Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if it is because they ran an online test and saw I was at a max of 202 rated rather than 265? Or perhaps they remotely saw the issue that was supposed to be fixed was still there?
Not sure. Hard to say after all the BS answers I got before.
Hopefully, they are not ordering the battery 'just in case' the test fails, only to tell me everything is 'normal' :p
I am just happy that it looks like they are trying to resolve it for me.

I doubt they would test your battery again since they have ordered another battery for you. I think you are all set. Let's hope that is indeed the case 👍

Reactions: lightningltd
Having my battery capacity not restored to this date, I too received the same letter early last week. And, I also had contacted the settlement law firm a month ago or so and had informed them of my upcapped status (still no response from them to date).

It’s an unsigned letter which comes from a ‘building’ address in California rather than from a person or a department of a company so you can respond if needed. The right process should have been to first inform the service centers in advance with some context on what’s coming, which appears not to be the case, since this is not a typical high degradation case where the customer is told the tests show the battery is “OK”.

My impression was and still is that the letter is among the fallouts of the class action lawsuit and is either another checkmark on Tesla’s to-do list to close the case or a possible settlement law firm heads-up to Tesla .

My last service center visit or any service was over three years ago even though I had contacted Tesla in May of 2019 (you could actually call their support line at that time) right after my car was capped. At that time they ran a few remote tests and told me all is "OK" and it’s normal degradation. The service center experience it’s even worse now as continuously reported by other owners. Nevertheless, I showed up and the whole experience was utterly disappointing. The Tesla letter states “When you bring your vehicle into the Service Center, please present this letter to the Service Manager”. So, I did and here is how it went:

• I asked to speak to the manager.
  • The only available front desk rep said “I’m manager”.
  • I tried to explain that I need to talk to “the” manager and present him with a letter from Tesla headquarters.
  • He insisted that he is “a” manager (or one of the managers, if I heard it correctly) and asked for the letter.
  • I have also prepared a single page background info about the case and my car to provide more context in writing.
  • Gave him both documents.
  • He took a cursory look at both and handed them back to me, visibly uninterested, and asked me to make an appointment via Tesla app for a battery test to see if the battery is “OK”. (One would wonder why I had to go to the service center if all I had to do, according to him, was to use the app to request a battery test ???)
  • I asked him to read the letter again since it already acknowledges “charging limitation” in place on my car per Tesla’s own data and that I think the purpose of this service would be either to remove the limitation or to replace the battery (as stipulated in Tesla’s letter).
  • He repeated the same script that they will run the battery test and if it’s not “OK” they might replace it.
  • I asked him what does “OK” mean since my battery has not failed (at least yet) and that this is not a typical “my range has gone down by x miles since y date” case … I’ve lost over 20 miles, to which he interrupted quickly with the typical “that’s normal”.
  • After more insistence, he reluctantly made a service appointment for a month from now. I asked him to attach the two documents I have presented him with (which he had refused to keep and has handed them back to me) to the ticket for more context. Reluctantly, he took pictures of both by using his cell phone. Both documents were handed back to me again and none of which are attached to the ticket when I check the details of my appointment via app.
At this time I am not expecting any positive outcome based on the interaction with the SC and their reaction. Extremely frustrated with this company and their so-called customer service. And that’s an absolute understatement.

Update:

1) The person I interacted with at the SC is in fact one of the 3 managers. Turned out a super nice guy and gave me a call to sort out any misunderstanding. I appreciate that. Obviously, they are restricted to share the whole story up front. But the phone call was a very positive exchange and cleared up some of the previous ambiguities and I thanked him for it.

2) They have ordered a replacement battery for me :).

Update:

1) The person I interacted with at the SC is in fact one of the 3 managers. Turned out a super nice guy and gave me a call to sort out any misunderstanding. I appreciate that. Obviously, they are restricted to share the whole story up front. But the phone call was a very positive exchange and cleared up some of the previous ambiguities and I thanked him for it.

Did they say that they performed remote diagnostics on the battery to confirm that a replacement was necessary? Or does that letter pretty much mean that they are going to replace the pack?

Update:

KEWL! (Means cool for you hewmons).... We can only hope we score the Unicorns (1014116-00-A,B,C)

I telephoned the settlement administrator yesterday. To be precise, I left a voice mail message after sifting through their options.

So, for all the tech wizards and keen legal minds out there, I ask:

Why is there not a searchable list on their website by VIN? I have to assume that Tesla furnished them with the names, addresses, contact information, and VIN if they were included in the settlement. It seems to me that a PDF listing the last six digits of the VIN could be searched easily and quickly.

We would know whether we are included in the class or not regardless of receiving a postcard. Then there could be a page on their website to enter our VIN if we did not see ours listed. This could generate an automated reply with appropriate information to dispute the omission.

(Of course most of us did not maintain detailed records of the reduction in range for the period in question. And we truly don't know when Tesla restored this reduction as they said it could take several months for the BMS to do its voodoo and display the "restored" range correctly.)

Reactions: Droschke
Great question, @cpa , and that's something I have wondered about. I see the lack of a VIN lookup tool at the settlement administrator’s website poses multiple issues with major impacts. For example:
  • A VIN is on the list but the postcard is lost in the mail. The owner will receive the settlement check after May 5th, is surprised and is the one who would have liked to be excluded from the settlement.
  • A VIN is on the list but the postcard is lost in the mail. The check will be sent to the owner but the check, too, is lost. The eligible owner would stay totally in the dark.

I telephoned the settlement administrator yesterday. To be precise, I left a voice mail message after sifting through their options.

So, for all the tech wizards and keen legal minds out there, I ask:

Why is there not a searchable list on their website by VIN? I have to assume that Tesla furnished them with the names, addresses, contact information, and VIN if they were included in the settlement. It seems to me that a PDF listing the last six digits of the VIN could be searched easily and quickly.

We would know whether we are included in the class or not regardless of receiving a postcard. Then there could be a page on their website to enter our VIN if we did not see ours listed. This could generate an automated reply with appropriate information to dispute the omission.

(Of course most of us did not maintain detailed records of the reduction in range for the period in question. And we truly don't know when Tesla restored this reduction as they said it could take several months for the BMS to do its voodoo and display the "restored" range correctly.)
I hedged my bets... I emailed the administrator with my VIN and that I have not been restored. Not sure if thats why I got the notice to bring the car in for a test and possible replacement (they are replacing it).

Last edited:
Great question, @cpa , and that's something I have wondered about. I see the lack of a VIN lookup tool at the settlement administrator’s website poses multiple issues with major impacts. For example:
  • A VIN is on the list but the postcard is lost in the mail. The owner will receive the settlement check after May 5th, is surprised and is the one who would have liked to be excluded from the settlement.
  • A VIN is on the list but the postcard is lost in the mail. The check will be sent to the owner but the check, too, is lost. The eligible owner would stay totally in the dark.
As long as we are spinning the "what if" wheel: Q owned his car during the 2019 fiasco, and he sold it in September 2019. Who is the owner of record for that particular situation? Or he totaled the car instead of selling it?

Gee, ain't this fun? 😶

As long as we are spinning the "what if" wheel: Q owned his car during the 2019 fiasco, and he sold it in September 2019. Who is the owner of record for that particular situation? Or he totaled the car instead of selling it?

Gee, ain't this fun? 😶
Does this answer the scenario?

"If the Court approves the Settlement, Tesla will create a $1,500,000 Settlement Fund, from which eligible Settlement Class Members will receive payment of $625.00, unless the Settlement Class Member owned or leased the vehicle for only a portion of the time period May 15, 2019 through September 1, 2020 (i.e., because the vehicle was sold or transferred to a new lessee during that time), in which case the $625.00 payment will be prorated based on the number of months owned or leased."

Update:

That is awesome. I am happy to see that you are finally getting a new pack. Of all the people in this thread, I was really hoping things would turn out OK in the end for you. Let us know when it's installed.

Someone has filed an objection to the settlement: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.345967/gov.uscourts.cand.345967.59.0.pdf

They are demanding $10k or the restoration of their "full 300 mile range". Of course, from what I can tell there never was an 85kWh Model S with 300 miles of range, the highest Tesla advertised was 272 miles. And I guess they think there shouldn't be any battery degradation.

While they claim that they haven't been fully restored, they also don't provide any details on what their current full charge is. So it is an objection with not enough details and unrealistic demands.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and bhzmark
Someone has filed an objection to the settlement: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.345967/gov.uscourts.cand.345967.59.0.pdf

They are demanding $10k or the restoration of their "full 300 mile range". Of course, from what I can tell there never was an 85kWh Model S with 300 miles of range, the highest Tesla advertised was 272 miles. And I guess they think there shouldn't be any battery degradation.
Interesting objection for sure, I don't have an 85 pack but I am still curious to see the outcome of it.

As for the 300 miles of range claim:
"One of the points that we feel represents a useful summary of this data is the range at a constant 55 mph under the conditions above. For the 85 kWh Model S this is slightly greater than 300 miles."

We all know there are A LOT of factors to range so I feel like picking any number not on the EPA sticker on the vehicle would be difficult to justify as an expectation.

Yes, I started seeing completely nonsensical values, <3.2V and >4.2V. Best of luck!

Thank you for the extensive update @Lewis88 , please let us know what kind of replacement you are getting in the Netherlands. It has been a while since i have connected SMT to my car. I will check on my imbalance how that is progressing.

SeC Groningen gave me a call, I will get a loaner today and battery will be replaced in around 2 weeks. Pretty damn happy with that. I will report back which one, Sorry for contaminating this topic ;).

So I had my battery replaced on April 15th. Unfortunately I got a REMAN 85 pack. It was delivered at 20% charge and charged up to 100% by Tesla Groningen The Netherlands. So no new 350V pack.

My range went up substaintially and was again nominal for the fleet.

1652557368866.png

BUT. Yesterday the REMAN pack has failed, the car is now back at Tesla and they estimate it will take another 3 week to fix it. Can you believe it? If I dont get a 350V pack I will sell the car before december comes (the 8yr) warranty. This does not feel good!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220415-172852.png
    Screenshot_20220415-172852.png
    519.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20220415-172900.png
    Screenshot_20220415-172900.png
    480.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20220415-172908.png
    Screenshot_20220415-172908.png
    631.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20220415-172911.png
    Screenshot_20220415-172911.png