Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey I hope you are right on this...I personally would not mind buying a battery every 8-10 years for 20k or so BUT only if it is a new one!
This does not seem to jibe with the fact that they do not manufacture these batteries anymore. Are you suggesting they kept enough in stock and they are sitting there for 5+ years on shelves in case we are willing to buy?

I was always under the impression that Tesla modular design (skateboard) would easily allow to install newer batteries in older cars.
New 85's appear to be a 350V pack that is a 100kWh with 2 of the 16 modules removed (14/16*100=88kWh). Reports are that the pack is closer to a 90 than an 85. Some lucky people have gotten new ones for warranty replacements: New 85kWH battery for my 2013 P85+

I got an old 400V refurb for a replacement - 1088815-01-E - 251 miles at 100% before replacement, 251 miles after.

• Informative
Reactions: DJRas and fbitz777
...What a TOTAL insult. I guess they don't give a SQUAT for the ones that helped get Tesla off the ground.
Oh it's extremely obvious to non-Teslastans that they do not give one sh*t about people like you & I. As long as the hype train is going full steam ahead and there are new people coming through the door that's all that counts.
...I just want to sell the car and get done with this shitty company once and for all.
That's what I did. Although I still pop in here from time to time to mainly see progress on issues such as this, I have less stress in my life because I dumped Tesla the company. Chargegate is what really sent me through the roof. The cars are fun when they aren't broken tho...

We need to lobby Tesla to get that 350V battery as a standard replacement part for 85s. It fits, it works, and your car (except for drive unit) is like new. Who do we bug about this? Let's get a petition going with thousands of signatures and say in the letter that we are environmentally concerned owners who want to let Tesla recycle our old batteries at 92% efficiency and keep our cars out of the junkyard.

A tiered settlement would have made sense. Those who are fully restored, get x. Those mostly restored, get y. Those NOT restored, replace battery.

Since none of my sudden capacity loss of over 20 miles right after I installed 2019.16 has been restored to date, I definitely like your tiered settlement solution.

The settlement document at the time of its writing states there are 21 Vehicles with data unavailable to access. Translation: The capacity of 21 cars have not been restored due to a highly ambiguous reason being offered here: "data unavailable to access".

It also stipulates the following (see the phrase "there is no reason to doubt"):

"the update works as planned and there is no reason to doubt that the voltage restoration update will work similarly in these vehicles"

Seems a wishful thinking construct and "the check is in the mail" type of approach in the current version of the settlement.

The non-restored owners just can't wait for some undetermined length of time, months/years, as their "cars are driven" in order to see any restoration without any consequences.

Hey I hope you are right on this...I personally would not mind buying a battery every 8-10 years for 20k or so BUT only if it is a new one!
This does not seem to jibe with the fact that they do not manufacture these batteries anymore. Are you suggesting they kept enough in stock and they are sitting there for 5+ years on shelves in case we are willing to buy?

I was always under the impression that Tesla modular design (skateboard) would easily allow to install newer batteries in older cars.
I wouldn't mind buying replacement battery either but for that price i do mind.

Reactions: Guy V
Those are two of the measurements that are no longer accurate on TM-SPY & Scan My Tesla. Tesla fiddled with the firmware and what/how Canbus reports, to make some of the readable information inaccurate. Word on the grape vine was that it was being used against them (Charge Gate & Battery Gate).
Well I can absolutely say that mine is accurate. All you have to do is get the numbers off of your meter before and after you charge. That will let you know exactly how many KW was used to charge. You can subtract any additional KWs that may be used if you have an app that shows your home usage.

• Informative
Reactions: gmo43 and Droschke
Well I can absolutely say that mine is accurate. All you have to do is get the numbers off of your meter before and after you charge. That will let you know exactly how many KW was used to charge. You can subtract any additional KWs that may be used if you have an app that shows your home usage.
Sleaze bag of a company. Hopefully someone hits em where it matters. Our only home is NHTSA but thats government. We know how easy they can be persuaded now a days.

Sleaze bag of a company. Hopefully someone hits em where it matters. Our only home is NHTSA but thats government. We know how easy they can be persuaded now a days.
I'm not hating on them. I just think they over-extend themselves, not unintentionally, and need to recognize these issues are actually of serious long-term importance to them among all their others.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I think so too. I'm just very skeptical b/c most of the time, only 85s are mentioned - with everything I've seen so far, it's not beyond Tesla to forget some cars.
That said, I hope you are due for a new battery instead :)

If you look at the Google Sheet (the tracker) mentioned in post#1 wiki, you would notice some 70 owners beside yourself also reporting being capped.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi and Guy V