Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I head my 2013 tesla a p85 for the past 4yrs I was able to charge my car 285-305 miles full charge. Week ago I took my car for 8GB ram recall and when I got my car back I my full change range dropped to 243 miles. I contact tesla and they told me my battery is out of warranty. So I explain to them this can not be a battery! This happen over night in tesla service center. To replace my 8gb card they keep my car for two days.
You were looking at "ideal" range setting before the ram replacement, it's now set to display "rated" range. Nothing to do with your battery.

I head my 2013 tesla a p85 for the past 4yrs I was able to charge my car 285-305 miles full charge. Week ago I took my car for 8GB ram recall and when I got my car back I my full change range dropped to 243 miles. I contact tesla and they told me my battery is out of warranty. So I explain to them this can not be a battery! This happen over night in tesla service center. To replace my 8gb card they keep my car for two days.

Was your "285-305 miles full charge" the Rated Miles or the Ideal Miles?

20220617_095339.jpg

If you goto settings, Display, Energy Display, and set it to "Ideal", it will likely show what you were reporting before. FWIW, Ideal should never be used. It has no real world bearing on the battery state, or how many miles you will get.

Reactions: Fiver and Droschke
For those interested in the final motion for the settlement, signed and dated on June 21, 2022:
  1. Go to page 1 of this thread.
  2. Click on the link "CourtListener.com Rasmussen v. Tesla - The Latest Docket Documents" under "The Latest Docket Entries".
  3. Click on "Order on Motion for Settlement AND Order on Motion for Attorney Fees — Document #64".
Thank you @DJRas

I am currently on aroad trip in Canadian Maritimes and I am only relying on the Supercharger network. I am pleasantly surprised I am at 110-125 on the SoC+Power. It is really keeping a good pace until 30% and then slowly tapers. This 85D pack seems to be better, but will keep my eyes open for a newer 350V pack anyways.

The May 2019 update reduced range from about 250 miles to about 220 miles. You experienced about 1/3 of that and likely was not one of the affected cars.
Maybe. If mine is not one of the affected cars then I would love to know why my ranged suddenly dropped from 256 to no more than 246. I did the battery capacity calculation using the (average power consumption * projected range) / battery %SOC and arrive at 71.308kWh. I recall doing this exercise back in early 2019 and getting something like 77.6.

I'm wondering if I need to get one of those CANBUS readers to see what's actually going on with my Vmax. If only I had some documentation, but it took us all awhile to figure out that something was wrong.

I got this one for $99.95 in late 2020. It's up to $139.95 now, a 40% increase. Not double, but still nuts compared to overall inflation of 10%-15%.
In December of 2019, the price of that reader dropped from $80 to $59. I forgot to buy it at that price and shortly after in 2020, it started to climb to ~$100 and now at $140.

I got this one for $99.95 in late 2020. It's up to $139.95 now, a 40% increase. Not double, but still nuts compared to overall inflation of 10%-15%.

In December of 2019, the price of that reader dropped from $80 to $59. I forgot to buy it at that price and shortly after in 2020, it started to climb to ~$100 and now at $140.

I use the LX: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/

Was $50 2 years ago, now $90. I don't know what the differences are between my LX and the MX+ (besides $50); the LX works fine with SMT

Reactions: Droschke