V - You mentioned the first time you noticed it:

Do you recall what the SoC% was? Thanks.
Sorry, I hadn't been paying attention anymore, just unplugged and drove off, but realized when I got to the grocery store 4 miles away I seemed to have more range than I usually had started off with. I parked in front of the house for a few days without charging, enjoying the increased vampire drain from the MCU2 upgrade. I'm also not very precise about setting the charge slider. When I did plug back in I checked that I was set on 80% and the next time I left it was a few miles over 200 rather than around the 198 I had gotten used to. That's when I decided to stop at the supercharger on a nice Spring day and check it out further. I am looking forward to finding out if I can actually charge past 97% now. After 2019.16 the absolute most I could get to was 237.

Last edited:
Sorry, I hadn't been paying attention anymore, just unplugged and drove off, but realized when I got to the grocery store 4 miles away I seemed to have more range than I usually had started off with. I parked in front of the house for a few days without charging, enjoying the increased vampire drain from the MCU2 upgrade. I'm also not very precise about setting the charge slider. When I did plug back in I checked that I was set on 80% and the next time I left it was a few miles over 200 rather than around the 198 I had gotten used to. That's when I decided to stop at the supercharger on a nice Spring day and check it out further. I am looking forward to finding out if I can actually charge past 97% now. After 2019.16 the absolute most I could get to was 237.

Thanks @Guy V , I'm happy for you.

Unfortunately in my case, not only that my pack's capacity remains non-restored I've even lost more miles recently.

That's really exciting. Congrats! 254 is my old 100% from back in 2019. I had a sudden drop to 244 one day and it's held mostly stable there ever since. It's below the fleet average on Teslafi but not so much that I need to do something about it. I did use to love having ~250 because it made all of my math easy XD

Thanks @Guy V , I'm happy for you.

Unfortunately in my case, not only that my pack's capacity remains non-restored I've even lost more miles recently.
That's very discouraging. Sorry for your sake of course, but it also means it can still be in the future for any of us, and Tesla has still not presented a viable battery replacement option. Possibly your situation could yet be leading to Tesla replacing your battery. That would be good news indeed.

Have any SMT / TeslaLogger users got data showing increase in displayed range against cell voltage or charge current / charge duration?

Have we seen that increased displayed range correlates with increase in stored / released energy?
I have seen a minor, about 1kw increase in nominal capacity correlated with the update last June. It was not immediate.