Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received a letter from Tesla today....

"Dear Tesla Owner:
Our data indicate that the battery in your Tesla vehicle. (VIN Number), may be experiencing a specific
limitation affecting its maximum charge, which could affect the range your vehicle can travel between charging
sessions. To diagnose this issue, please bring your vehicle into a Tesla Service Center for a free inspection and battery service.
If we are unable to correct the charge limitation through servicing your battery, and depending on the reason for the limitation,
you may be eligible to have your vehicle's battery replaces with a newly remanufactured battery at no cost.
Again, the inspection and battery service will be completed at NO CHARGE. If we determine that your vehicle's
battery should be replaced, the replacement will be done at NO COST TO YOU.
When you bring your vehicle into the service center, please present this letter to the Service Manager."

This begs the question...
Am I going to drive for 6 hours to the Service Center just so they can give me the same reason they gave before after remotely looking at the logs? The reason given last time was "You DC charged too much". Or I wonder if it will be something like You have a lot of miles now, everything is normal (although the loss occurred before the 8 year unlimited warrantee expired).

Thoughts?
Thanks
(Edit: Changed to read 8 year unlimited warrantee (Thanks MP3Mike))
Did you contact Tesla on this topic prior to this letter or did it come “out of the blue”?

Make sure the document is dated at time of purchase, later documents may have been changed.
I have not seen any literature from Tesla saying "Too much DC charging will damage the battery". If service center techs are telling people that, where did they get it from and why it is being said with no proof to back it up. If it is to deny warranty work ansd sell battery packs then it is illegal and can be challenged in court.

Reactions: lightningltd
I couldn't either so I was mistaken. Apologies for the confusion.
No problem, my point is, if there are multiple service centers using that excuse that language is not stated in the warranty and must come from Tesla HQ to deny warranty work. Even the statement (You DC charge too much) sounds like an admission that DC charging damages the battery. So in theory Tesla provided the parameters that caused battery damage, deny warranty and charge the customer for a new pack or lower the capacity and charging speed until the warranty is up.

No problem, my point is, if there are multiple service centers using that excuse that language is not stated in the warranty and must come from Tesla HQ to deny warranty work.

It doesn't matter if "excessive" Supercharging causes more degradation, since degradation isn't covered by the original warranty. The warranty only covers failures. (Which I assume by Tesla's definition means that it can't be charged or won't supply enough power to be drivable.)

It sounds like @lightningltd's pack might be suffering from something other than degradation and that Tesla is finally stepping up to look at and possibly resolve it. (Maybe he has a failing BMB, or two, and Tesla's software solution didn't work on his pack for some reason.)

Reactions: aerodyne
As a lot of 2014/2015 85kWh are coming soon out of warranty, what will be the solution for those that went MCU2 route? Upgrade from what I see is close to impossible unless is done by Tesla. I would pay to upgrade my 5% degradation for a 350V pack to get faster charging speed, but not for the full price… My car was rooted on MCU1 and the only thing left out of it is the debug profile

Reactions: DJRas
As a lot of 2014/2015 85kWh are coming soon out of warranty, what will be the solution for those that went MCU2 route? Upgrade from what I see is close to impossible unless is done by Tesla. I would pay to upgrade my 5% degradation for a 350V pack to get faster charging speed, but not for the full price… My car was rooted on MCU1 and the only thing left out of it is the debug profile
My understanding from 057tech is that MCU2 is no longer a barrier.

Received a letter from Tesla today....

"Dear Tesla Owner:
Our data indicate that the battery in your Tesla vehicle. (VIN Number), may be experiencing a specific
limitation affecting its maximum charge, which could affect the range your vehicle can travel between charging
sessions. To diagnose this issue, please bring your vehicle into a Tesla Service Center for a free inspection and battery service.
If we are unable to correct the charge limitation through servicing your battery, and depending on the reason for the limitation,
you may be eligible to have your vehicle's battery replaces with a newly remanufactured battery at no cost.
Again, the inspection and battery service will be completed at NO CHARGE. If we determine that your vehicle's
battery should be replaced, the replacement will be done at NO COST TO YOU.
When you bring your vehicle into the service center, please present this letter to the Service Manager."

This begs the question...
Am I going to drive for 6 hours to the Service Center just so they can give me the same reason they gave before after remotely looking at the logs? The reason given last time was "You DC charged too much". Or I wonder if it will be something like You have a lot of miles now, everything is normal (although the loss occurred before the 8 year unlimited warrantee expired).

Thoughts?
Thanks
(Edit: Changed to read 8 year unlimited warrantee (Thanks MP3Mike))

Having my battery capacity not restored to this date, I too received the same letter early last week. And, I also had contacted the settlement law firm a month ago or so and had informed them of my upcapped status (still no response from them to date).

It’s an unsigned letter which comes from a ‘building’ address in California rather than from a person or a department of a company so you can respond if needed. The right process should have been to first inform the service centers in advance with some context on what’s coming, which appears not to be the case, since this is not a typical high degradation case where the customer is told the tests show the battery is “OK”.

My impression was and still is that the letter is among the fallouts of the class action lawsuit and is either another checkmark on Tesla’s to-do list to close the case or a possible settlement law firm heads-up to Tesla .

My last service center visit or any service was over three years ago even though I had contacted Tesla in May of 2019 (you could actually call their support line at that time) right after my car was capped. At that time they ran a few remote tests and told me all is "OK" and it’s normal degradation. The service center experience it’s even worse now as continuously reported by other owners. Nevertheless, I showed up and the whole experience was utterly disappointing. The Tesla letter states “When you bring your vehicle into the Service Center, please present this letter to the Service Manager”. So, I did and here is how it went:

• I asked to speak to the manager.
  • The only available front desk rep said “I’m manager”.
  • I tried to explain that I need to talk to “the” manager and present him with a letter from Tesla headquarters.
  • He insisted that he is “a” manager (or one of the managers, if I heard it correctly) and asked for the letter.
  • I have also prepared a single page background info about the case and my car to provide more context in writing.
  • Gave him both documents.
  • He took a cursory look at both and handed them back to me, visibly uninterested, and asked me to make an appointment via Tesla app for a battery test to see if the battery is “OK”. (One would wonder why I had to go to the service center if all I had to do, according to him, was to use the app to request a battery test ???)
  • I asked him to read the letter again since it already acknowledges “charging limitation” in place on my car per Tesla’s own data and that I think the purpose of this service would be either to remove the limitation or to replace the battery (as stipulated in Tesla’s letter).
  • He repeated the same script that they will run the battery test and if it’s not “OK” they might replace it.
  • I asked him what does “OK” mean since my battery has not failed (at least yet) and that this is not a typical “my range has gone down by x miles since y date” case … I’ve lost over 20 miles, to which he interrupted quickly with the typical “that’s normal”.
  • After more insistence, he reluctantly made a service appointment for a month from now. I asked him to attach the two documents I have presented him with (which he had refused to keep and has handed them back to me) to the ticket for more context. Reluctantly, he took pictures of both by using his cell phone. Both documents were handed back to me again and none of which are attached to the ticket when I check the details of my appointment via app.
At this time I am not expecting any positive outcome based on the interaction with the SC and their reaction. Extremely frustrated with this company and their so-called customer service. And that’s an absolute understatement.

Good grief, Droschke. I infer from your account:

You are correct that this letter came from someone outside Tesla; perhaps a law firm or third party contractor. (Did you look up the address and see what is there?)

After Tesla made appointments only through the app, the people there quickly discovered that (a) they won't have much ongoing repeat business from existing owners; (b) none of us really knows who does what, so anyone can masquerade as a manager today because next year who know who will be there to handle service issues; moreover, (c) Tesla did not inform these centers that these letters were being issued to a small number of vehicles; (d) Service Centers probably are loath to contact the mother ship unless absolutely necessary; and perhaps most of all, (e) no one is around in upper management to proscribe policies and procedures for the public face of Tesla--those are left to the individual to improvise, so they take the path of least resistance (from their POV).

I wonder if many service centers are overwhelmed with brand new vehicles that have issues like poorly-matched panels or other problems. Therefore, they slough off owners like you with an otherwise functioning car but in need of a moderately complex solution that they would rather not address.

Good grief, Droschke. I infer from your account:

You are correct that this letter came from someone outside Tesla; perhaps a law firm or third party contractor. (Did you look up the address and see what is there?)

After Tesla made appointments only through the app, the people there quickly discovered that (a) they won't have much ongoing repeat business from existing owners; (b) none of us really knows who does what, so anyone can masquerade as a manager today because next year who know who will be there to handle service issues; moreover, (c) Tesla did not inform these centers that these letters were being issued to a small number of vehicles; (d) Service Centers probably are loath to contact the mother ship unless absolutely necessary; and perhaps most of all, (e) no one is around in upper management to proscribe policies and procedures for the public face of Tesla--those are left to the individual to improvise, so they take the path of least resistance (from their POV).

I wonder if many service centers are overwhelmed with brand new vehicles that have issues like poorly-matched panels or other problems. Therefore, they slough off owners like you with an otherwise functioning car but in need of a moderately complex solution that they would rather not address.

I was trying to be a bit sarcastic there. The letter came with the Tesla logo and was sent from "Tesla, 901 Page Avenue Fremont, CA 94538", which I suppose is a Tesla building (not a department within Tesla or from a person who I can write back to).

All your other points, as always, are spot on. I agree with others that the service and customer care situation are currently disastrous. I did not want to stay too long in an overcrowded room of maskless people, including the staff, and to insist over and over for the real "manager" to stand up. My feeling is that the front desk staff are instructed to refuse requests to see the "real" manager. I actually looked up the manager impersonator I interacted with and his Linkedin title is "Service Supervisor", but definitely not "the" manager.

At this point not sure how to proceed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having my battery capacity not restored to this date, I too received the same letter early last week. And, I also had contacted the settlement law firm a month ago or so and had informed them of my upcapped status (still no response from them to date).

It’s an unsigned letter which comes from a ‘building’ address in California rather than from a person or a department of a company so you can respond if needed. The right process should have been to first inform the service centers in advance with some context on what’s coming, which appears not to be the case, since this is not a typical high degradation case where the customer is told the tests show the battery is “OK”.

My impression was and still is that the letter is among the fallouts of the class action lawsuit and is either another checkmark on Tesla’s to-do list to close the case or a possible settlement law firm heads-up to Tesla .

My last service center visit or any service was over three years ago even though I had contacted Tesla in May of 2019 (you could actually call their support line at that time) right after my car was capped. At that time they ran a few remote tests and told me all is "OK" and it’s normal degradation. The service center experience it’s even worse now as continuously reported by other owners. Nevertheless, I showed up and the whole experience was utterly disappointing. The Tesla letter states “When you bring your vehicle into the Service Center, please present this letter to the Service Manager”. So, I did and here is how it went:

• I asked to speak to the manager.
  • The only available front desk rep said “I’m manager”.
  • I tried to explain that I need to talk to “the” manager and present him with a letter from Tesla headquarters.
  • He insisted that he is “a” manager (or one of the managers, if I heard it correctly) and asked for the letter.
  • I have also prepared a single page background info about the case and my car to provide more context in writing.
  • Gave him both documents.
  • He took a cursory look at both and handed them back to me, visibly uninterested, and asked me to make an appointment via Tesla app for a battery test to see if the battery is “OK”. (One would wonder why I had to go to the service center if all I had to do, according to him, was to use the app to request a battery test ???)
  • I asked him to read the letter again since it already acknowledges “charging limitation” in place on my car per Tesla’s own data and that I think the purpose of this service would be either to remove the limitation or to replace the battery (as stipulated in Tesla’s letter).
  • He repeated the same script that they will run the battery test and if it’s not “OK” they might replace it.
  • I asked him what does “OK” mean since my battery has not failed (at least yet) and that this is not a typical “my range has gone down by x miles since y date” case … I’ve lost over 20 miles, to which he interrupted quickly with the typical “that’s normal”.
  • After more insistence, he reluctantly made a service appointment for a month from now. I asked him to attach the two documents I have presented him with (which he had refused to keep and has handed them back to me) to the ticket for more context. Reluctantly, he took pictures of both by using his cell phone. Both documents were handed back to me again and none of which are attached to the ticket when I check the details of my appointment via app.
At this time I am not expecting any positive outcome based on the interaction with the SC and their reaction. Extremely frustrated with this company and their so-called customer service. And that’s an absolute understatement.
Not sure if this is some kind of automated response, but I just got the following from the Service Center via the app in response to my appointment Wednesday:
"Good morning William, we have ordered the high voltage battery for replacement but the ETA is ~4 weeks to receive the replacement. We would like to push your appointment out to that time with your authorization."
Of course, I said yes.
Hopefully they will actually replace it and not claim its some kind of error :)

Edit: They responded with thank you and my new appointment is June 1.

Last edited:
I was trying to be a bit sarcastic there. The letter came with the Tesla logo and was sent from "Tesla, 901 Page Avenue Fremont, CA 94538", which I suppose is a Tesla building (not a department within Tesla or from a person who I can write back to).

All your other points, as always, are spot on. I agree with others that the service and customer care situation are currently disastrous. I did not want to stay too long in an overcrowded room of maskless people, including the staff, and to insist over and over for the real "manager" to stand up. My feeling is that the front desk staff are instructed to refuse requests to see the "real" manager. I actually looked up the manager impersonator I interacted with and his Linkedin title is "Service Supervisor", but definitely not "the" manager.

At this point not sure how to proceed.
I would make the appointment via the app and refer to the wording in the official letter from Tesla.

Just got a message back from the SC. Unlike @lightningltd 's case, they are saying my battery will go through the battery test first and then they would determine if a battery replacement is required.
I wonder if it is because they ran an online test and saw I was at a max of 202 rated rather than 265? Or perhaps they remotely saw the issue that was supposed to be fixed was still there?
Not sure. Hard to say after all the BS answers I got before.
Hopefully, they are not ordering the battery 'just in case' the test fails, only to tell me everything is 'normal' :p
I am just happy that it looks like they are trying to resolve it for me.

Reactions: Droschke